Author Topic: 6-in-1 Tomatoes  (Read 56225 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: 6-in-1 Tomatoes
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2007, 04:36:00 AM »
What does the 6-in-1 mean? I have yet to see this discussed.

6 uses out of one product .........of course!

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2007, 06:10:37 AM »
 ::)

And those are? :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2007, 11:26:03 AM »
Hey all, looking to finally try the 6 in 1 tomatoes.  Just copleted (to the point of function) my handbuilt brick oven and am looking for the best of the best.  these look like it.  I am in southern NH and am wondering if anyone knows where to buy these local. Scott, I know your kinda close Anyone ? thanks -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2007, 02:20:07 PM »
Widespread, there are a few places here in Ma that will sell to you, but the only place I know of that sells the small cans is a place called J. Russo produce in Watertown Ma.  Most home pizza makers prefer these small cans.  Your other option the #10 cans are really huge.   If you end up going over there make sure you try the LA Bella and the La Regina Whole peeled tomatoes as well.   All of these are there at the retail level so you don't have to buy a case of one kind.  Also this place has the best produce I have found in MA, and at the best prices, plus an amazing selection of gourmet cheeses and Italian meats.  I would say it is worth the drive.  Very close to J. Russo is Fulchaneti's market (sp?) in Waltham, and they will sell you grande cheese by the pound.  This is a small corner store that will sell you the whole milk or the part skim.  Definitely mapquest this place as it is very off the beaten path.

With the Whole peeled tomatoes just put them in the blender then strain most of the water out.  To these you will also need to add salt. You may end up preferring them to the 6 in 1.  Good Luck!

Offline sharjk

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2007, 03:52:49 PM »
can 6 in 1 tomatoes be bought anywhere around phoenix az.???

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
Very close to J. Russo is Fulchaneti's market (sp?) in Waltham, and they will sell you grande cheese by the pound.  This is a small corner store that will sell you the whole milk or the part skim.  Definitely mapquest this place as it is very off the beaten path.

The place is Fulciniti's Italian Specialties, at 121 Hammond St., Waltham, MA 02154 (tel. 781-893-2276). When I was in Massachusetts recently, I had a friend who lives a couple of blocks from Fulciniti's pick up a pound of Grande low-moisture part skim and Grande whole-milk mozzarella for me to bring back to Texas, and the total was around $19. Prices weren't a great deal better for the balls of the Dragone (Saputo) whole-milk mozzarella that I bought from a local Stop&Shop. Clearly, the price increases in mozzarella cheese is hitting the retail level quite hard. Some pizza operators are seeing around $2.50 a pound for the Grande (for volume purchases), with a few paying over $3 a pound. They continue to use the Grande because they apparently can use less of it per pizza than other brands, it holds up to high heat better, and their customers like it and many can tell the difference when the operators try to switch to cheaper brands.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:18:59 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline DomeZone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »
Hi
has anyone compared 6-1 to red pack ?
for use on a NYS street pie? which would be better?

thanks mike

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
I've used both of them, but I prefer 6-1. Also, I thought 6-1 meant 6 types of tomatoes used in the blend.

Offline ManChicken

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2007, 12:35:33 AM »
What is the shelf life of canned tomatoes?  I just ordered some 6-in-1 direct from Escalon but previously I'd been buying from a little italian market near where I used to work.. but I think I was the only one buying, because it never looked like the cans were re-stacked and they all looked a little bit worn.  After reading through some other threads here and finding the date codes, it looks like what I've got were packed in Aug 2005 - so just over 2 years old.

Offline dwhite

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
I went to the Escalon website and tried to order the 6 in 1 'peeled' tomatoes and there isn't an option for this when you click on the 'shop' link.  It only offers the all purpose ground tonmatoes.  Has anyone had any luck ordering the peeled tomatoes on their web site?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »
What you see there is what you get for 28 oz. cans of their products.  They don't do the 6 in 1 peeled in small cans.  The full product line is available in #10 cans.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Online dmcavanagh

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
6 in 1 are good tomatoes, but i have a hard time finding them locally and get sick of paying the price to have them shipped. As a result, i have been sampling many brands of crushed tomatoes and have found 2 that 6 in 1 fans will be happy with. The best so far (i like them a little better than 6 in 1) are Sclafani crushed tomatoes. Another brand that is very close is Pastene crushed tomatoes, ofter referred to as "kitchen ready". Both of these brands do not include skins the way that 6 in 1 does.

Online dmcavanagh

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »
This thread inspired me to order a 6 pack of 6 in 1 tomatoes. Happy to report that the price is still $16.50 for the 6, that includes the shipping. Will do another testing against Sclafani and Pastene and see if my past findings hold up.

Offline Phone Guy

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
This has got to be the best continuous deal for any product I have ever purchased. Still the same price. Just amazing, purchased 6 more today.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
Phone Guy,

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16096.0.html.

Peter

Offline pizza Doug

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »
When I first discovered 6 in 1's a few years ago, I ordered them from Escalon directly.  Their product and shipping charges were very reasonable which was less then a grocery store price of 28oz can of S&W or Hunts.

I now buy 6-in-1 canned tomatoes at a Costco Business center, City of Commerce in California.  They only sell #10 can,  for approximately $3.25  :P.   Restaurant Depot in Fountain Valley, CA carries 6in1's also.

If you have a Costco Business center around, it's worth checking them out.  Your regular Costco membership grants you access there too, it's not just for business memberships.  Note: Business Center hours are different then the regular Costco wherehouses, usually 8-6 and maybe closed on Sundays.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:24:18 PM by pizza Doug »

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
This thread inspired me to order a 6 pack of 6 in 1 tomatoes. Happy to report that the price is still $16.50 for the 6, that includes the shipping.
I now buy 6-in-1 canned tomatoes at a Costco Business center, City of Commerce in California.  They only sell #10 can,  for approximately $3.25  :P.   Restaurant Depot in Fountain Valley, CA carries 6in1's also.

And as of April 2012 I am happy to report that the price for 6 cans is still $16.50.  I don't have a Costco Business center anywhere nearby, but I just find 28 oz. cans so much easier to use at home.

My six pack of 6 in 1's came Thursday, but I still have some sauce from my last batch to use up first.  Then I will see what all the discussion is about.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »

Here's a Thought...For us that cannot use a #10 can, divide the tomatoes into sandwich ziplocks for 2-4 pizzas each, remove as much air as possible, and place into a gallon ziplock, remove as much air as possible (straw works well), and freeze...When you need sauce, defrost, then season to your tastes and use...I have seen no degrading of quality...Now you can enjoy the price break of buying in quantity...

RJelli  :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Online dmcavanagh

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
@RJelli

I gotta disagree with you on this one, once canned tomatoes are frozen that just aren't the same. Any port in a strom, so if you have to you have to, but the frozen never compare to right out of the can. Any tomatoes I have tried to freeze by this method have ALWAYS separated and become watery.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2012, 02:43:47 PM »

DCav...

Have not noticed wateriness....Next time I will cut right out of the can vs frozen to see if I detect a difference...So far, it seems to work for me, but unless you taste side by side, many times you cannot distinguish the difference...Will let you know in the future...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

pizzapan