Author Topic: KitchenAid  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
KitchenAid
« on: December 06, 2003, 07:17:19 AM »
Anyone else notice that when a pizza dough recipe calls for less than 16 oz of flour the KitchenAid 5 qt mixer doesnít knead as well as a recipe with 16 oz or more flour?
Although it still works the dough is inconsistent when less than 16 oz.
Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:KitchenAid
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 11:05:31 AM »
I don't guess I have noticed.  Of course a lot of my recipes call for  more then 16oz of flour so I wouldn't encounter it much.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 11:44:49 AM »
How many cups is 16oz? :)  

If true, your hypothesis would confirm something I have always half-suspected--that part of the reason for the "taste" of a professional pizza comes from the dough being made in bulk to start with by a professional mixer, rather than being made in very small batches by a home mixer.  Of course, I know there are other factors (professional additives, etc), but your hypothesis plays right into my uninformed speculations :)

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 09:07:44 AM »
From my reading, A measured cup of flour that was first fluffed then lightly spooned into a dry measuring cup should way 4.25 oz.  It is estimated that the average home bakerís cup of flour usually comes out at around 5 oz.

I agree with you Dave on the larger batches.  If you run across a good price on a scale you will find your recipes will be very consistent.

Randy

pizzapan