Author Topic: Cost of a pizza  (Read 42162 times)

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
Cost of a pizza
« on: July 09, 2005, 11:35:04 AM »
Can anyone tell me the average wholesale cost (excluding labor) to make a 16" (large) pizza with cheese and two toppings? I can figure it out at the retail level (my cost), but what would it cost a pizza shop/restaurant to make?

Tony

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Cost of a pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:48:25 PM »
Tony,

The answer to your question depends on who is making the pizza, what the exact toppings are, and the quality and amount of each topping. Obviously, a chain like Papa John's or Domino's will get better pricing on a per unit basis than will a mom-and-pop operator because of greater volume and bargaining power. But, as a typical example, I have read that a 16-inch pizza with 10-ounces of mozzarella cheese, sauce, and 6 ounces of pepperoni will cost an operator around $2 (for the ingredients). I would guess that adding an additional topping might increase the cost by another 10-20 cents, depending on the topping. The dough itself will typically cost $0.011/ounce if made from scratch. For a 16-inch size using about 21 ounces of dough that would come to about $0.23. Generally speaking, the most expensive pizza item is the cheese.

Another example I saw was $1.70-$1.80 for a 16-inch pie with 12 ounces of mozzarella cheese and 8 ounces of sauce.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 01:19:59 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
I'll take a guess and will probably be wrong. If you are trying to figure out total cost, you need to add labor and overhead if you are trying to figure out what it costs for a pizzeria to make it vs. you at home. However their costs of product used is lower than what it would cost you since they buy in volume. Anyway, I read that some pizzeria's, not all, try to keep their resale at 3.5 times their cost. So if they are selling for $10, their cost should be $2.80 or something like that. That doesn't include their overhead, just the cost of ingrediants used to make the pie.. For me at home, my dough costs under a dollar, the sauce is probably around .50 at most, cheese is around 1.50-2.00, pepperoni's are a penny each so if you put 20 on, that's 20 cents...you can figure out the rest depending on what  you put on it. My cost if different than everyone elses I guess..but that's mine, around 3.50-4.00
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 01:16:22 PM by scampi »

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 09:33:46 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Tony

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »
Back in 83, it costed about 1.25

Offline lilpizzaplace_ohio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 09:07:05 PM »
This is a one topping 16 inch...at 12.99...some say it's a low price, others say it isn't...I think it depends on your area..
lilpizzaplace

Offline Furo

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:19:48 PM »
 :o If that tastes even half as good as it looks you could sell it for over $20.00 in Kansas City!!!!!!!
Being crazy isn't a necessity but it sure is FUN!

Offline lilpizzaplace_ohio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:05:56 PM »
haha trust me......its good...I eat pizza from there almost every day myself...That says alot!! the sauce and the cheese are to DIE for!
lilpizzaplace

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 08:45:19 AM »
lilpizzaplace........
I really like the way your pepperoni cups......what brand do you use ???
Thanks.....
Buffalo

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:30:45 PM »
do you have a dollar figure of what this pizza cost to actually make though ? , the original poster
I think was interested in the actual *cost* of making a pizza, but I'm not sure if you work there
or just order your pizza there.

This is a one topping 16 inch...at 12.99...some say it's a low price, others say it isn't...I think it depends on your area..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:37:24 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
whats up in kansas city? no good shops around or is $20 market for a 16inch pie

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 08:34:21 PM »
lilpizzaplace........
I really like the way your pepperoni cups......what brand do you use ???
Thanks.....
Buffalo

not sure but I know swiss american pepperoni cups like that.  www.sasausage.com
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline KingPinAlley

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:42:34 AM »
that pepperoni pizza looks awsome!!

I'm using Roma products.  I only make 18in pizza's and sell whole or by the slice. 

My one topping is $13.99

dough $.44
cheese $1.70....8oz of 50% Grande ($2.50 a lb.) and 50% of a quality blend Roma cheese
sauce $.28...4oz of crushed tomato blend and 4oz of sauce (secret)
pepp. $.40...quality Roma pepperoni product

It's about 3$ a pizza but it's a great quality.  I charge $2 a slice and do a lot of that business.   At 8 slices a pie i'm getting $16 for a pep pizza!! 

What you have to watch is the 40 cent pizza boxes and the other 30 cents in togo parm cheese packs and crushed red peppers!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
that pepperoni pizza looks awsome!!

I'm using Roma products.  I only make 18in pizza's and sell whole or by the slice. 

My one topping is $13.99

dough $.44
cheese $1.70....8oz of 50% Grande ($2.50 a lb.) and 50% of a quality blend Roma cheese
sauce $.28...4oz of crushed tomato blend and 4oz of sauce (secret)
pepp. $.40...quality Roma pepperoni product

It's about 3$ a pizza but it's a great quality.  I charge $2 a slice and do a lot of that business.   At 8 slices a pie i'm getting $16 for a pep pizza!! 

What you have to watch is the 40 cent pizza boxes and the other 30 cents in togo parm cheese packs and crushed red peppers!!
I think the math is a 'lil "funny" here.......but it's 6 years later now and I'm wondering what a pizza costs to make now a days in your area. Let's hear from everyone....home cooks and the pro's!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline La Sera

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
The pizza business can be lucrative for a savvy operator in a decent market. Most independent operators strive for about 20% food cost on pizza. If a place is running over 25%, their pricing is too low. Some markets are destroyed by low-ball chains. A chain doesn't need to earn a living from a single store.

Side order costs are are a different animal.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Great info La Sera.....thanks!

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »
The pizza business can be lucrative for a savvy operator in a decent market. Most independent operators strive for about 20% food cost on pizza. If a place is running over 25%, their pricing is too low. Some markets are destroyed by low-ball chains. A chain doesn't need to earn a living from a single store.

Side order costs are are a different animal.

So if a pizza costs five dollars I should be charging 25 dollars? for a large pie with eight slices that would be about 3.25 a slice, I suppose that is reasonable and perhaps high quality.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
Keep in mind that you can't deposit a % in the bank - just $.

Formulas and rules are almost never a good way to price things.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
So if a pizza costs five dollars I should be charging 25 dollars? for a large pie with eight slices that would be about 3.25 a slice, I suppose that is reasonable and perhaps high quality.
Not out of the question at all IMO. I see pizzerias all the time that proclaim "gourmet toppings" and this 20-25 dollars is a common price point. And believe me, their gourmet stuff is not the high dollar products that the menu descriptions would leave you to think they are using if you know what I mean.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »
The numbers I have run for 14" and 16" pizza dine in with quality ingredients will never make a 20% food cost, much less delivery.  Figure closer to 30%, and 35% for delivery.

pizzapan