Author Topic: Cook the Book: Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough on Slice  (Read 14325 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Cook the Book: Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough on Slice
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
wow!  GREAT job norma!!! 

CDNpielover,

Thanks!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2011, 08:11:13 PM »
This in one more picture of the rim ripped apart to be able to see the peppers in the crumb, after the pizza cooled down.

Norma

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2011, 03:06:01 PM »
One more try at this recipe this time cooking at a higher temperature using the Weber Kettle Grill - only had this a short time and still experimenting with it. Anyway stone temperature was at around 725 and air temp was unknown since the thermometer on the grill only goes to 700 but well north of that. Pies cooked in around 3 minutes.

Same flavor and crust with some charing around the rim that I did not get in the home oven.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
FVG,

Your Nancy Silvertonís pie made in your Weber Kettle Grill look very tasty!  :) Your crumb and crust do look very good.

Did you also only make one dough ball?  It is interesting that you posted you couldnít get the same results in your home oven.

Norma

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
The main difference between the Home oven and the Weber grill was the bottom char and the cook time - overall flavor and the crust was the same for both. Only made one dough ball today that I used outside but had used this recipe twice in the past with good results in the kitchen.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
The main difference between the Home oven and the Weber grill was the bottom char and the cook time - overall flavor and the crust was the same for both. Only made one dough ball today that I used outside but had used this recipe twice in the past with good results in the kitchen.

FVG,

I can understand your Weber grill would bake the Nancy Silvertonís pizza different.  If it wasnít so cold outside in our area, I will fire-up my modded BBQ grill and give this dough a try in there. 

Glad to hear you also had good results in your home oven.  :) Did you have to tweak the hydration at all?  I also wanted to ask you what kind of bread flour you used. 

Norma

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
I have been keeping the hydration levels unchanged and have also tried tinroof's modified Mozza recipe as well - both have worked well. Working with these doughs takes some getting used to. Making them is easy - getting them shaped into the pizza a bit more challenging with those hydration levels but everyone who has tried them loves them so I keep making it.

I use King Arthur bread flour - first couple of tries I used all bread flour. This time I used the bread flour in the sponge but then used Caputo 00 when making the dough as it tolerates the higher temperatures much better and was afraid the all bread flour would burn. Next try I may use all 00 and see how that comes.

Had a nice mild day outside today - upper 50's - so i gave the grill a try.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
I have been keeping the hydration levels unchanged and have also tried tinroof's modified Mozza recipe as well - both have worked well. Working with these doughs takes some getting used to. Making them is easy - getting them shaped into the pizza a bit more challenging with those hydration levels but everyone who has tried them loves them so I keep making it.

I use King Arthur bread flour - first couple of tries I used all bread flour. This time I used the bread flour in the sponge but then used Caputo 00 when making the dough as it tolerates the higher temperatures much better and was afraid the all bread flour would burn. Next try I may use all 00 and see how that comes.

Had a nice mild day outside today - upper 50's - so i gave the grill a try.

FVG,

Glad to hear you can keep the hydration levels unchanged and Tin Roofís modified Mozza recipe works well for you too.  I can understand this dough takes getting used with the high hydration levels.  I am happy to hear that everyone that has tried your pizzas do love them.   :)

Thanks for telling me what flours you used.  It is interesting that you used bread flour in the sponge and Caputo 00 flour in the final dough.  That was good thinking if you want to make a pizza in a hotter oven.  

Your temperature in your area today is a lot better than our temperatures lately.  It was only in the 30ís in our area today.

I hope to do more work with this formula in the future.  I canít get good results with using all the hydration so far.  Maybe someday I will get to try this formula out in my friends Steve's WFO.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
I donít know if anyone saw these videos or not, but thought I would post it on this thread.

Nancy Silverton-Pizzeria Mozza Part 1 Los Angeles

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/675/hanging_with_harris_mozza_los_angeles_1/

And Part 2 Matt Molina-Pizzeria Mozza

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/676/hanging_with_harris_mozza_los_angeles_2/

Norma

Offline Braddeo

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
I know I'm late to this thread, but I decided to try this pizza out this weekend.  Pete-zza, thanks for posting the percentages.  That will come in handy.  I've been baking through Silverton's Breads from La Brea Bakery throughout the past year in a sourdough detour and am getting back to experimenting with pizza again.  Wish me luck!
Bradley

Offline Braddeo

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »
Made the pizzas last night - did it straight per the recipe. Same day dough.

The first photo shows the preferment at 12:30.  The second photo has the preferment when I uncovered at 2:00.  The next shot is after mixing - it was very wet. I set it to proof for 45 minutes on the counter, then had my wife do the fold over per the recipe.  Proofed another 45 mins, prepped and baked.  I missed a few crucial photos in between.  I found the dough to be airy, but manageable enough without an obscene amount of bench flour or anything - very similar to foccacia.  I think next time I'll try an overnight ferment to see what happens.
Bradley

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
Bradley,

Thanks for showing photos of the process!  Your pizzas look nice.

Norma

pizzapan