Author Topic: Cook the Book: Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough on Slice  (Read 14844 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Cook the Book: Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough on Slice
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
After multiple stretch and folds, I finally got my Nancy Silvertonís Dough manageable.  I just went with a straight dough and just for kicks, I added 2 grams of Grandmaís molasses (besides the honey), and 1/8 tsp. of dry malt.  I used Better for Bread flour and Dark Rye Flour in the formula.  I coated the dough ball in coarse corn meal, because lately I seem to like the extra taste of corn meal.  I used the expanded dough calculation tool to change Peterís formula he set-forth for a 12Ē pizza to a 14Ē pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 05:16:07 AM »
Gave this dough a try over the weekend - turned out fairly good but the high hydration made working with the dough a bit difficult. I have used up to around mid to high 60's hydration in the past but nothing approaching this one.

Cooked with the oven set to 525 with the stone temp at around 575. Used the recipe as is but broke into 4 dough balls instead of 4

Normally use a small amount of Semolina flour on the peel for sliding - needed to use quite a bit more than usual to keep is sliding off the peel.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
Gave this dough a try over the weekend - turned out fairly good but the high hydration made working with the dough a bit difficult. I have used up to around mid to high 60's hydration in the past but nothing approaching this one.

Cooked with the oven set to 525 with the stone temp at around 575. Used the recipe as is but broke into 4 dough balls instead of 4

Normally use a small amount of Semolina flour on the peel for sliding - needed to use quite a bit more than usual to keep is sliding off the peel.

FVG,

You did a great job of working with a high hydration dough for the first time!  :) Glad to hear you could get the pie off the peel.  How was the taste of the crust?  I even have a hard time working with high hydration doughs.  It is always a challenge with high hydrations doughs, even after I have tried some Pizzarium, Tartine breads, and other doughs with high hydrations.

Norma 

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:31 AM »
Norma:

Tasted quite good - one of the best same day doughs I have made - the texture, chewiness, and crispness was close to the 24 hour cold rise doughs I have used in the past. A good bite to the bottom of the crust without being "crunchy".

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
Norma:

Tasted quite good - one of the best same day doughs I have made - the texture, chewiness, and crispness was close to the 24 hour cold rise doughs I have used in the past. A good bite to the bottom of the crust without being "crunchy".

FWG,

Thanks for telling us about the texture, chewiness and crispness.  I cold fermented my dough overnight, because I couldn't make it at market today because of time restraints.  Will see how it works outs.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 08:36:55 AM »
As I had posted in the MMís thread at this reply
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg157997.html#msg157997  my pictures were deleted of my attempt at the Nancy Silvertonís Pizza dough.  All I can say without the pictures, is the pie did turn out well.  The dough was very soft and fermented well in the time since I had mixed it.  The dough ball was delicate, but could be stretched out well without sticking or tearing to a 14Ē pizza. I dusted the peel with light fine cornmeal.  Steve, my taste testers, and I all really liked this different pizza.  From the dark rye in the formula it sure made an interesting pizza, and gave the pizza a really different taste.  The rim was moist, and the pie had a decent crunch.  Steve said he might give the formula a go in his WFO.  I tried another experiment on the crust when the pie was baked.  Steve and I brushed the rim with melted butter with garlic powder, then sprinkled Paramesan cheese on the rim and then put the pie back into the oven for a little.  I wanted to try this because I had wondered if MMís might be doing something similar to this to get a glossy look on their rims on their finished pizzas.  It did make the rim glossy, and it also made the rim a little browner,  but I donít know if MMís is using that method.  It was just an experiment.  If Steve looks at this post, he can comment on how he liked the pie and what it looked like, because he did eat some of the pizza.

Sorry, no pictures this time.

Norma

Offline pabsey

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
Hi pabsey,
Any idea how much you reduced the hydration?   How long did you bake it at what temp?  I might try again with caputo and not primo guisto bromated flour.
I had it at about 62% hydration and cooked at 750-800 degrees. I use half Dakota maid all purpose and half Dakota maid bread flour.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:50:50 PM by pabsey »

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
Posting some better pictures from last weekend

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
Posting some better pictures from last weekend

FVG,

Your pizza looks very tasty in the pictures you just posted!  :)  I really like the crumb shot.

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
norma, i picked up her book this week and tried her dough recipe last night.i cooked in my daughters oven which is gas but didn't get above 550 degrees.the dough took about 8 minutes to cook and didn't brown as much as i would have liked it to. i did margherita using my normal wood fired pizza sauce with the addition of sicilian oregano. the pizza was o.k it would have been much better cooked quicker at a higher temperature. not giving up will have to play with the oven to get it hotter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »
norma, i picked up her book this week and tried her dough recipe last night.i cooked in my daughters oven which is gas but didn't get above 550 degrees.the dough took about 8 minutes to cook and didn't brown as much as i would have liked it to. i did margherita using my normal wood fired pizza sauce with the addition of sicilian oregano. the pizza was o.k it would have been much better cooked quicker at a higher temperature. not giving up will have to play with the oven to get it hotter

Larry,

You pie looks very tasty from the recipe in Nancy Silvertonís book.  :)  I also want to play around with this recipe for this coming week.  I did really like the results and so did my taste testers. 

Did you have any problems with the high hydration dough and did you have to do stretch and folds?  How did you like the wheat germ and rye in the taste of the crust? 

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
 the high hydration dough is a challenge. i tend to work flour around the outside of the dough ball to form it. then add flour to the peel and turn the dough to dry up the outside. i cannot work that type of dough on anything but a wood peel.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
the high hydration dough is a challenge. i tend to work flour around the outside of the dough ball to form it. then add flour to the peel and turn the dough to dry up the outside. i cannot work that type of dough on anything but a wood peel.

Larry,

Thanks for explaining your method for managing this high hydration dough. 

Norma

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 06:29:55 AM »
Wooden Peel with plenty of Semolina flour on it and tested more than once to ensure it would slide before adding any toppings. The stickiness aside it work quite well and was easy to stretch.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »
Wooden Peel with plenty of Semolina flour on it and tested more than once to ensure it would slide before adding any toppings. The stickiness aside it work quite well and was easy to stretch.

FVG,

Thanks for posting you used plenty of Semolina flour.  Good to hear the dough was easy to stretch.  How did the baked pizzas turn out?

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »
FVG, your pizza had great color what temperature did you cook at? about how long did it take? last question what did you use for your sauce?the pizza looked really good. i think her dough is really good. i reminds me of a good french bread.

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »

The oven temperature was set to 525 - in my oven this gets the stone temp to 575. The stone is a Fibrament that I have had for quite a while and it cooks in around 6 to 7 minutes.

The sauce is just crushed tomatoes seasoned with garlic and onion powder, basil, pepper, and just a touch of cayenne pepper.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
I mixed another attempt for a Nancy Silverton dough this morning using Mondako flour as the main flour, since it seems to be more in line with a bread protein flour.  The rated absorption is supposed to 62% and the protein level is supposed to be 11.9%  When mixing the formula it seems this flour is a better choice than the flour I used last week, because it didnít need as many stretch and folds to get it under control.  I decreased the amount of ADY for a 2 day cold ferment.

Formula and dough ball.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:53 AM »
This is what my Nancy Silverton's dough ball looked like this morning.

Norma