Author Topic: Cook the Book: Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough on Slice  (Read 14110 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Cook the Book: Nancy Silverton's Pizza Dough on Slice
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2011, 10:12:10 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 07:15:43 AM »
At least the Nancy Silverton's dough ball could be formed.  Still don't know how it will bake though.  I didn't add any extra flour in the mix or on the bench.

Norma

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »
I have made some adjustments to the Nancy Silverton Mozza dough recipe and have posted them here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16437.msg160478.html#msg160478

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
I have made some adjustments to the Nancy Silverton Mozza dough recipe and have posted them here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16437.msg160478.html#msg160478

Tin Roof,

I saw your post at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16437.msg160478.html#msg160478  and read with interest about you modifying the Mozza Recipe.  I had wondered how you handled the sticky dough, and also wondered what kind of bread flour you were using.  I didnít try barley malt in my Nancy Silverton Dough, but used honey.  Since Peter set-forth a formula in bakerís percent, I thought I would stay on my thread, and also watch your results on your thread since you also included a sourdough starter in combination with yeast in your modified formula.  I have used sourdough starters, but didnít think about using one in the Nancy Silverton Dough.  I can understand that would make a better tasting pizza. 

Do you mind telling me what kind of bread flour you are using in your formula?  I havenít had much success with my attempts.  I havenít played around a lot with real high hydration doughs, but I guess I will learn.  Congrats on your success with you modified formula.  :) 

Norma

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »
I typically use King Arthur AP flour and high gluten flour I get at Smart and Final. I think it's called Romanella. 

The high hydration dough is a bit challenging sometimes.  I find that the "turns" really help to get the dough effectively hydrated and less sticky.  Also I can tell you that at Mozza they use bench flour very liberally when forming the pizzas, and they put plenty of corn meal on the pizza peel when they are dressing the pizzas. 

Regarding the barley malt, when I attended the Mozza pizza making class, they told us that the barley malt is an important ingredient as far as dough development goes, better than honey if you have it.  Same with the wheat germ.  Apparently it makes a significant difference in the development of the dough. 

It might be interesting to reduce the hydration of the dough a few percentage points to see what the difference would be in terms of managing the dough and flavor. I think this dough would still taste great at a slightly lower hydration. 

Thanks for your response. I hope you will be enjoying some turkey pizza later in the week! 

Regards,

Tin Roof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
I typically use King Arthur AP flour and high gluten flour I get at Smart and Final. I think it's called Romanella. 

The high hydration dough is a bit challenging sometimes.  I find that the "turns" really help to get the dough effectively hydrated and less sticky.  Also I can tell you that at Mozza they use bench flour very liberally when forming the pizzas, and they put plenty of corn meal on the pizza peel when they are dressing the pizzas. 

Regarding the barley malt, when I attended the Mozza pizza making class, they told us that the barley malt is an important ingredient as far as dough development goes, better than honey if you have it.  Same with the wheat germ.  Apparently it makes a significant difference in the development of the dough. 

It might be interesting to reduce the hydration of the dough a few percentage points to see what the difference would be in terms of managing the dough and flavor. I think this dough would still taste great at a slightly lower hydration. 

Thanks for your response. I hope you will be enjoying some turkey pizza later in the week! 

Regards,

Tin Roof

Tin Roof,

Thanks for telling me what kind of flours you used for your formulation.  I agree so far, the high hydration is a bit challenging.  Thanks for telling me the turns really help to get your dough effectively hydrated and less sticky.  I didnít use any bench flour, so maybe that is one of my problems, too. 

I do have dry barley malt, but donít know if that is the right kind to use.  I did use wheat germ in the formulation. 

I think it would be interesting to decrease the hydration a little too.  I donít know if I will have turkey pizza this week, but if you do, hope you enjoy it. 

Thanks for your response and I will be watching your thread with interest too.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Well, even after I tamed the beast of the high hydration dough and thought I left the preferment for the Nancy Silverton bubble enough, the results of my attempt were disappointing.  The dough was left out to warm-up for the better part of yesterday.  There almost wasnít any rise or fermentation going on in the dough.  The dough ball was easy to open with no stickiness, but when baked in the oven, there was hardly any oven spring.  The taste of the crust was also bland.  It makes me wonder if the yeast in the preferment was almost depleted, since there was almost no oven spring and a bland taste in the crust.  I had wondered before why no yeast would be added to the final dough, but now it even makes me wonder more, if yeast would have been used in the final dough if better results would have been achieved.  I had thought there is usually some kind of yeast added to a final dough when a preferment is used, but this formulation doesnít call for any yeast to be added in the final dough, unless it would be modified.  I sure canít figure out if I didnít mix the dough right, let the dough ferment longer, or maybe execute the formula right, or might have done something else wrong.

Does anyone know why my Nancy Silvertonís dough and pizza turned out the way it did?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 07:31:38 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 07:33:24 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Norma

Offline proxy

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
I searched all the web for pizza mozza recipe well before the book was published.

Recently bought the book to get the dough recipe.

Here is a picture of my last attempt of the fennel sausage pizza.

I made the sponge, let it rise for 1.5 hrs, then added the rest of the KA bread flour and let it rise in the fridge overnight.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7479/photosd.jpg

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
Looks like you got a nice rise on the edges. How did it taste? 

Tin Roof

Offline proxy

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
thx for the reply Tin Roof,

We have eaten pizza at Mozza about 5 times.   I have heard that the only pizzas that might be tastier than Mozza's are Pizzeria Biancos in AZ, but I haven't been there yet.

My wife says that the flavor of my crust was better than Mozza.  But in MY opinion, the crust was NOT as nice tasting as Mozza's. Mozza seems to get a better rise and flavor. 

So, I still am on quest figure out the best recipe to duplicate this pizza.

I have read all that I could find about making this dough.

I have read your post of improved recipe (thanks for sharing), and would like to try it sometime.  But I'm not sure where to find sourdough starter, maybe I need to make it myself.

I have watched Peter Reinhart's videos of how the dough is made at the La Brea bakery (with that splash of secret ingredients).  Clearly Nancy doesn't want to hand over the recipe to her pizza and have copy-cat pizzerias making exact same dough. So, she formulated this recipe which is meant to work well in regular ovens, which it does.

But I need to figure out the best exact recipe that can be replicated over and over.

Last time, I had to divert from the recipe and keep adding dough to my KA mixer to reduce hydration to make the dough a little tighter, as I keep kneading it (before the over night dough rise).

I also tested baking the pie in my Big Steel Keg (komodo style cooker), where I was able to get the heat to ~700 degrees, but I had some problems, with bottom of the pizza burning (seems like stone gets hotter than the heat coming down from the dome of the Keg.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
I've been to Mozza four times. Each time I love it more. Although the pizza at the Los Angeles venue is slightly better than Orange County. Not sure why. But OC is very close to my home and office so I will be going there a lot more than Los Angeles.   

I think you are right about Nancy not wanting to have her real recipe spread around. I don't blame her.  I think this recipe is pretty good indeed. I went to the pizza making class in LA and they gave us the same recipe that was in the cookbook.  At the time they said the book would have the real recipe, but no dice.  I did ask the chef what the difference would be, and he said less yeast, more time to ferment the dough, and some malt (I'm not sure if they had malt in the recipe that we got at the pizza class). 

If you try my updated version you might like it. As you know from watching Peter R.'s video, the real recipe it is a two day dough, so maybe my "improved" version is closer to the real thing.  I think the addition of the sourdough culture is not that big of a deal, so I would encourage you to make it even if you don't have sourdough. 

That being said, it's really easy to make a sourdough culture. Basically all you have to do is mix up flour and water and leave it on the counter for a few days and you will have sourdough.  That is somewhat of an over simplification, but it's basically correct.  I can send you some of my culture in the mail if you would like.  You can private message me your address.  You only need a tiny bit of it in order to get started. 

Best regards, 

Tin Roof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »
I searched all the web for pizza mozza recipe well before the book was published.

Recently bought the book to get the dough recipe.

Here is a picture of my last attempt of the fennel sausage pizza.

I made the sponge, let it rise for 1.5 hrs, then added the rest of the KA bread flour and let it rise in the fridge overnight.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7479/photosd.jpg

Proxy,

Your fennel sausage Mozza  pizza attempt turned out very well.  :) Thanks for telling your methods.

Norma

Offline stephent

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
Tin Roof,
What kind of yeast did you use?  What was the temperature during the rise?  And, would you recommend adding more yeast (closer to the cookbook recipe) if I forgo the sourdough (I have Ischia culture but not active)?

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
Tin Roof,
What kind of yeast did you use?  What was the temperature during the rise?  And, would you recommend adding more yeast (closer to the cookbook recipe) if I forgo the sourdough (I have Ischia culture but not active)?

I used SAF Instant Yeast.  Temperature was room temp, approximately 70 degrees I would guess.  I don't think it is necessary to add more yeast if you omit the sourdough culture, assuming you have the time to allow the dough to fully rise.  The amount of sourdough used is quite small, and I don't think it makes a great deal of difference as far as leavening goes. I use it more as a flavoring agent to increase the complexity of the flavor of the dough. 

Regards, 

Tin Roof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
Tin Roof,

What do you think I might have done wrong in my last experiment, and could you give me any suggestions for my next attempt?

I would appreciate any help.   :)

Norma

pizzapan