Author Topic: Some advice for perfect dough -pizza party with G3 and 00 flour  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Pizzakoning

Re: Some advice for perfect dough -pizza party with G3 and 00 flour
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
What do you think of wheat flour? Is that good?

Online scott123

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
By 'wheat flour' do you mean 'whole wheat' (or whole grain or whole meal) flour? It's extremely difficult to get good oven spring from whole wheat.  Some members here achieve it, but not without some serious time and effort.  I would say that, unless your doctor is forcing you to eat whole wheat for health reasons, avoid it.

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
I dont know. It is hard to tell actually. Here in the Netherlands most shops sells two types of flour.
Untranslated: 'Tarwe bloem' (wheat flour) and 'Pantent bloem' or 'Kristal bloem', which translates as just: flour.
 ???

Online scott123

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
From what I understand, tarwebloem might have more bran/fiber than patentbloem, but I can't confirm this. I think both will be lower in protein than where you want to be, and, if the tarwebloem does contain more bran, that's to be avoided.  Do they list fiber on the label in the Netherlands? If they do, that should help you rule out tarwebloem as a candidate.  More fiber = bad.

Here's some info on Dutch flour, the first link being the most informative:

http://forum.fok.nl/topic/1410112
http://www.flyswatter.com/nawc/baking.htm

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
i think you are right. Tarwebloem contains more fiber.
The most import thing to check is protein (eiwit) so that is what i am going to check. I will go in a hour or so
Thanks.

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 11:41:06 AM »
Do the pizza balls have to be covered (air tight) after they are formed?
Scott123 said something about forming the balls 5 hour before, but can they be laid out on a table covered with plastic foil?

Online scott123

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
Covered, yes, air tight, no. The dough balls will be slowly giving off gas so they can't be stored in completely air tight containers, but they need to be covered.  Plastic wrap can get a bit tricky because, as the dough ball grows, it can lift the plastic wrap up and expose part of the dough ball to the air, forming a skin.

Your best bet is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/GladWare-Bowl-Containers-Round-containers/dp/B0009P67ZS

The lids fit on such a way that they will normally release enough gas, but if you're worrying about popping, some people put tiny holes in the lids with pins.

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
how about aluminum foil for covering?
I dont think i am going to buy 24 containers for this one party.
I might buy a couple and check how many i have allready here i can use.

But i think the container should be large enough to let the dough ball grow yes?

Online scott123

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »
I would go with plastic wrap before aluminum foil

Chinese restaurants here in the U.S. sell their takeout soup in containers like these:

http://www.giantunion.com/image/product/2050334..jpg

They're dirt cheap and, while they're a little narrow for bigger dough balls, I think they'd work nicely for you.

I've seen some people put lightly oiled dough balls on a tray and then put plastic wrap over the entire tray, tucking it under the edges. Just make sure you allow enough space between the balls for expansion.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
You could also go to the UK version of Forno Bravo where you can buy Caputo flour. 5 bags for 10 pounds is quite "cheap". The problem is without a doubt the shipping, but then again, you'll get great flour.

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
i've found a dutch retailer where i can buy caputo flour, but i was told earlier that 00 flour is not useable without a wood fire oven.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
 i am really interested in your results .i have a g3 oven and mine does not do very well on the top bake. the floor get way to hot to cook even caputo dough while the top is white . the Italian forum http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/ has a big section on modifying those ovens. it seems that reflectors are needed to spread the top heat out. in my opinion caputo flour has to cook quick and hot to get it to taste the way it should. turning the heat down and adding oil and sugar is the only way the caputo can perform at lower temperatures.enclosed is an attempt using caputo with added sugar and oil. it had the taste and texture of new york not neapolitan , but it was better than straight caputo cooked for 4 minutes.

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
hi thezaman, i am glad to have found someone in the same position as me :)  :chef:
Hopefully we can exchange tips, the forum you linked to is not very clear to me.

I've had a very busy day today. My life is rather hectic at the moment, but i managed to bake some pizza's.\
My result are: it is rather random. But overall the result are good and well edible.

With a good warmup i can back a pizza with 00 flour within 2 minutes. It demands a lot of attention, but it is possible. The thing you say about the heat-spread is true. The upper element does not cover the whole pizza, making some parts more baked then others. But the pizza you see here is just a test for the warmup the pizza. Maybe i covered the pizza with too much oil, but i think... with toppings it could bake very well in 90 seconds.

Example is the photo here. It is made from the flour i mentoined earlier. The 00-one.
Only dough with olive oil. It is baked in 2 minutes precisely. Cold rize for 24 hours. Dough balls made 5 hours before baking at room temp, but that didn't really work. The dough deformed a lot and i had remodel the balls and after a litte while i made the pizza skin
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:36:13 PM by Pizzakoning »

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
this is sideview

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
bottom is a bit burnt same as the top, but remember, this was 2 min.
In 90 secondes with topping and less oil this pizza should be good.

Online scott123

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
Dennis, it looks like you've got a few kinks to work out, but that's pretty darn close to a Neapolitan pizza.  Was the extra puffiness not pleasing to you?

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
the dough from normal flour had to cook for 5 minutes. But that could well been due to me opening the lid and leaving the lid open after the first one with 00 flour.

Online scott123

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »
Dennis, which 'normal flour' did you end up going with?

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
Dennis, it looks like you've got a few kinks to work out, but that's pretty darn close to a Neapolitan pizza.  Was the extra puffiness not pleasing to you?

Hi Scott, yes i liked it! Only the air bubbles might be a bit too much. I want to know how to reduce them, do you have a tip perhaps?
But the taste is good... Especially since it is only dough with olive oil. I think after the pizza party i will have enough experience to know all ins-and outs of the g3 oven. Preheating it precisly will be the key. Shame the tempature is a impossible to read out. I've ordered an infrared laser thermometer which goes up to 550 degrees celsius.
But i am not sure that will help a lot since opening the lid of the g3 will drop the temprature instantly.

I know it is bit strange to say on this forum, but pizza is a pretty easy product to make. If you bake it not too short and not too long, it almost never can go wrong. I've googled so much now and there are so many pizza receipes that i found.... That alone proves my point. Sure, perfect pizza is another thing but the toppings can do a great deal too.
I am pretty confident that the pizza party will go smooth.

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
Dennis, which 'normal flour' did you end up going with?

The name is Rivercote. Impossible to find out the protein levels.
It is the bog standard flour from Lidl. 60 eurocent per kilo.

pizzapan