Author Topic: Hola from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico!  (Read 421 times)

Offline Tj Jack

Hola from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico!
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Hola everyone!

My name is Jack. I am a US citizen, born in San Diego, raised in So Cal and living in Baja!

I LOVE PIZZA!

I am an older guy (almost 50) and I have been an entrepreneur all my life. I have even tried my hand at the pizza business a couple times with mixed results. I Love Pizza and want to throw my hand into the Pizza Biz again!

I have leased/optioned a location in a community of Tijuana with NO Pizza places... I couldn't believe it when I stumbled upon the location. It is huge!

1. It is on a main street on a corner with lots of traffic.

2. A really large (public) sports park next door with 2 baseball diamonds, 2 futbol (soccer) fields, 2 rapid futbol arenas, a couple basketball courts, a gym, and 2 kids playgrounds.

3. There is an OXXO (7-11 style convenience store) Diagonal across the street.

4. There are 3 schools within 1 mile and a lot of the students and their parents pass the location on the way to and from school.

5. There are 2 HUGE Street/Farmer's Markets in Front of the location and on the side of the location twice a week. One on Thursday and one on Sunday. Each Street market has over a thousand stalls.

6. There are over 30,000 residences in the community.

7. And best of all there are no chain pizza or independent pizza locations within 5 miles!

My family (5 kids and 1 nephew) and I are going to start a takeout and dine-in pizza garden and then in the same 3,000 square foot location grow into a full Fine Italian Dining Restaurant.

I stumbled on pizzamaking.com while researching ovens and mixers and recipes online and knew I had to join immediately! So here I am!

I hope to be a regular contributing member, Thanks for having me!

Tj Jack

buceriasdon

Re: Hola from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
Welcome Jack. What sort of pizza were you thinking about making?
Don

Offline Tj Jack

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:33:16 AM »
We are going to start with an American style pizza for take out and dine-in in our indoor/outdoor garding dining area....

After we get up and running and start converting the rest of the location into a formal dining restaurant we are going to add a foccacia, a neopolitan/cracker and sicillian style pizza options as well as spaghetti, lasagna, ravioli, risotto, manicotti, various parmigana dishes, minestrone, tiramisu, esspreso, cappuchino, lattes and other italian menu favorites.

Offline Tj Jack

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Okay so we were unable to make a go of it at our first location so we moved to a neighborhood location and we are open on Fridays in the street market. So far it is gaining popularity and we have repeat customers ordering pizzas in advance. And we now have over a hundred likes on our FaceBook page http://facebook.com/pizzaflorentina

I have been teaching my girlfriend and kids how to make pizzas and here is my girlfriend's latest creation. A stuffed crust vegetarian pizza

It was delicious!

Offline reenipooh

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
Hi Jack!
The pizza looks good! How's biz in TJ? Just courious! ...do you buy your ingreadient from TJ Mexico or US? How are the laws there for food biz?...
never thought of Mexico for pizza...mmm :chef: ireenipooh

Offline Tj Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
We buy our ingredients here in Tijuana. We don't have enough volume to make it worth our while to import.... yet!

So far it is just one day a week and it is going okay and seems to be growing on a week to week basis.

The laws are reasonable and easy to comply with. The government offices we have dealt with have all been very helpful and considerate.