Author Topic: What size mixers is everyone using for their pizza store?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Warren Montney

What size mixers is everyone using for their pizza store?
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
I plan to open a pizza store late next year. I have been watching e-bay and craigslist for equipment, to get an idea of used prices . I am not going to buy anything just yet as paying 100 a month for storage  for 12-15 months doesn't make sense. I do how ever have a small amount of storage in the garage so If I find that can't miss deal on a mixer or something else small I can grab it sooner than later.
   I am curious who is using 20-30-& 40 quart mixers and how many large dough balls you get from a batch.I think being able to make 30-40 dough balls is probably going to be an ideal batch. 30 being large dough balls 40 being medium. So at say 19 OZ dough for a 16" pizza   I probably need to be able to put 25 pounds of flour in a batch. Any thoughts? has anyone found that making smaller batches works better in terms of fitting your dough making into slow times during the day? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline Qapla

Re: What size mixers is everyone using for their pizza store?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
... has anyone found that making smaller batches works better in terms of fitting your dough making into slow times during the day? ...
You don't "fit dough making into slow times" you schedule time to make dough. If you want your dough to be consistent and you plan on having regular hours (opening and closing at the same time each day) you need to plan the time you will make your dough so you know it is ready when you need it.

It is true that every day may not have the same dough demands, but you should be able to determine the trends you will have from one day to the next so you can have the right amount of dough for normal business.

If you try to just "fit dough making into slow time" you may find that you do not have slow time on a consistent basis and you will have dough that is too old or too young or you may not have any dough at all if you did not have enough "slow" time. If you schedule dough making into a daily routine you will have great dough every day (providing you make great dough  ;) ) in sufficient quantities for each days business.

JMHOOC

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
You don't "fit dough making into slow times" you schedule time to make dough. If you want your dough to be consistent and you plan on having regular hours (opening and closing at the same time each day) you need to plan the time you will make your dough so you know it is ready when you need it.

It is true that every day may not have the same dough demands, but you should be able to determine the trends you will have from one day to the next so you can have the right amount of dough for normal business.

If you try to just "fit dough making into slow time" you may find that you do not have slow time on a consistent basis and you will have dough that is too old or too young or you may not have any dough at all if you did not have enough "slow" time. If you schedule dough making into a daily routine you will have great dough every day (providing you make great dough  ;) ) in sufficient quantities for each days business.

JMHOOC

Isn't that a Klingon ship in your Avatar? Used to be a fan when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'd go with a 60qt mixer if the price is right.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
Warren,
Curious if you Have you done a business plan yet ? 30 Pies a day? Just you and or 1 helper I assume?   Not sure on the hobart style of mixer but not to sure   25 lbs of flour will fit in a 20 qt mixer ?? Just keep doing research even if you think its a good buy. Most  manufacturers websites provide capacitiesfor dry flour and max batch. you said 19 oz for a 16" pizza is that what you are shooting for ?  Good luck with your Pizza store.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
Isn't that a Klingon ship in your Avatar? Used to be a fan when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'd go with a 60qt mixer if the price is right.

And a Kingon handle too, Qapla' (Success)  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:54:11 PM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Warren Montney

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
As to making dough during slow times. That is just how a place I used to work at did it. They had a 40 quart mixer. Realistically  I guess it makes sense to make it before opening and make a small batch to start the next day with just before closing. Consistency is important enough to plan on that.

Offline ercrvs24

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
We have a 100 qt and 2, 60 qt. I recommend Hobart.  Easiest replacement parts IMO