Author Topic: Classico Tomato Sauce  (Read 22357 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Classico Tomato Sauce
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Funny, every can of peeled ground i opened was thicker then the two cans of crushed ive used so far.

I was thinking instead of using water to thin it out, what about putting vegetables in a blender and squeezing out the juice like onions,celery,carrots, or green peppers.

Fe,

That sounds really good!

Thanks for telling me of your experience with peeled ground tomatoes.I have only used one can.It did pool some water on one of the pies I made with it.Im trying to think back,but I believe it was not as bad as the crushed.I had alot of water pooling in the middle with the crushed not drained.That was yucky.

I will drain and weigh the water for the peeled ground,to compare to the crushed,before I use it.That said,I really enjoy using the classico.If they add a bit more water than other products,that is OK,it can easily be simmered for a pasta sauce as well.I know its not intended to be for pizza alone,so draining a can of some water is no big deal to do to make a pizza sauce.
 :)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:21:50 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »
Fe,

That sounds really good!

Thanks for telling me of your experience with peeled ground tomatoes.I have only used one can.It did pool some water on one of the pies I made with it.Im trying to think back,but I believe it was not as bad as the crushed.I had alot of water pooling in the middle with the crushed not drained.That was yucky.

I will drain and weigh the water for the peeled ground,to compare to the crushed,before I use it.That said,I really enjoy using the classico.If they add a bit more water than other products,that is OK,it can easily be simmered for a pasta sauce as well.I know its not intended to be for pizza alone,so draining a can of some water is no big deal to do to make a pizza sauce.

Yeah even if you have to drain out 8oz out of 28oz that still leaves 20oz of really good tomato. And when you think of it, $1.78 for 20oz vs any jar of pizza sauce, you cant beat the price.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
A few months ago I noticed that the local Walmart started carrying the Classico line so I decided to try.  I tried the Classico crushed tomatoes.  Really liked it.  I then tried the one that said ground tomatoes.  The crushed can had on the ingredients that they are unpeeled and the ground said pealed.  Of the two I preferred the crushed unpeeled.  I have to do a side by side to determine why exactly but I think the taste was better from the crushed.  Why do I say "think"? Because I made these batches weeks apart and did not do an a/b comparison but from memory I think I like the Classico crushed better than the ground unpeeled.

Funny enough, unlike Bill (chickenparm), I did not have a pooling issue or too watery.  Bill, I am glad you are able to get it at your Walmart so we could compare notes.  I told you about these Classico cans about couple of weeks before your Walmart carried them.  Glad you were able to get them soon after because I always love hearing about your experiments and results.  So far you have not blown up the lab (kitchen)!  :-D. This might seem strange because I blended it up in the blender along with the ingredients for the Luigi pizza sauce that Peter gave us the percentage for the 28 oz can size, then I thought that I wanted it a bit thinner so I added 10 tablespoons of water. I did so, one spoon after another until I liked it.   I tried this with the ground tomatoes unpeeled but added 12 spoons of water.  Funny enough I don't think that after mixing it in the blender and adding water to it it was too wet or watery or caused a pool in the pizza.

The funny thing is once I mixed it up in the blender it seemed to thicken up the crushed tomatoes a bit.  Not sure why but it did.  Try that Bill and see if that prevents the pooling so you don't need to drain out water.

Please see my thread on Pomi tomatoes.  If any of you know about this stuff please contribute to the discussion. So far one taker.  Thanks -

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16797.0.html
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:34:56 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »
Hi James,

Thanks for sharing your story and experience.I am enjoying being able to buy these cans locally,since no one else for 30+ miles carry anything as good.Yeah,everyone sells Hunts,Del Monte,Red Gold and others,but those brands are gross compared to these.

When I can eat the sauce straight from the can,I know its gonna be good.
 8)

Its possible that maybe some of the cans going across the country might have a bit more water than others.Maybe they were made at different times.So far they have been a bit too watery for me to use,but Im glad to hear its not always the case.

Will keep you all posted with my findings over time as well.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Hey Folks,

I decided to go ahead and do an experiment.I opened the 28 ounce Classico Peeled Ground tomatoes.

Straight from the can,it is alot like 6 in 1's,and when I strained the water,I got maybe 2 ounces after it sat for half an hour,and the water was a thick red color.Looked more like puree escaped the strainer that any water.

I do not recommend draining these tomatoes.After just 2 ounces loss of puree/water,it became a bit too thick or pasty when mixing the remaining back together.Heck,this might need a little water added for some applications.James,If this is what you used,then YES,I agree,it may need some water if its too thick out of the can.

See,when I drained the Classico crushed tomatoes,I got a lot of water out of it,and most of it was clear and barely any red was coming out with it.This is the can I had trouble with water pooling without straining.The Peeled ground tomatoes are indeed much thicker.
 8)
Also,You can hear it too,before you open a can.Shake the cans and the crushed sounds alot more watery inside than the peeled ground tomatoes do.

Just wanted to pass this along.

-Bill

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
28 ounce Classico Peeled Ground Tomatoes effin' rock!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
I was in Walmart today and picked up a can of the Classico crushed tomatoes (the first time they've been available). I will compare them to a can of 6 in 1's on my next pizza night. Fingers crossed they will be as good, I can only get 6 in 1's through mail order. As a little extra for all you tomato testers, I have also found that Scalfani, Pastosa, and Pastene are all excellent crushed tomatoes. You won't be disappointed with any of these.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
I was in Walmart today and picked up a can of the Classico crushed tomatoes (the first time they've been available). I will compare them to a can of 6 in 1's on my next pizza night. Fingers crossed they will be as good, I can only get 6 in 1's through mail order. As a little extra for all you tomato testers, I have also found that Scalfani, Pastosa, and Pastene are all excellent crushed tomatoes. You won't be disappointed with any of these.

Good to know! Let us know if you have any trouble with a bit of water or Not with the crushed version.

Btw,the Classico peeled ground tomatoes are closer to 6 in 1's than the crushed is,at least,that was my observations of it.
The Scalfani, Pastosa, and Pastene cans,I cannot find them in any stores around here.Hope to try them someday though.
 8)

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »
@chickenparm

Many brands seem to be very regional. Pastene's are based in MA, Scalfani's come out of NJ, and Pastosa is from Brooklyn, NY. Don't know where you are located, so finding them may be a problem.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »
I now have both the Classico crushed tomatoes and the ground peeled tomatoes. Next time I make pizza I will open both along side a can of 6-in- 1's for comparison. I will repost back, hopefully with a picture as soon as I am able.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
Our local Walmart now has the Classico crushed tomatoes.  For a can of Classico crushed tomatoes it was 1.58.  For the can of 6 in 1 at Bova Foods it was 2.25.  I am anxious to try the Classico crushed tomatoes.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 06:50:11 PM »
My Walmart doesn't carry these.

I'm curious, does anyone know of any major NE supermarket chain that carries peeled ground tomatoes in reasonable (28 oz. or smaller) sizes? I've scoured most of my local supermarkets, but not all, and, although I'm pretty sure I can get ground peeled from my pizzeria distributor (where I get my flour), the can is huge.

Offline finfan

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
Norma
 My local Walmart carries both the Classico crushed tomatoes and the peeled ground tomatoes. I have tried both and found the peeled ground tomatoes to be a bit thicker and (in my opinion) a bit tastier. Same price as you $1.58 per can. I can't find anything negative about them. Great flavor, Great price, easily acquired.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Norma
 My local Walmart carries both the Classico crushed tomatoes and the peeled ground tomatoes. I have tried both and found the peeled ground tomatoes to be a bit thicker and (in my opinion) a bit tastier. Same price as you $1.58 per can. I can't find anything negative about them. Great flavor, Great price, easily acquired.

finfan,

Thanks for telling posting that your local Walmart carries both the Classico crushed tomatoes and the peeled ground tomatoes.  I didnít go to Walmart today, but my one daughter did.  I just told her if they now stock the Classico crushed tomatoes to pick me up two cans to try.  The Walmart she went to is a Super Walmart store.  When I find time, I sure will see if they also stock the Classico peeled ground tomatoes.  Thanks for posting that the Classico peeled ground tomatoes are a bit thicker and a bit tastier.  :)

Norma

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »
finfan,

Thanks for telling posting that your local Walmart carries both the Classico crushed tomatoes and the peeled ground tomatoes.  I didnít go to Walmart today, but my one daughter did.  I just told her if they now stock the Classico crushed tomatoes to pick me up two cans to try.  The Walmart she went to is a Super Walmart store.  When I find time, I sure will see if they also stock the Classico peeled ground tomatoes.  Thanks for posting that the Classico peeled ground tomatoes are a bit thicker and a bit tastier.  :)

Norma

Norma,

If you see my post of #24 again,I noted the peeled ground tomatoes are much thicker.I like these alot better than the crushed version,mainly because of the crushed having a bit more water.Let us know what you experiments show.

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 08:51:55 AM »
Norma,

If you see my post of #24 again,I noted the peeled ground tomatoes are much thicker.I like these alot better than the crushed version,mainly because of the crushed having a bit more water.Let us know what you experiments show.

Bill,

Thanks for reminding my about your post where you noted that the peeled ground tomatoes are thicker. Sorry, I forgot about your post.  :-[ I think if Steve and I have time Tuesday we are going to do a taste comparison, with other taste testers too.  Steve gave me the other ingredients he adds to his 6 in 1 and how he uses Novemberís extraction method with the spices and water in the microwave.  I donít have all the dried spices he adds, but if I find time will buy them for the test.  I know Steveís sauce with 6 in 1 is very good, because I have tasted it plain and on his pizzas many times.  I just have to figure out what amount of spices to add, because Steveís uses big cans of 6 in 1 when he mixes his pizza sauce, and I am only using the small cans of Classico and 6 in 1.  Since I am not good with figuring out that stuff, hopefully I will get everything right.  ::)

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
Norma, I am anxious to hear about your results of using the Classico products.  Thanks in advance for the results you are going to post of your experiments.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Today I discovered Classico whole pear tomatoes w/basil, Classico heavy puree, and Classico tomato sauce. Also, 14 oz. glass jars of Classico "traditional pizza sauce", all at a local Walmart.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
DM,I tried a can of the whole pear tomatoes w/basil and it was very good.I added those into a sauce I was making to give it more tomato bites.I have not seen a few others that have been listed.I hope my store sells them,maybe they were sold out the day I got the other stuff.

-Bill

pizzapan