Author Topic: Classico Tomato Sauce  (Read 20859 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Classico Tomato Sauce
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
My belated Christmas gift to pizzamakers   http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2011/10/13/save-0-55-on-classico-canned-tomatoes-plus-walmart-scenario/

Thanks so much for the coupon.  Much appreciated!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
I bought a can of every type Classico they had last night.  I will try them tomorrow.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »
@chickenparm, it seems as though my local Walmart store is adding product from this line in an ongoing process. At first they just had the crushed and ground tomatoes, and today I saw the whole pear and the puree. FYI, the jars of pizza sauce were not with the other tomato products, but rather in a seperate area where they sell pre-packaged pizza shells, other pizza sauces and the famous Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee pizza kits.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
My belated Christmas gift to pizzamakers   http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2011/10/13/save-0-55-on-classico-canned-tomatoes-plus-walmart-scenario/

dmcavanagh,

Thanks so much for the belated Christmas gift!  :)  I printed some coupons out.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »
I went to wally world and picked up a few cans of more classico products.They had the puree available so I was glad to try another product soon.I wasnt able to print out the coupons because the printer has been dead for a while now.
 :-D

But at 1.78 a can,it was still cheap enough.I hope the puree makes a great pizza sauce base.
 8)

-Bill

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 02:45:51 AM »
I used the crushed tomato tonight straight from the can with Italian spice sprinkled on prior to cheese.  Excellent taste, color, and texture.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
I used the crushed tomato tonight straight from the can with Italian spice sprinkled on prior to cheese.  Excellent taste, color, and texture.

I am with you that they taste great right out of the can.  I added spices to mine, the recipe from the Luigi discussion and honestly it was good with the added spices but I think it was every bit as good without the adding of spices.  I am going to make some pizza next time with the tomatoes right out of can and see how it turns out and also make some with some Italian spice as you added to yours prior to the cheese. 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
Was running errands today and stumbled upon a Walmart.  It's not the one I normally go to.  So I check out the tomato products and they had the Classico Ground Tomato but not the Classico Crushed Tomato.  The Walmart I normally go to has the Ground and Crushed. No worries, I am not making pizza anytime soon but just had to look while I was there.  They had the Classico Pizza Sauce.  Bought a bottle just out of curiosity.  Has a long shelf life and won't make any pizza for a couple of weeks so it will last way beyond that.   I do love the DiNapoli that Tinroof mentioned.  I have to do a side by side comparison of the Classico Crushed, Classico Ground, and the DiNapoli to see which is the best for me. 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
I went to Costco Business Center and they carry 6 in 1, they carry 7/11, they carry Full Red Pizza Sauce already prepared, they sell the Full Red Tomatoes.  They sell so many good choices.

So I have been reading this discussion and am I right in understanding that the Classico Crushed and/or Ground are so good that there is no need for the 6 in 1, 7/11, Full Red products?  I just have not tried any of the products, only Classico so I am not sure.  I rather have a 28 oz can to deal with than a giant can like the others.   But taste is important too so that's why I need to know.  What I am getting at what do you guys think?  There has been some discussion but what is the definitive answer?

Thanks,

James

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
James

I have Classico in puree, crushed, and peeled ground. I will be making pizza this weekend and will open all three along with a can of 6 in 1's. I'm gonna taste test straight from the can, then use them on pizza. I'll report back at this thread early next week. If they win this taste test, then I'll put them up against some stiffer competition! >:D

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
James

I have Classico in puree, crushed, and peeled ground. I will be making pizza this weekend and will open all three along with a can of 6 in 1's. I'm gonna taste test straight from the can, then use them on pizza. I'll report back at this thread early next week. If they win this taste test, then I'll put them up against some stiffer competition! >:D

Thanks for the upcoming taste test and results. I look forward to this.  By the way, I opened the bottle of Classico Pizza Sauce I got from WM recently and it taste good out of the jar.  I know we are all Do It Yourselfers here so we mainly make our own sauce but I had to try it and it's really good.  Not making a pizza soon so I don't know how it will taste.  I should make one soon tho because even refrigerated it will go bad soon enough.  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:48:02 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
PizzaEater101

I also have a jar of the Classico pizza sauce. Thanks for the update. It's always good to have an "emergency" jar of good sauce around, "just in case". Maybe I'll include that in my taste test this weekend.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
I bought the Jar of classico pizza sauce and tossed it out.Just not my liking for pizza.I dont even like their pasta sauces either.Heck,I dont like much jar sauces anymore these days.The more I make sauces at home,the more disgusting the jars seem to become.

I do love their crushed,ground,and whole pear tomatoes though.

8)

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »
chickenparm

Can you give us anything to compare the Classico's to. What other tomatoes have you used and how do Classico's compare to your "go to" brand. Inguierring minds , and pizza eaters want to know!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
chickenparm

Can you give us anything to compare the Classico's to. What other tomatoes have you used and how do Classico's compare to your "go to" brand. Inguierring minds , and pizza eaters want to know!

Are you asking more about premade jar sauces or just the canned products?
-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
Your go to canned tomatoes.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
While 6 in 1's are preferred,they are not available locally to me like the other store cans are.

Classico canned tomatoes are so far the best ones I can find locally.I have tried many different store brands,like Hunts,DelMonte,Red Gold,Contadina,Furmano's,and they all do not measure up like Classico does straight out of the can.I even tried the generic store name brands,and they were not good either.

Keep in mind there are alot of brands I have never tried nor heard of.I'm focusing mainly about what I can find in a local food store.Where I live,its basically not much to choose from.

I enjoy Cento products,but some of the cans cannot be purchased locally.I have to drive a 60 mile round trip to purchase them or 6 in 1's.I have also tried Primo Guisto and Bonta sauce in the large cans,but not overly impressed with them.Those too,are not available locally.

My basic pick would be something like this order.

6 in 1's,Classico ground/or crushed tomatoes,Cento(depends what I buy),Walmarts GV Crushed tomatoes.

These all make a very good tasting sauce base for me and taste good out of the can.Our walmart is bringing in new cans of Centos and I want to do another comparison test soon.

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »
Thanks @chickenparm for the rundown. I'm always on the lookout for new tomatoes to try. I know how you feel having limited options, until recently is was that way for me also. Seems as though recently there has been a vast increase in the number of brands available. Most of the common grocery store brands boarder on being crap. Be glad you have access to 6 in 1's and Cento products, both are very acceptable. Glad to hear you like the Classico's, being in Walmart is sure to make them popular. If you have an Italian import store near you, be sure to check and see what they have available. However, don't be fooled into the belief that Italian tomatoes are superior, they are not. Ask a clerk for some endorsements of some domestic tomatoes they may carry.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
I bought the Jar of classico pizza sauce and tossed it out.Just not my liking for pizza.I dont even like their pasta sauces either.Heck,I dont like much jar sauces anymore these days.The more I make sauces at home,the more disgusting the jars seem to become.

8)

I tried some more of the Classico Pizza sauce in a jar and well, I thought it was just okay.  Initially I thought that it was pretty good but the more I tried it the more I thought it was a bit strong and overpowering. 

Now comparing it to other jarred pizza sauces I tried and thought it was better.  It's not as good as some canned sauce I got that was from Italy but I can't recall the name of that brand and it's not nearly as good as Sbarro sauce.  I know some here, not you Bill, but I know some people would cringe at the thought of Sbarro sauce but actually it's my favorite non-home made sauce.  Just it's not easy to obtain.   I know you like it too Bill. 

So I will make a pizza with this stuff and compare and see how it taste.   I will probably just stick to DiNapoli or Classico crushed tomatoes rather than buy the Classico jarred pizza sauce again.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »
DM,
No Italian markets or delis around here.I miss living in NY at times,they were all over the place.Then again,I would not have tried to learn to make pizza had I still lived in NY.Moving away,led me to here and all of you good folks to learn from.

James,
I wish I could buy a can of sbarros sauce but not going to happen here.I do love their marinara sauce they pour into a small dipping cup if you ask for it.(Not the sealed up packages)

I'm still learning to make sauce.I wish I knew how to make the best,but no one to teach me.Trial and error is slow going.That said,I must be doing something good at times,because even my wife wont touch the jar sauces anymore for pasta,chickenparm,ravioli or etc,she wants me to simmer some up fresh instead.
 :)

-Bill