Author Topic: Classico Tomato Sauce  (Read 21586 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Classico Tomato Sauce
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
chickenparm

Pizza sauce and sauce for pasta are really two different animals. Pasta sauce (or gravy as some like to call it) is slow cooked for hours to develop rich, concentrated flavors. Pizza sauces are best when just lightly cooked, you want to keep the tomatoes tasting a bit more fresh and natural. Kenji at the SLICE section at seriouseats.com has his version of a sauce for NY style pies. I've made it and it's good, my only quam is that I'm not a big fan of onion in any red sauce.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
Bill, at Costco Business they have Stanislaus Full Red Marinara sauce.  I started a discussion in the other folder about it but no opinions posted yet.  I am curious how their Marinara is?  Here is a link to their sauce but not picture.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11710359&whse=BD_563&Ne=4000000&eCat=BD_563|11121|11947|88306&N=4047610&Mo=14&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_563&cat=88306&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=11121*11947*88306*&topnav=bd

I agree the Sbarro Marinara is great.  I wish I could make some from scratch sort of like the Sbarro marinara. 

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
chickenparm

Pizza sauce and sauce for pasta are really two different animals. Pasta sauce (or gravy as some like to call it) is slow cooked for hours to develop rich, concentrated flavors. Pizza sauces are best when just lightly cooked, you want to keep the tomatoes tasting a bit more fresh and natural. Kenji at the SLICE section at seriouseats.com has his version of a sauce for NY style pies. I've made it and it's good, my only quam is that I'm not a big fan of onion in any red sauce.

Thanks DM, Yes,I am aware of the differences.I have been simmering my pasta sauces for 3+ hours and love it.

Funny,I too,am not a fan of onions in the sauce.I never use it for pizza.When making pasta sauces,I might add a very little onion powder,but thats all.

There is a pizza shop I used to visit,good pizza but too many onions in the sauce.Only place If I eat their pizza,Im burping non stop all day from lunch time.I stopped going there because of that.
:-D

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
James,

Thanks for posting that link.We do not have a Costco nearby so it would have to be mail order.

I will mail order some of those products eventually.I want to try the other cans from Stanislaus and Escalon sometime.
 :)

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Made some pizza with the Classico Pizza Sauce.   Thought it was pretty good stuff.  I would rather just use the Crushed Tomatoes rather than the pre-made sauce but for those who don't make their own sauce this stuff worked out pretty good. 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
PizzaEater101

I have a can of 6 in 1's and a can of Classico peeled ground tomatoes sitting on the counter right. Tonight when I make pizza I'll open both and I'll have at least 3 people compare the two. I'll report back here tomorrow with at least a written report, will post picture if possible. These two products should be essentially the same consistency, we'll see about taste. In the future I will compare Classico crushed tomatoes with not only the best of the above, but also against some other top notch crushed tomatoes.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »
PizzaEater101

I have a can of 6 in 1's and a can of Classico peeled ground tomatoes sitting on the counter right. Tonight when I make pizza I'll open both and I'll have at least 3 people compare the two. I'll report back here tomorrow with at least a written report, will post picture if possible. These two products should be essentially the same consistency, we'll see about taste. In the future I will compare Classico crushed tomatoes with not only the best of the above, but also against some other top notch crushed tomatoes.

dmcavanagh, I am anxiously awaiting your report on the two products.  I am so tempted to buy 6 in 1s because they are easily purchased locally but the can is giant and I don't need that much so if the Classico holds up to 6 in 1s I will stick to 6 in 1s since the can is much smaller volume.

Thanks

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
PizzaEater101

I hear you on the big cans, I have some primo stuff in big cans and I hate to open them. I know some will disagree, but tomatoes are never the same once you freeze them IMO. They seem to seperate and as always a bit watery after freezing. Disagree if you wish, but that's my experience.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
OK, here goes. I don't have pictures yet, but tonight I opened a can of 6-in 1 all purpose ground tomatoes along side of the new Classico peeled ground tomatoes. Just for FULL DISCLOSURE, my 6 in 1's had a "best by" date of 09-10-11, while the Classico's were 08-07-13. So, the 6 in 1's were slightly beyond their "best by" date. A careful examination of the cans info reveals that the 6 in 1's are unpeeled tomatoes while the Classico's are peeled tomatoes. Other than that fact, the ingredients read as identical.On opening the cans, the tomatoes appear identical in consistency, well ground with just a slight amount of seperation of tomatoes and liquid. No citric acid or preservatives are added to either. The color of the 6 in 1's were just ever so slightly darker, barely noticeable, probably due to the age factor I mentioned above. My son and I both took small samples  from both. The samples were taken from the center of the cans after they had each been well stirred. We both agreed that the Classico were slightly preferred, we both detected a slightly sweeter taste. The difference was slight, but noticeable. Again, the age factor of the 6 in 1's might have played a part. The tomatoes were very good, surely worth topping any pie. Once upon a time I was sold on 6 in 1's being the best ground/crushed style tomato on the market, but over time I have found better tomatoes. SO, Classico's are a very good tomato, every bit as good as 6 in 1's and now much cheaper and more accessable as you can find them in most Walmarts. I combined the two open 28oz. cans and added garlic, oregano, fresh ground black pepper and a little salt and spread the uncooked tomatoes on two NY style cheese pizzas. The pies were very good, the tomatoes were tangy and bright tasting. All that said, I have a few other brands that I prefer over these. These will not disappoint, they may well be much better then whatever you are presently using. The are much better then any other brands that Walmart sells.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
dmcavanagh, thank you very much for your review and comparisons.   You are very helpful in this topic.  The only 6 in 1 that I can get is a giant can, so seeing that you find the Classico even better then I feel good having only to buy the Classico that is 28 oz not a monster can.  I agree with your other post about freezing tomatoes.  Something happens to them and I prefer not to freeze, therefore I am good with the Classico since it's a small can, only 28 oz and I can use it all without having to try to freeze it to save it like I would a giant can of 6 in 1.

You mention that the 6 in 1 are unpeeled and the Classico Ground are peeled.  If you get the Classico Crushed tomatoes they are unpeeled unlike their ground which as you noted are peeled.  

I forgot if you ever mentioned here or any other thread if you tried DiNapoli, if that is available in your area.  Tinroofrusted, a member here turned me onto DiNapoli. They are really good too.  Not sure which I prefer, one day I need to compare Classico Crused to DiNapoli Crushed.  

Of the two, Classico Ground or Classico Crushed I did prefer the Crushed but I didn't do a side by side, I went from memory.  I need to do a side by side a/b comparison to be sure tho.  

I felt that the Classico Crushed and the DiNapoli are so good I would have made a great pie, maybe even better if I didn't add any spices and just used out of the can.

You added spices to your tomato mix but curious if you think that if you had just put the tomatoes out of the can on a pie would it have been really good or do you feel you needed the spices added to it?

Ever try 7/11 or Full Red tomatoes for pizza, too?

Thanks again for your review and comparison of the two.  

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
PizzaEater101

I did add spice to mine, I like garlic and oregano on my NY style pies, but we tasted the tomatoes BEFORE the spices were added. I am not able to get DiNapoli where I live, have never seen them in the market place. I've tried 7/11, but it was years ago. I must not have been overly impressed because I never bought them again. I can get Full Red, but never have. I will try the Classico crushed tomatoes on my next pizza night. I may even compare them to my present "go to" crushed tomatoes, Sclafani crushed tomatoes. I'll give an update.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
I am making spaghetti today and used the Classico peeled tomatoes with basil.  Side by side with a can of HEB tomato sauce, they tasted great.  Not salty, no citrus hint, and no tinny flavor at all.  Thumbs up.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
I purchased the three cans of Classico tomato products and am going to have taste testers test them all tomorrow against 6-in-1s.  I am first going to have the test testers taste the Classico tomato products and the 6-in-1s right out of the can before I add any spices or herbs.  I am not sure if I will add any spices or herbs to the products, but might add the same amount of spices and herbs, before the sauces are baked on pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
Norma

I'm anxious to get your feedback. I also plan on making sauce at the end of the week and will do the same test as you. When I used the tomatoes on pizza this past Saturday, I simply added garlic, oregano, pepper and salt to the tomatoes and spooned it on the dough. It was very tasty on my NY style pies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
Norma

I'm anxious to get your feedback. I also plan on making sauce at the end of the week and will do the same test as you. When I used the tomatoes on pizza this past Saturday, I simply added garlic, oregano, pepper and salt to the tomatoes and spooned it on the dough. It was very tasty on my NY style pies.

Dave,

Glad to hear your are going to do the same test as I am.  ;D What kind of garlic did you use in your sauce?  I will weigh out any extra ingredients I add.  Your ingredients added sound great!  Do you know how much extra ingredients you added for a 28 oz. can?

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2012, 05:39:53 AM »
Norma

Although I'm not a fanatic on exactness, I generally will add app. 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic and salt and pepper in very modest amount to a 28oz. can of tomatoes. In a pinch I won't hesitate to use the dried minced garlic, Penzey's is just about as good as fresh garlic.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 06:47:23 AM »
Norma

Although I'm not a fanatic on exactness, I generally will add app. 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic and salt and pepper in very modest amount to a 28oz. can of tomatoes. In a pinch I won't hesitate to use the dried minced garlic, Penzey's is just about as good as fresh garlic.

Dave,

Thanks for telling me what you add to your 28 oz. can of tomatoes.  I know if will have leftover sauces today, so I just might add my microwaved garlic and spice blend to my Classico tomato products.  The microwaved garlic and spice blend I know can be frozen when put into a tomato sauce.  That way if I want to do more testing on the Classico tomato products I can do more tests.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »
Norma

I also have a can of Classico tomato puree. I'll include that in my test. I'll be anxious to see the difference in texture between the ground, crushed  and tomato puree. Also, I've never been crazy about whole tomatoes, so that will be interesting also. I love Sclafani crushed tomatoes, however their whole tomatoes are just meh! I have a theory about why, but we'll save that for a later date.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »
These are the Sclafani's I'm speaking of  http://www.sclafani.com/sclafani-crushed-tomatoes.asp

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »
DM,
Thanks for the write up and info.I do agree,the classicos are a bit sweeter than 6 in 1's.That said,I was not sure because of the size of the cans.But good to hear Im not the only one that thought the same thing.

I also opened a can of puree and it was good,but very thick.No way to use it out of the can on a pizza.At least,not for me.

I was not sure what to do with it to make a sauce,so I just mixed it with another can of crushed tomatoes and spiced it up.It made a good sauce but I need to try it by itself.

Maybe next time I will add a little water to the puree alone to thin it down,spice it up and see how it makes a sauce on its own.

-Bill

pizzapan