Author Topic: Classico Tomato Sauce  (Read 18717 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Classico Tomato Sauce
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »
chickenparm

Seems that everyone agrees about the slight difference between the Classico's and 6-in 1's, I attribute it to the fact that the Classico's are without peels while the 6 in 1's have peels (which tend to add a bit of bitterness). Really can't go wrong with either.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »
chickenparm

Seems that everyone agrees about the slight difference between the Classico's and 6-in 1's, I attribute it to the fact that the Classico's are without peels while the 6 in 1's have peels (which tend to add a bit of bitterness). Really can't go wrong with either.

DM, if I am not mistaken, the Classico Ground are peeled, that's right but the Classico Crushed are unpeeled, but I might be wrong. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
Norma

I also have a can of Classico tomato puree. I'll include that in my test. I'll be anxious to see the difference in texture between the ground, crushed  and tomato puree. Also, I've never been crazy about whole tomatoes, so that will be interesting also. I love Sclafani crushed tomatoes, however their whole tomatoes are just meh! I have a theory about why, but we'll save that for a later date.

Dave,

I didnít get a chance to do the tests on the 3 Classico products today.  I became busy, so I will anxiously await your tests.  I will try to do the tests next week.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:01 AM »
Norma
I'm making sauce either Thursday of Friday, I'll be checking out ALL the Classico's

PizzaEater101
Yes, I should have specified the ground tomatoes from Classico are peeled, whereas the similar ground 6 in 1's are unpeeled.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »
Today I opened a can of the Classico peeled ground tomatoes along side a can of the crushed tomatoes . To say there is any difference is really splitting hairs, they look and taste just about identical to me. If pressed to differentiate, I'd say the crushed were slightly "milder", but these are so similar I won't hesitate to interchange them for any purpose. I combined the two to make a light pasta sauce for tonights dinner of veal parm and penne pasta. :)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »
In my ongoing tests of canned tomatoes, tonight I will be comparing Classico crushed tomatoes to one of my favorites and my "go to" brand for pizza making, Sclafani crushed tomatoes. To the best of my knowledge, Sclafani packs using Jersey grown tomatoes, as opposed to the California tomatoes from most of the big pizza industry providers. I will report back early next week.  :-\

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »
Classico v Sclafani
I compared both brands canned crushed tomatoes last night, both are excellent tomatoes. This really comes down to splitting hairs, but to try to differentiate I'd say the Classico's were slightly sweeter tasting, while the Sclafani were a little bolder, more pronounced flavor. The Sclafani were just a tad thicker in consistency, just slightly chunkier with a little less liquid. Either one is sure to please, I wouldn't hesitate using either as a pizza sauce right out of the can, or as the base for a cooked sauce.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »
Tom,

Thanks so much for your recents reviews of the different tomato sauces!  :)

Norma

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
I used the Classico tomato sauce last night.  I added some herbs, but not nearly as much salt and sugar as is usually needed to bring it into balance.  I hate Wally-world, but will hold my nose to get the Classico.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
What I have been buying is NOT sauce, it's canned (28oz) tomatoes. They have crushed, ground , whole and puree, and what I've been talking about have been the crushed and peeled ground tomatoes. Classico sauce in the glass jars is a whole different product, not what I've been tasting and referrring to in this thread. I hope nobody has gotten confused on that, but I'm starting to think some have.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
Yep, I bought one of each and have used all but the whole peeled.

Offline pizzburghr

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »

The Classico Peeled Ground Tomatoes have 1g. more sugar than 6n1 Ground Tomatoes.
                                                                                                                    Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
I havenít gotten around to doing the taste testing on the Classico products at market, but decided to open a can of Classico Heavy Duty Tomato Puree to try and use with a simple dinner tonight of Goulash, with just macaroni and Hamburg.  The taste of the Classic Heavy Duty Tomato Puree had a nice fresh tomato flavor right out of the can and was fairly thick.  It also was a little sweet tasting, for my palette. 

I simmered the Classico Heavy Duty Tomato Puree with some sautť onions and garlic, and added some other herbs.  As can be seen the color of the Classico Heavy Duty Tomato Puree changed colors after the slight simmering.  The sauce became darker and also much thicker.  I had even added water to the Classico Heavy Duty Tomato Puree before the simmer. 

I am not sure how this product would taste baked on a pizza.

I also got a can of Rienzi Crushed Peeled Italian Plum Tomatoes and Redpack Whole Peeled Tomatoes in thick puree at Walmart and will try taste testing them with the Classico products.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2012, 08:59:51 PM »
Norma

I was curious about the puree, I also have a can but haven't tried them yet. Glad you gave us your findings. I've tried the Rienzi tomatoes and they were TERRIBLE! Beware, they were by far the worst tasting tomatoes I have ever tried. Red Pack are very pedistrian, many better options available for the same price or less IMO. Let us know what you think!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
Norma

I was curious about the puree, I also have a can but haven't tried them yet. Glad you gave us your findings. I've tried the Rienzi tomatoes and they were TERRIBLE! Beware, they were by far the worst tasting tomatoes I have ever tried. Red Pack are very pedistrian, many better options available for the same price or less IMO. Let us know what you think!

Dave,

I also will be interested in what you think of your can of Classico Heavy Duty Tomato Puree.  Thanks for warning me about the Rienzi tomatoes.  :P I will see how the Red Pack tastes also.  I just thought I will pick them up while I was at Walmart.  I have so many cans of tomato products at market, we better soon get to the taste testing.  :-D

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
Norma

I'm gonna be with a bunch of pizza fanatics next weekend and I'm bringing several brands of canned tomatoes to do a taste test. Just "crushed" or "ground" will be included, have to keep it somewhat controlled. I'll report back on what the results are.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
Norma

I'm gonna be with a bunch of pizza fanatics next weekend and I'm bringing several brands of canned tomatoes to do a taste test. Just "crushed" or "ground" will be included, have to keep it somewhat controlled. I'll report back on what the results are.

Dave,

Good to hear you are going to be with a bunch of pizza fanatics next week and are going to do the taste test on several brands of canned tomatoes, with the Classico crush and ground included.  Doing the taste tests with different people is great, because each of us taste things in different ways. 

Have fun with you friends!  :)

Norma

Offline communist

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Just picked up a can of Classico peeled ground tomatoes at Walmart for 1.58.  Opened the can.  Looked just like Escalon 6 in 1, with perhaps a trace more water.  Tasted great, with perhaps a bit more sweetness.  I normally run my 6 in 1's thru my food mill - my daughter likes a smooth sauce.  I ran these thru my oxo food mill, and I had about 1/3 of discard I normally have with 6 in 1's.  Some peels and plenty of seeds.  Maybe I could even stop milling the tomatoes because they are peeled!  Will cook tomorrow on pizza, but the tomatoes look and taste great.  About half the price of shipped Escalon!  Thanks for the find guys!!!   Mark

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Mark

Glad you like the Classico's, sure as hell can't beat the price, plus availability at most Walmarts. Don't hesitate to also try the crushed version, very nice sweet taste.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
The crush version is great but has alot more water.Shake the cans and notice the difference.If I used the crush version I have to strain the water out of it.

:)
-Bill