Author Topic: Crisco Deep Dish  (Read 8397 times)

Offline buzz

Crisco Deep Dish
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:30:36 AM »
For all the Crisco fans out there--I found a recipe for yeasted biscuit dough with shortening. I didn't copy it, but it specifies 2 cups flour, 1 TBS. yeast, 2 TBS. cold butter, and 1 TBS. cold shortening. Obviously a very short knead, since it's a biscuit and the usual rise.

I wonder how this formula would work for a deep dish? Maybe 3 TBS. Crisco, or a combination of Crisco and oil? I'm tempted to try it, but I really don't like that Crisco-y taste that I get. Anybody else?

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Crisco Deep Dish
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 02:14:58 PM »
I enjoyed my last crisco dough so Ill give this one a go. Ive been wanting to try a dough with some butter in it anyway.

-Allan

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »
Please post your results!

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »
Ok. I used a bit of artistic license and changed the recipe a bit. Here is what I used:

16oz       KA AP flour
1.5 tsp    ADY
3 Tbsp    Crisco (zero trans-fat)
1.5 Tbsp butter
1.5 Tbsp salt
1.5 Tbsp sugar

The dough was flaky as expected and had a really nice flavor and consistency. Im not too good at detecting subtle flavors, but I did like the slight butter taste.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 12:02:50 AM by burn8 »

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:52:31 PM »
As usual, I mix in a KitchenAid but only for about a minute and a half. The dough is quite scrappy when I pull it out.

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:54:28 PM »
It is pretty dry which makes it difficult to make it hold together... (forgive my terrible photography skills)

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 11:56:21 PM »
After 24hrs, it sheets out quite nicely with a rolling pin. I dont usually do the laminating thing since I try to emulate my local Chicago shop which I really enjoy.

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »
I like to trim the edges (again to match my local favorite). I wouldnt mind finding a way to get my top layer of dough to stick better to the bottom layer around the rim of the pan. Obviously then, I must be creating a stuffed pie :)

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 12:01:14 AM »
And finally, a closeup of the finished product. I hope you can see how flaky this recipe turns out. I really enjoyed this crisco/butter recipe. Thanks for the idea buzz...

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 10:32:07 AM »
very cool--your finished result looks very Giordano's-like! Does it really turn out that yellow, or is it your camera? How much buttter would you say you tasted in the crust?

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 12:30:33 PM »
Any butter flavor is very subtle. As for color, I dont know why the first pictures are so yellow, but the two whiter ones are pretty representative of the real color. The color of the last closeup shot is the true color.

-Allan

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 12:52:18 PM »
I like to trim the edges (again to match my local favorite). I wouldnt mind finding a way to get my top layer of dough to stick better to the bottom layer around the rim of the pan. Obviously then, I must be creating a stuffed pie :)

Use a rolling pin to fuse the two layers of dough together (roll along the top edge of the pan).
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline buzz

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 01:06:11 PM »
I'm wondering about using frozen Crisco. Would that level of cold affect the yeast?

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
I think when added to a 70 degree ball of dough, the crisco would no stay frozen for long.

One thing you can do is freeze the crisco then add it during the 'laminating" process so you have it layered in with the dough. You can use a very fine cheese grater to make small slivers of frozen crisco to spread thinly over the dough before folding it. Im sure this would get you closer to a pastry type structure.

-Allan

Offline buzz

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 09:36:25 AM »
I think the point of the solid fat is to coat it with the raw flour--this is what creates the ultimate flakiness in the baking stage. Well, I guess the only way is to try it!

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 11:09:06 AM »
Bumpin' the Crisco Chicago Pie.
Since I may just try this one soon.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 10:06:35 PM »
Hi Burn8,

I really have to compliment on your new pie there.  I also have to ask you how deep that dish it.
It's a very nice pan to make such a DEEP dish.  Any chance of you post ing a picture of it from the side ?
- I've never seen a dish that deep.

The pizza is really a thing of beauty, very uniform, and it just looks so dang good.... hell, can we say
damn good ? well there ya go, I said it...  :P

I love the colour to it, it really DOES look like a buttery kind of dough.  Makes me want to make one.

I need a pan like that also. geez.

Anyway great great job on that.  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 08:39:34 AM »
It looks really good, but my problem with stuffed is that top layer of dough that doesn't cook properly because it is directly under the sauce. A lot of people think that it is actually cheese because of its consistency. When I make it at home, I put the sauce on only at the last 15 minutes. There a VERY few places that do likewise for their stuffed. Durbin's Pizza on Chicago's Southwest side cooks it fully before putting on the sauce.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 08:50:54 AM »
At first I kind of agreed with you, but then upon looking exactly where the point of your arrow is, I have to disagree.
That indeed looks like cheese.

I don't know much about Chicago deep dish, but I do believe that the cheese is put right on top of the dough.  Uncooked
dough doesn't melt like it is in that image ( exactly where the point of your arrow is )

I will agree that with a very very heavy thick pizza, you will maybe end up with uncooked portions of dough, but this can
be easily rectified by lowering the temp in the oven.

I really do believe your arrow is pointing to cheese, as I do see it melting there.

If you even look at the arrow head you have drawn, the 2 bottom tips of the actual arrow head are sitting on melted cheese.

Any dough that would not be cooked would be *below* that area .... that's melted cheese I'm sure.

I guess we can ask the original poster to send a link to a larger image so we can really do some CSI work
on this pizza mystery  ;D

It looks really good, but my problem with stuffed is that top layer of dough that doesn't cook properly because it is directly under the sauce. A lot of people think that it is actually cheese because of its consistency. When I make it at home, I put the sauce on only at the last 15 minutes. There a VERY few places that do likewise for their stuffed. Durbin's Pizza on Chicago's Southwest side cooks it fully before putting on the sauce.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 08:53:05 AM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »
The uncooked top crust on a stuffed pizza is not a difficult problem to overcome.  Look at commercial pizza ovens or a Neapolitan style pizza ovens.  They vary hugely on the diameter of the ovens but they all have 1 thing in common - a relatively low ceiling.  I think the home hearth kits are misguided.  They restrict the diameter of the oven but not the ceiling.  At home, I bake my pizzas with 1 stone on the bottom rack of the oven (2.5 inches above the floor of a gas oven) and an extra stone 3 racks above the first rack - 7.5 inches in my oven.  The results - in my hands perfectly baked pizzas including stuffed crust.  You wouldn't even have to use another pizza stone to compress your oven, you could use unglazed quarry tiles.