Author Topic: Crisco Deep Dish  (Read 8645 times)

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Crisco Deep Dish
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 11:46:49 AM »
I think itsinthesauce may be right. The recipe that burn8 used had no water, only the Crisco and butter, and he mentioned in one of his posts (when asked about using frozen Crisco) that the dough ball had a temperature of 70 degrees. Even with yeast at around 1.2%, the lack of water would really slow down the rate of fermentation. Clearly, from the photos, the dough was very dry. So I think it could withstand a 24-hour room temperature fermentation.

Didn't look at the ingredients, so I didn't pick up on the lack or water. I must say, I am skeptical that the crisco and butter alone would provide sufficient moisture to even activate the yeast, much less cause fermentation, esp. the recipe specifies ADY. Even pie crust recipies call for 1-2 Tbs of water or other moisture, so I have to wonder whether burn8 inadvertently omitted the water from the recipe. Guess I'll have to try it to see for myself.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2006, 12:12:38 PM »
gottabedapan,

I am as skeptical as you, but if you look at buzz's recipe in the first post of this thread--the recipe that burn8 apparently modified--you will not see any water there either.

Peter

Offline buzz

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »
Lol! I wasn't posting a recipe, but a generalized speculation--I'm afraid I was guilty of assuming that one would of course use water (or even milk) to make such a recipe! I can't imagine how it would come together otherwise, unless you melted the butter...

Sorry about that!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
buzz,

Now you can see why I said I was skeptical, as was gottabedapan. I even went back and did a rough calculation of the baker's percents for the Crisco and butter and got a total of a bit over 9%. That didn't seem high enough but since I don't bake biscuits I couldn't tell for sure. It is rather funny though ;D.

Peter

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
Now you can see why I said I was skeptical, as was gottabedapan. I even went back and did a rough calculation of the baker's percents for the Crisco and butter and got a total of a bit over 9%. That didn't seem high enough but since I don't bake biscuits I couldn't tell for sure. It is rather funny though ;D.

Well, now that you mention it, the shortening seemed on the low side to me, too. Most of my biscuit recipies call for 1/3 c shortening per 1 c apf. I've got a biscuit recipe that uses both baking powder and yeast that calls for 1/2 c shortening to 2 1/2 c flour, which works out to 5 3/4 Tbs for 2c flour, which is about 25% more than burn8 used. (It also calls for 1/4 c water and 3/4 c buttermilk.)

And before you ask: yes, I have tried if as a pizza crust. As to whether it was any good, let's just say it makes a heckuva tasty biscuit and leave it at that.  ::)

Offline buzz

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »
Lol!

pizzapan