Author Topic: Dewey's Pizza - Perfection (replication?)  (Read 14147 times)

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
Dewey's Pizza - Perfection (replication?)
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
Dewey's Pizza started in 1998 and has expanded to several locations scattered in St Louis MO, Cleveland, Dayton, and Columbus.  The pizza is amazing, with a New York style puffed cornicione with zero bready-dough taste and 100% billowy spiderwebby voids.  The sauce stands out on it own with a nice blend of acidity, sweetness, and spice.  Of particular interest to readers of this forum is that the kitchen is completely visible to patrons through a huge 15 foot long plexiglass window near the back of the dining room.  This means nearly the entire pizza making process is fully visible -including the shaping and tossing of the dough to the final placement of the pie into the Baker's Pride deck ovens.   http://deweyspizza.com/

With all of this said, can anyone take a guess at a clone recipe?  I'm hoping that the photos of the dough balls and finished crust, along with the video of the hand tossing will help with hydration estimates.  I attached a few pictures of the last Dewey's pizza I purchased, along with a video I shot of the pizza cooks shaping and tossing the dough.  The sheen in the second picture is attributable to a misting bottle of oil that the cooks used to coat newly revealed dough balls.

Video of dough preparation:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFXpaQbG3A" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFXpaQbG3A</a>
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:19:56 PM by johnamus »

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
Re: Dewey's Pizza - Perfection (replication?)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
pics

Offline reinfuje

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »
Dewey's was actually started in Cincinnati.  The service, pizza's and salads are very good.  I normally go to the University City, MO restaurant.  I have been wondering what the dough formulation is since it not like the other New York style doughs used at La Pizza and Raccanelli's in St. Louis nor like what I have had at Lombardi's and John's in NYC.  I don't think it is a high gluten flour like All Trump or KASL.  The crust has a soft texture.  I noticed after it is in the oven for a few minutes the pizza is transferred to a screen.  Baking times is probably in excess of 6 minutes.
The sauce is somewhat spicy. 
I would be interested if the forum members can provide some insight.

John

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »
try any of the recipes that i've posted in the past few months
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »
Dewey's was actually started in Cincinnati.  The service, pizza's and salads are very good.  I normally go to the University City, MO restaurant.  I have been wondering what the dough formulation is since it not like the other New York style doughs used at La Pizza and Raccanelli's in St. Louis nor like what I have had at Lombardi's and John's in NYC.  I don't think it is a high gluten flour like All Trump or KASL.  The crust has a soft texture.  I noticed after it is in the oven for a few minutes the pizza is transferred to a screen.  Baking times is probably in excess of 6 minutes.
The sauce is somewhat spicy. 
I would be interested if the forum members can provide some insight.

John

I go to the U City location as well, in fact I took the attached pictures there yesterday :) 

You mentioned the soft texture of the crust, and I believe this is the key difference between a Dewey's pie and other NYC style pies.  If I had to describe it with an example, I would say that the finished cornicione from a typical Dewey's pizza can be smashed to a very thin width with minimal effort, whereas a similar smashing effort directed toward a typical NYC wouldn't result in the same amount of compression due to its slightly bready and dry texture.  For example, if you look at the extreme outside perimeter of the cornicione on the pizza that c0mpl3x posted (looks absolutely delicious by the way), you can see that it is a tad thicker in comparison to the Dewey's example.  The Dewey's outside perimeter is paper thin, and is as close to a monocoque crust as you can possibly get.  Monocoque, that's the best way to define the crust in a single word.  Its difficult to describe without actually eating the pizza.  Would this tenderness be due to lower oven temperatures? or perhaps the use of oils and dough conditioners? 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:24:15 PM by johnamus »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
I go to the U City location as well, in fact I took the attached pictures there yesterday :) 

You mentioned the soft texture of the crust, and I believe this is the key difference between a Dewey's pie and other NYC style pies.  If I had to describe it with an example, I would say that the finished cornicione from a typical Dewey's pizza can be smashed to a very thin width with minimal effort, whereas a similar smashing effort directed toward a typical NYC wouldn't result in the same amount of compression due to its slightly bready and dry texture.  For example, if you look at the extreme outside perimeter of the cornicione on the pizza that c0mpl3x posted (looks absolutely delicious by the way), you can see that it is a tad thicker in comparison to the Dewey's example.  The Dewey's outside perimeter is paper thin, and is as close to a monocoque crust as you can possibly get.  Monocoque, that's the best way to define the crust in a single word.  Its difficult to describe without actually eating the pizza.  Would this tenderness be due to lower oven temperatures? or perhaps the use of oils and dough conditioners? 

i will add, that the pizza i posted, was less than 3 hours from mixing to picture.   i get impatient with 1-2-3+ day doughs, and rarely make them.   granted, i can and have, but i find myself on short notice for pizza most of the time

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
c0mpl3x, that pizza looks amazing, is the recipe posted somewhere on this site?

I'm going to email Dewey's to try to obtain insight into their procedures and/or recipe, hopefully they'll be willing to divulge details regarding their unique crust.  Considering their kitchens feature a giant picture window on the wall adjacent to the dining room, there is a good chance that they'll be forthcoming. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:49:30 AM by johnamus »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »
That's a beautiful crumb shot Jon.  I took a look at some of the recipes you've posted and didn't see when you divide and ball your dough.  Do you ball it right after the initial stretch and folds or do you bulk it to double first then divide and ball?

Chau

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
A friend of mine took a pizza making class from Dewey's a few years ago and got this recipe.  I've tried it a few times and it's pretty close but I'd love to see Pete, Norma, Scott - etc give it a look and see if they can offer any additional assistance.

Dewey’s Pizza Dough
Makes 2 12” Pizzas

1 ½ cups of warm water (110-115 F)
2 T Sugar
1 Packet of active dry yeast (2 ¼ t) (I only use ½ t to 1 tsp if I intend to make the pizza the next day)
1 ½ t Salt
2 T Olive Oil
4 Cups of All Purpose Flour (use bread flour for a chewier crust)

Pour warm water, sugar and yeast into a bowl and stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Make sure yeast is ‘active’ by making sure a foamy head appears on surface.

Add salt, olive oil to bowl and stir.  Add one cup of flour at a time and stir to combine.  It’s helpful to have a mixer to do this work for you – like a whirlpool mixer with the dough hook, if not knead by hand. After you add the 4th cup of flour, knead for about 10 minutes.  It should be very smooth texture and about the size of the grapefruit.  Split into two small balls and place each in a slightly oiled bowl.  Be sure to get a bit of oil on the outer dough ball so it doesn’t dry out.  Put plastic wrap over bowl and let rise for 75 min if you used 2 ¼ t or put in fridge if you used the smaller amount of yeast and allow to rise overnight or multiple nights. 

Roll out dough, top and place in a pre-heated 500 degree oven (I let the oven preheat for 1 hr).  I also place dough on a paddle and slide onto a stone.  If you don’t have a stone you can you a cookie sheet.   Bake 6-10 minutes.   Enjoy.   

Offline clkou

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
It's amazing to me that all these recipes look remarkably the same yet there are so many different results.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »
I thought that the recipe looked familiar. It is the subject of the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26686.html#msg26686. If that is the recipe that Dewey's is usng, it is not a NY style dough recipe but rather something that more resembles a thin American style pizza because of the high oil and sugar content. For more on the recipe see item 1 under General at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.msg71576.html#msg71576.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
55% hydration 5% oil 2.75% salt 4.5% sugar and around .3% yeast would be my guess.

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
55% hydration 5% oil 2.75% salt 4.5% sugar and around .3% yeast would be my guess.

Bake time?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
Bake time?

500-525º would be my guess.  time can't be answered, it's like asking 'what is the best soda?' it's all in what you find yourself.  10mins for me could be 12 for you and 8 for the next guy

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 01:22:45 PM »
That's a beautiful crumb shot Jon.  I took a look at some of the recipes you've posted and didn't see when you divide and ball your dough.  Do you ball it right after the initial stretch and folds or do you bulk it to double first then divide and ball?

Chau

after initial mix, i usually let it set for 10-30 mins and get a grasp on doing it's dough things before i start hacking and folding it, usually. after the dough shows signs of life, i will divide it down, usually into 2-3 balls, sometimes no dividing at all if it's one large pan pizza or a single ball recipe. after i divide, i dust the dough with flour on the new sticky parts exposed, and sort of do a triangle stretch and fold because it always seems to wind up in a triangle shape after i divide.  i give it a light balling, and place on a canola sprayed steamwell pan that i cover with plastic wrap.  after an hour or so, or if its a high yeast % dough, and shows signs of rising more than i want, i stretch and fold it, and give it a hard reball. at this point i usually let it sit until doubled or slightly more, i've used dough tripled with no problems.  very airy, crunchy crust, and moist crumb in my experiences

i don't max out the stretch and folds when i make my dough, i do just enough to get surface tension, give it enough of a ball to keep it somewhat round, and place back into the pan to rise more.

personal note: this is what i do for same day dough. for an extended period, i would maximize my stretch and folds to the point that the dough will barely stick and hold to itself on the stretch and folds.

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »
Thanks Pete.  looks like maybe the recipe my friend was given was a hoax and not really linked to Deweys.  Deweys is pretty sweet and moist - almost like a soft sweet bun so I always thought the recipe seemed pretty legit.

Offline budgetpizza

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »
C0mpl3x I just tested your technique and got the best pizza I've made yet. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »
C0mpl3x I just tested your technique and got the best pizza I've made yet. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips!

good to know, sometimes i feel/sound like i'm full of myself.  it's refreshing when someone gets results equal to or better than my results, for the same techniques.

remember, some techniques are better for some than others.  it may work for keste, papa johns, or the down the street mom/pop shop, but it may not work for you, and vice versa

Offline FJPhil

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Just wanted to throw in another request for a Dewey's clone.....it's my favorite pizza shop in the area.

I've tried a couple of the recipe's on here, including the one in this thread...but they aren't quite right.  Dewey's crust almost has a 'pastry' quality to it....it's crisp on the outside, very airy and delicate on the inside...almost Croissant like, with a touch of sweetness.  It is not 'bready' at all ..which unfortunately for me, any recipe that I've tried that uses Bread flour always winds up with a fairly dense, bread like crust.

Offline FJPhil

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »
I have some more information pertinent to this conversation...... After my last trip to Dewey's I asked them if I could purchase their dough, to which they luckily obliged. 

So I bought 1 dough ball that they would use for a 13" pizza.  I brought it home and stored it in the fridge for 2 days before making it today. 

A few notes...
1. The weight of the dough ball was exactly 395g

2. The dough was fairly wet (wet enough to stick to plastic wrap, but not actually stick to the plastic wrap..meaning when I took the plastic off, no dough was stuck to the plastic)

3. It smelled like a low-yeast, cold fermented dough....but then again, i sniffed it after keeping it in my fridge for 2 days

4. It was probably the easiest dough I've ever worked with...I stretched it to my 14" screen by simply tossing it a few times

5. The dough was very "airy" , it was the only dough I've ever worked with that actually formed a lot of air bubbles as I formed the skin

Of course I didnt take pictures..which was probably better off because I wound up slightly burning the thing. However, when I was done, the crust had pretty much the same texture as what I eat at Deweys.  My pizza was a little thinner due to the fact that I fit it a 13" dough to a 14" screen.   

pizzapan