Author Topic: CENTO brand tomatoes  (Read 3041 times)

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
CENTO brand tomatoes
« on: July 12, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »
Has anyone ever used the "CENTO" brand of San Marzano peeled tomatoes?  Do they carry the DOP certification?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: CENTO brand tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 01:16:25 PM »
Tony,

To be DOP, the letters D.O.P. should be on the label, as well as a numbered certification, usually located on the side of the label.

Peter

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:17:34 PM »
They have DOP and non DOP versions of that product. Like pete stated, if they are DOP, then it would say so on the label fairly prominently. I use the DOP version as the base for my sauce, I like them alot.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 02:33:02 PM »
Thanks guys,

Ya, I'll have to check out the label more closely.   It cost $4.24 per 28 o.z. can........(seems a little steep)......Oh well, I'll probably give it a try.

Tony

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 03:22:15 PM »
I use these in Varasano's Patsy Sauce clone and have found them to be very good. I saw two varieties side by side in Albertsons: one that was made in Italy and a domestic one that said "Italian-style". The cans are almost identical, so you have to pay attention. You picture shows the genuine Italian ones. I haven't tried the domestic ones.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »
tony I have been using the centos that you have pictured.  Although they are not SM's they are really quite good.  I don't know if the DOC ones are this way, but the cans pictured have TONS of usable tomatoe in them.  Way more than most cans this size.  Also the fruit is always very high quality with very little white, green, or yellow product.  I have found the flavor to be milder than a few brands of San Marzano's, but the same as many of the DOC San Marzano brands that are out there.  From doing a lot of taste tests I have come to the conclusion that there is no need to get hung up on the DOC labels.  I have found DOC San Marzano tomatoes that I have liked less than the Cento (non DOC, not even San Marzanos) that you have pictured.  Your best bet is to just buy one can of any San Marzanos (DOC or not) and any imported Italian tomatoes that you can find at your local markets.  Open all the cans at once and taste them right out of the can.  I'll bet you will find at least one can of great product.

pizzapan