Author Topic: Domino's Top Secret Recipes  (Read 100541 times)

Offline PiedPiper

Domino's Top Secret Recipes
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
I love that show on CMT Top Secret Recipes,  on this weeks episode they cloned a Dominos pizza.  Havent tried it yet but if anyone does let me know what you think.  This was copied from http://www.cmt.com/news/feature/1673197/todd-wilburs-version-of-dominos-large-cheese-pizza.jhtml

"Todd Wilbur's Version of Domino's Large Cheese Pizza
October 26, 2011
To create a dough that is most like the stuff you get at Domnino's, you should let it rise for 48 hours in your refrigerator. If you don't want to wait that long, at least let the dough rise overnight. If you can't find high-gluten flour, use 25 ounces of bread flour. And if you want the absolute best clone, bake the pizza on a 14-inch perforated pan or pizza screen. This recipe makes two plain cheese pizzas, but feel free to add the toppings of your choice before baking.

Dough
16 ounces bottled water (room temperature)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon yeast (not rapid-rise yeast)
13 ounces bread flour
12 ounces high-gluten flour (such as Bouncer)
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup cornmeal for tossing dough

Sauce
cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups Hunt's or Contadina tomato puree
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon ground oregano
teaspoon dried basil
teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

6 cups shredded mozzarella-provolone cheese blend

Garlic Oil Spread (for crust)
cup (1 stick) margarine
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
teaspoon dried parsley (crushed)
teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in water.

2. Combine flours and salt in a mixer using a paddle.

3. When yeast solution begins to foam, pour into flour along with oil. Use a dough hook to mix until all ingredients come together. Knead with dough hook for 5 minutes. Place dough in a plastic bag and then into your refrigerator for two days.

4. Make the sauce by pureeing the crushed tomatoes in a blender until smooth, then combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. When mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool, then chill in a covered container until you make your pizza.

5. When you are ready to make pizza, preheat a convection oven to 450 (or conventional oven to 475).

6. Divide the dough in half. Form half of the dough into a dough ball on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle cornmeal on a clean flat surface and begin to stretch out the dough, using your hands until you have stretched it enough to fit on a 14-inch pizza screen. Lay the dough onto the screen, and stretch it to form a perfect circle to the edge of the screen.

7. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the pizza dough leaving about a 1-inch margin at the edge.

8. Sprinkle about 3 cups of the shredded cheese blend over the sauce. Don't worry if some falls onto the edge of the dough.

9. Bake pizza for 8 to 9 minutes or until cheese and crust begins to brown.

10. While the pizza bakes, make the garlic oil spread by melting margarine in microwave oven or in a small saucepan over low heat. Use a mortar and pestle (or your fingers and a small bowl) to crush the dried parsley into smaller bits. Remove melted margarine from the heat and add Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic and salt.

11. When pizza is done, remove it from the oven and brush crust with garlic oil spread. Use a pizza wheel to cut pizza into 8 slices. Repeat process for second large pizza.

Makes 2 large pizzas.

Recipes by Todd Wilbur taken from CMT's Top Secret Recipe have not been reviewed for accuracy or endorsed by the applicable restaurant or food service provider. "

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Domino's Top Secret Recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »
PiedPiper,

The pecking order of ingredients look to be correct, but I do not believe that the quantities of several of the ingredients are correct. Also, the Wilbur dough recipe does not appear to take into account that flour and whey also contain some natural fat, sodium and sugars. According to Tom Lehmann, Domino's uses frozen dough balls in their stores (which Domino's denies) and, as such, the dough balls also include some vital wheat gluten (which also contains protein and fat) and a few other ingredients as well, including L-cysteine, that the Wilbur recipe naturally does not take into account since his recipe is for home use. The L-cysteine and whey are the two ingredients used in PZ-44 (from Foremost Farms).

Tom Lehmann recently opined on the Domino's dough at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10174&hilit=#p72903.

By my calculation, the amount of dough produced using the Wilbur recipe is about right for two pizzas (around 22 ounces per dough ball, although 21 ounces might be a bit closer), especially when dough losses during preparation are taken into account. I did a calculation of the protein content of the bread flour (I used the King Arthur bread flour for calculation purposes) and Bouncer high-gluten flour (I assumed an unbromated version of the Bouncer flour with a protein content of 13.8%) and the protein content I come up with for the Wilbur flour blend is 13.228%. Using a hydration of 64% with such a blend, and with about 5.8% oil, would produce a dough ball with an "effective" hydration of 69.8% that would seem to me to be hard for most people to handle (overly sticky and extensible) without doing a series of stretch and folds or similar measures.

A hydration of 64% seems high but I read an account a while back that Domino's was using a dough press in at least some of its stores. If that is correct, then maybe the high hydration helps, along with the whey and L-cysteine (PZ-44 ingredients). But that raises the question as to whether the dough skin can properly be called "hand tossed".

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
Adding to my last post, there is a pretty good video for making a Domino's pepperoni pizza at
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9cTTZ2GjzQ." target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9cTTZ2GjzQ.</a>
That video was featured on YouTube after Domino's did their pizza makeover. Not only does the video show how to open up a Domino's dough ball by hand (which would appear to rule out the use of dough presses) but it also shows the amounts of sauce and cheese to make different size pizzas and, in the case of the specific video, the number of pepperoni slices to use on different size pepperoni pizzas. I believe that the sauce quantities are by volume and that the amounts of cheese are by weight. Those numbers may help those who decide to try the Wilbur recipes. I believe that the pepperoni pizza in the video is a 12" pizza (because there appears to be 30 pepperoni slices).

Peter

Offline Skootch

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
Peter, thanks for the youtube link, it was informative.  I have made Wilbur's dough recipe, somewhat modified so that I can weigh all ingredients, 5 times now and I like it better than any of the other posted American style pies.  Don't bother with Wilbur's sauce, it was terrible.  I have found that using your latest Papa John's sauce recipe (as noted in reply #31 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.20.html), but using the new Classico Heavy Tomato Puree (available at most Walmarts) which lists only heavy tomato puree and salt under ingredients to be superb.  This Classico puree is quite sweet so I reduced the sugar to 8 g. and could probably reduce it even more.  Anyway, here's my recipe.  Note, I am using Gold Medal Supreme High Gluten flour which is listed to be 13.6% protein:

Ingredients for one 14" size (22.25 oz)

High Gluten Flour (100%)   360.14 g   (12.70 oz)
Water (63%)                     226.89 g   (8.00 oz)
IDY (0.25%)                         0.90 g   (0.03 oz)
Morton  Kosher Salt (1.4%)    5.04 g   (0.18 oz)
Soybean Oil (5.5%)              19.81 g   (0.70 oz)
Sugar (5%)                         18.01 g   (0.64 oz)
Total                                 630.79 g   (22.25  oz)

I add all the ingredients to my Kitchen Aid 600 mixer (using only the spiral hook) at once, use stir speed just until most of the flour is hydrated, then let it rest with saran wrap cover for 20 minutes.  Then I use speed 2 for 5.5 minutes after which I remove from mixer, ball the dough and into a lightly oiled Tupperware container for a 2 day refrigeration before using.  I do not find the dough very sticky at all and after the two days in the fridge, the dough is very easy to open.

Does anyone have Domino's recipe for the oil they squirt on the cornicione after it is boxed?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:57:39 PM by Skootch »
Rudy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
Does anyone have Domino's recipe for the oil they squirt on the cornicione after it is boxed?

Skootch,

I don't know which oil formula is used but you might check out those listed in the Domino's ingredients list at http://express.dominos.com/pages/ingredients.jsp. It looks like a bunch of chemicals and additives.

Peter

Offline Skootch

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
Peter, thanks for that link.   Wow, that's a scary list of ingredients.  I think I'll stick to what I've been using, which is simply melted margarine with some Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning (1 TBS to 1/3 cup margarine).  Seems to taste pretty good.

BTW, I also have a 28 oz can of Classico Crushed Tomatoes (also from Walmart) which lists unpeeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy tomato puree, and salt as the only ingredients.  I'll try this can the next time I make your PJ's sauce recipe.  I definitely liked the Classico puree much more than the Walmart branded, maybe because it lacks the citric acid (which I dislike the taste of).

Rudy
Rudy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
BTW, I also have a 28 oz can of Classico Crushed Tomatoes (also from Walmart) which lists unpeeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy tomato puree, and salt as the only ingredients.  I'll try this can the next time I make your PJ's sauce recipe.  I definitely liked the Classico puree much more than the Walmart branded, maybe because it lacks the citric acid (which I dislike the taste of).

Skootch,

I think that the Classico Crushed Tomatoes may be the same as the 6-in-1s from Escalon. Escalon is a unit of Heinz, which is behind the line of Classico tomato products. I don't have any 6-in-1s on hand to do a side by side comparison, but the Classico Crushed Tomatoes I used recently seemed to have the same taste characteristics as the 6-in-1s. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Classico Crushed Tomatoes in lieu of the 6-in-1s. I'm happy that the Classico tomatoes are on the Wal-Mart shelves. That will make life easier for the home pizza maker. 

Peter

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the info regarding the 6-in-1 and Classico comparison.  I hear great things about the 6-in-1's, but they aren't readily available whereas the Classico brand is carried nearby.  Since I haven't tried the 6-in-1's I also won't be able to do a side by side comparison, but I appreciate the heads up.

-John

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
Finally got around to trying this dough and you are correct, 25 ounces of BF (709.0g) to 16 ounces of water (452.8g) produces a dough that is way too sticky to be handled (at least by me).  I had to add  190.3g additional flour to make it handle to my liking, below is my updated recipe:

Flour (100%):    718.36 g  |  25.34 oz | 1.58 lbs
Water (51%):    366.36 g  |  12.92 oz | 0.81 lbs
ADY (.52%):    3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.99 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Salt (2.2%):    15.8 g | 0.56 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.83 tsp | 0.94 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (6.06%):    43.53 g | 1.54 oz | 0.1 lbs | 9.59 tsp | 3.2 tbsp
Sugar (5.89%):    42.31 g | 1.49 oz | 0.09 lbs | 10.61 tsp | 3.54 tbsp
Total (165.67%):   1190.1 g | 41.98 oz | 2.62 lbs | TF = 0.13635
Single Ball:   595.05 g | 20.99 oz | 1.31 lbs

I guessed at a TF of .135  is this about the ballpark figure for a domino's pizza?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
I guessed at a TF of .135  is this about the ballpark figure for a domino's pizza?

PiedPiper,

I would say that you are pretty close.

Peter

Offline james456

• NY & American Style Pizza Lover
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »
Finally got around to trying this dough and you are correct, 25 ounces of BF (709.0g) to 16 ounces of water (452.8g) produces a dough that is way too sticky to be handled (at least by me).  I had to add  190.3g additional flour to make it handle to my liking, below is my updated recipe:

Flour (100%):    718.36 g  |  25.34 oz | 1.58 lbs
Water (51%):    366.36 g  |  12.92 oz | 0.81 lbs
ADY (.52%):    3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.99 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Salt (2.2%):    15.8 g | 0.56 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.83 tsp | 0.94 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (6.06%):    43.53 g | 1.54 oz | 0.1 lbs | 9.59 tsp | 3.2 tbsp
Sugar (5.89%):    42.31 g | 1.49 oz | 0.09 lbs | 10.61 tsp | 3.54 tbsp
Total (165.67%):   1190.1 g | 41.98 oz | 2.62 lbs | TF = 0.13635
Single Ball:   595.05 g | 20.99 oz | 1.31 lbs

How'd it go?

Are you any closer to a Dominos clone?

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
This thread would be 329487239847328947 times better with PICTURES!!!!!     :-D :chef:

seriously, let's see 'em folks!!!

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
How'd it go?

Are you any closer to a Dominos clone?

I haven't really worked on perfecting a Dominos clone,  the way I see it is if the family wants Dominos there is one right down the road.  We did see this on tv though and they wanted to try it (I was a bit curious too) so I figured why not.  I dont see myself making it again, but if i do ill post up pics.

Offline marjax

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
Peter, thanks for the youtube link, it was informative.  I have made Wilbur's dough recipe, somewhat modified so that I can weigh all ingredients, 5 times now and I like it better than any of the other posted American style pies.  Don't bother with Wilbur's sauce, it was terrible.  I have found that using your latest Papa John's sauce recipe (as noted in reply #31 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.20.html), but using the new Classico Heavy Tomato Puree (available at most Walmarts) which lists only heavy tomato puree and salt under ingredients to be superb.  This Classico puree is quite sweet so I reduced the sugar to 8 g. and could probably reduce it even more.  Anyway, here's my recipe.  Note, I am using Gold Medal Supreme High Gluten flour which is listed to be 13.6% protein:

Ingredients for one 14" size (22.25 oz)

High Gluten Flour (100%)   360.14 g   (12.70 oz)
Water (63%)                     226.89 g   (8.00 oz)
IDY (0.25%)                         0.90 g   (0.03 oz)
Morton  Kosher Salt (1.4%)    5.04 g   (0.18 oz)
Soybean Oil (5.5%)              19.81 g   (0.70 oz)
Sugar (5%)                         18.01 g   (0.64 oz)
Total                                 630.79 g   (22.25  oz)

I add all the ingredients to my Kitchen Aid 600 mixer (using only the spiral hook) at once, use stir speed just until most of the flour is hydrated, then let it rest with saran wrap cover for 20 minutes.  Then I use speed 2 for 5.5 minutes after which I remove from mixer, ball the dough and into a lightly oiled Tupperware container for a 2 day refrigeration before using.  I do not find the dough very sticky at all and after the two days in the fridge, the dough is very easy to open.

Does this make a thin or a thick crust pizza?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
Does this make a thin or a thick crust pizza?
marjax,

The thickness factor for the recipe you quoted is 0.14454. That is considerably above thin but less than thick. "Medium" might be the best characterization. The crust would be a bit thicker than a Papa John's regular style if you have had one of their pizzas. A typical dough for a 14" Papa John's pizza would be around 20 ounces, give or take a fraction of an ounce.

Peter

Offline myobaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »
Try using this sauce instead... except only use about half of the honey, and cayenne pepper... I also don't use any anchovy paste, and when it calls for salt to taste remember, less is more... if you want it to taste like actual dominos, use about one teaspoon of salt to the following recipe... hope this helps! And trust me, this sauce is well worth the time... also, don't forget to use your garlic oil spread! Use a lot of it!

Exquisite pizza sauce:
Recipe by: angie gorkoff

Ingredients
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
salt to taste