Author Topic: My birthday present  (Read 1276 times)

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
Re: My birthday present
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
I should add that VPN is utterly meaningless to me and the fact that a bunch of folks want to make identical pizza in the identical way to me is a hallmark of mediocrity or a franchise.

I'm not saying they don't make better pizza than me. Just that I don't think pizza needs to be regulated.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
I'm not saying they don't make better pizza than me.

I'm pretty confident that when you get your WFO up and running, you will make better pizza that the typical VPN establishment.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »
I'm pretty confident that when you get your WFO up and running, you will make better pizza that the typical VPN establishment.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  And I am pretty sure you are correct. But, right or wrong, the regulations (which can be read in english here are amusing to read.

Offline Colonel Crust

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Just returning from a trip and catching up. I dont have a wine fridge or a way to achieve really stable temps other than a traditional fridge. Are there alternatives for someone starting out? All my pizzas prior have been NY style.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »
In this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18509.msg179991.html#msg179991 , Craig describes how he uses a cooler to maintain stable fermentation temperatures.

Before I got my wine fridge, I found a place in the basement of the house that had a reasonably steady low temperature.  If you have a laser gun, then you can hunt around for a stable cool spot such as a basement or downstairs bathroom or closet.

You can use one of Craig's temperature charts (one for yeast, the other for sourdough) to help use the right amount of yeast for the temperature you use.
Mitch

Offline Colonel Crust

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the link Mitch.  How important is the "lowered room temperature" rise?  What would happen if I followed traditional New york techniques, for example, with altered recipe?

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
Thanks for the link Mitch.  How important is the "lowered room temperature" rise?  What would happen if I followed traditional New york techniques, for example, with altered recipe?

You can easily go with a standard fridge ferment(I often do when I have more things going on during my week). You'll just have to go for a longer ferment allow a little more time when bringing the bulk dough back to room temperature before balling. Set your fridge temp to about 38f if you can. Also, increase your IDY % a bit. (use Craig's chart as a guideline for a temp in that department). You can get away with about 0.1% for a minimum of a 72 hour fridge ferment.

One of things you lose with a longer fridge ferment is the wider time window of when the dough balls are easy to work with. The closer to room temp you ferment in bulk and the less yeast you use, the slower your dough balls are to over-rise, over-expand or over-relax. BUT...you can get a nice window of 3 or 4 hours in Springtime with dough that easy to work with and that turns out some tender and tasty crust.

But climate can make things a challenge, as well as other things. Keep a notes on what works and what doesn't and you'll soon hone in on what works best in the conditions and the ingredients you have.

pizzapan