Author Topic: Finally some NP pies  (Read 17607 times)

Offline bakeshack

Re: Finally some NP pies
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »
more:

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2012, 01:32:22 AM »
Tonight's dinner. . . .

Beautiful works of art! I think I can safely use the adjective "rustic" (meaning unpretentious, down-to-earth, and heart-felt) to characterize them. Thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:15 AM »
Thank you very much for the wonderful compliment Omid!

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:49 AM »
Marlon

Those are some unique pies to say the least.  What was your favorite flavor combo?  I've always wanted to make a spanish style pie with the Manchego... Did you just grate some on top?

FYI.... I go to your thread to get inspiration for toppings on every bake... they very much appeal to me.  I'm still haunted by that Chorizo, jalapeno, and egg pie (in a good way ;))

Scot

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »
Thank you Scot!  I'm glad that you are enjoying the toppings.  Spanish food is my favorite cuisine so I have to fit some of the great flavors and ingredients from Spain in my pizzas.  The Jamon iberico and manchego was my favorite although it was an indulgence with the crazy high price of the jamon iberico ($80/lb)!  I shaved the manchego do you can really taste it (try the 12 months aged Manchego).  I just put them on top post bake followed by the jamon. 

Marlon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
You can really crank out some incredible looking pies Marlon, and the flavor combinations are always inspiring.

I do have to ask; Jamon Iberico de Bellota on a pizza? Is that not a waste? Seems like the subtle sweetness and acorn nuances of that ham that makes it so special would be lost on the pizza not to mention what the heat would do to the incredible marbling?  :'( 

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
 marlon, your pies are beautiful.i can see differences in each flour change. can you taste differences between the three ?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
Thank you Craig and Larry!  I can taste the difference between each flour (CM"00", San Felice, Caputo) although the texture is very close to each other (with adjusted hydration for the CM "00"). 

Craig, it seems like a waste but once you eat it, it's really good.  I put the pieces of shaved Manchego post bake which almost covered the entire pie and then I put the Jamon on top.  The heat from the pie although protected by the cheese actually melts the fat from the pig which brings out its real quality.  In Spain, they would serve it in warm plates to allow the fat to melt slightly. 

Marlon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Call me a ham snob  :-D but I'm going to use the de Parma for pizza and save the de Bellota for savoring.

I have ho doubt it was an incredible pie nonetheless.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
I baked these tonight.  These are definitely the closest I have come to achieving the leoparding that I am after.  

100% San Felice STG
61% Water
2% Poolish (fresh yeast)
2.8% Salt

Hand mixed/kneaded.  2-hr bulk, 44-hr ball at 65-70F.  Baked at 875F for about 60-70 secs.

Some pics:

1)  Smoked pepperoni, crimini mushroom, dry mozzarella
2)  Crimini mushroom, aged white cheddar, dry mozzarella, black pepper, white truffle powder

Marlon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »
They are getting better and better with every bake!!!

Absolutely beautiful! Works of art! Bravo! ...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »
What are the biggest changes you made over the past 5 months since you first started this thread?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:11 AM »
Wow, those look sooooo delicious!  And tender!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2012, 01:10:47 AM »
Thank you Craig!  I was very happy with the results tonight.  I have been consistently getting the texture and how the pie "eats" over the past couple of months.  It has been very light and tender and does not get tough at all even after it cools.  The look of the pie has been on and off so my latest efforts have been geared towards the aesthetics of the pie where I was trying to get rid of the large bubbles as well as trying to achieve the smaller leoparding with a brownish background around the crust.  I guess part of that could be attributed to the change I made with the fermentation method.  I have been enjoying the results I get with the short bulk/long ball method.  I was able to get rid of the large bubbles although I am sure one can get the same results if done properly with the long bulk/short ball method.   I just haven't given it enough time yet.  

Also, I have been practicing a lot in managing the oven and improving on my skills and I would have to say that I have seen significant improvement in this aspect during the past 5 months.  I feel like I have finally figured out my oven so the bake times have been great.  

Finally, the stretching method has also changed since now, I am quite comfortable doing the slap technique unlike before.  I have always thought that I have been working the dough balls too much during the stretch but with the slap technique, I can open the skins very quickly.

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »
Wow, those look sooooo delicious!  And tender!

Thank you Robyn!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
I baked these tonight. . . .

Illustrious result!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »
Thank you very much Omid!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
marlon, can you go over your 2 percent poolish. how much yeast is in that, and how long did you proof the poolish. you pies are as the other said works of art.
 one more quwstion on your oven you mentioned you raised he floor.how did you do it ? also, what is you new inside doom height?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
Larry, thank you!  I made the poolish with 0.1% fresh yeast at 100% hydration.  I left it at room temp for about 12 hours before using it.  It was very active and at its peak when I used it in my dough.  I am actually maintaining it like a starter by feeding it once a day at room temperature.  When I tasted it, it was already developing some slight acidic notes to it but you can still very much detect the yeast flavor and you know its different from a regular starter.  This is part of the experiment I am doing with Chau, et al. to see what happens to 2 poolish and/or starters if one is kept at room temp and the other in the refrigerator. 

I didn't raise the oven floor.  My oven is homemade from firebricks and the height at the dome from the center is at 15.5", inside diameter is at 40". 

Marlon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I have been enjoying the results I get with the short bulk/long ball method.  

I've been moving in this direction too. Intuitively, it seems right to me.

CL
Pizza is not bread.