Author Topic: Finally some NP pies  (Read 18282 times)

Offline PizzaKatz

Re: Finally some NP pies
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »

Direct vs indirect fermentation is very intriguing .

Todd

What is the difference between a direct vs an indirect fermentation?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2012, 04:17:38 AM »
PizzaKatz, it seems that there are varying interpretations (although very much related) about direct and indirect method.  Direct method is the addition of all the dough ingredients (flour, water, salt and yeast) and mixing them together to form the dough mass whereas the indirect method employs the use of preferments (poolish, biga, leaven, etc.) before adding it to the final dough ingredients. 

In pizza making, there seems to be a slight variation in interpretation.  Direct method is referred to an initial short bulk fermentation or rest period before forming the dough balls and letting them ferment for a longer period of time until ready.  Indirect method is also referred to as double fermentation where the entire dough mass is allowed to ferment for a longer period of time before forming into dough balls for the final rise.

I have discussed this with Omid in his thread here - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg176044/topicseen.html#msg176044 in reply #1357 where he transcribed the video of Mr. Robert Caporuscio talking about direct and indirect method  if you want further reading. 

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Tonight's bake:

100% CM 00
65% Water
0.2% Fresh yeast
2.8% Salt

10-hr dough.  Hand mixed/kneaded with S&F.  2-hr bulk, 8-hr ball.  Texture and flavor is excellent.  Baked at 825F for 70-80 secs. 

Some pics (clockwise from bottom left - 1st picture):

1)  Wild boar salami, guanciale, bacon, onion, fresh mozzarella
2)  Margherita
3)  Smoked pepperoni, dry mozzarella, tomato
4)  Same as #1
5)  Pesto, guanciale, bacon, fresh mozzarella
6)  Leftovers (whatever was left in my toppings - guanciale, pepperoni, etc.)

Marlon

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
Every time you post, I just stare and stare at your frekin' gorgeous pies. It still boggles my mind how you can get 5 or 6 of those pies out of your oven without anyone touching them. Good luck with that if you ever invite me over. I can't say that any one sounds better than another, but the triple porker certainly has my attention...

Cheers!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Thanks Craig!  :-D  I made 12 pies and the first 6 were eaten right away so the last 6 pies were the ones in the pictorial.  The "3 little pigs" pie is my current favorite.  You can taste 3 distinct flavors from each style of pork.  Amazing.  I usually put a little bit of castelvetrano olives or any olives but I ran out today. 

Marlon

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
Gorgeous pizzas AND a loaf of bread that I would give a lot to taste!  That is a spread worthy of royalty. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
Thank you Robyn!  If you lived close by, I will give you several loaves of bread.   :)  I have been practicing my bread in the WFO since yesterday because we will be having a Renegade Bake Sale this Sunday in LA in support of the proposed Cottage Food Law in California so I need to bake a lot of bread.  I'm part of the LA Bread Bakers group who is leading this drive to pass the Homemade Food Act in CA.  So far, the Assembly Health Committee approved the proposal but still a long way to go. 

Marlon

Offline Matthew

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
Nice job Marlon. 

Matt

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »
Very nice, indeed! :D

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
Marlon  BRAVO

What is the Homemade Food Act? 

Scot

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
Thank you Matt, Steve, Scot! 

Scot, the Homemade Food Act will allow homemade food products (non-hazardous like bread, jams, etc.) to be sold to the public without the expense of setting up or renting a commercial kitchen.  This has been passed in more than 30 states and CA has been the hardest to convince especially when it comes to health and sanitation standards.  This has been the most promising though since the Assembly Health Committee voted 14-0 in favor of the proposal last week.  So it will move forward. 

Marlon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
Marlon,

Great job!  Those are some delicious looking pies.  ;D They all look like masterpieces.  :pizza:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »
Thank you very much, Norma! 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »

Scot, the Homemade Food Act will allow homemade food products (non-hazardous like bread, jams, etc.) to be sold to the public without the expense of setting up or renting a commercial kitchen.  This has been passed in more than 30 states and CA has been the hardest to convince especially when it comes to health and sanitation standards.  This has been the most promising though since the Assembly Health Committee voted 14-0 in favor of the proposal last week.  So it will move forward. 

Marlon

I'd buy your pies!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

Marlon
Wow really. I did a quick search and only found a couple things that were only in Cali. Do you know the other states this is going on in?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »
I'd buy your pies!

Thank you Craig!  The feeling is mutual! I will pay anything to try your pies!  :D

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »
Wow really. I did a quick search and only found a couple things that were only in Cali. Do you know the other states this is going on in?

I will find the list when I get home and post it here.

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Here is the link for the list of states with Cottage Food Law in place - http://homebasedbaking.com/knowledgebase/rules-regulations/cottage-food-law-states/

Marlon

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
Tons of it here in Texas. Some really good products come out of people's homes.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2012, 05:43:53 AM »
It's been a while since I posted pics but here are my latest pies.  The first 4 pics were from my usual NP dough although this time using a  long bulk method - 24 hrs bulk fermentation at 60-65F, 18 hrs balled (8 hrs at 65-70F and 10 hrs at 75-80F).  The dough balls were in the last stages of their lives but still workable.  For some reason, I always get distracted doing something and my dough balls always reach this stage when I get ready to bake them.  However, I love the resulting texture and flavor (not sour at all) from this level of fermentation/maturation which is almost at the stage where the dough balls look blown up and disintegrating when being stretched.  You have to take extra steps and be extremely delicate during stretching but it is worth it, at least for me.  These were baked at 825F for around 70 secs. 

100% Caputo
60% Water
1.5% Starter
2.8% Salt

1)  Fennel sausage, wild boar salami, fresh mozzarella, fennel pollen
2)  Craig's mushroom pie but I used fior di latte instead of bufala mozz
3)  Duck salami, mushroom, hot honey (honey with calabrian chilies)

The last 4 pics were from a different batch of dough using cold fermentation, Central Milling flour, and cake yeast.  The resulting pies were designed to be closer to Chris Bianco's style.  These were cold fermented (bulk) for 2 days, taken out from the refrigerator for about 2 hrs, then balled, and let rise until ready.  I used them 3 hrs after balling (I could still let the balls go for another 6 hrs or more and it should still be good).  The dough was definitely stronger and had larger bubbles compared to my NP dough (although I used these dough balls at a much younger stage).  It was still very easy to stretch.  The crust came out darker even with a lower bake temp.  It had a slight crunch/crispiness around the crust's exterior but the interior and the overall texture was still very tender and soft but different from the NP dough.  Flavor is also very good although I personally prefer the flavor from the starter dough. 

40% CM 00
30% CM ABC unmalted
30% CM AP flour
65% Water
0.8% Fresh yeast
2.5% Salt

Baked at around 740F for about 2-2.5 mins. 

1)  Margherita with basil put on post bake
2)  Fennel sausage, mushroom, pepperoni, red onion, fresh and dry mozzarella
3)  Shrimp, garlic, calabrian chili oil

Marlon

pizzapan