Author Topic: Finally some NP pies  (Read 16845 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: Finally some NP pies
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
Marlon, if you would be so kind, please tell us all the toping combinations on your February 10th post and your post today.

Thank you.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
Awesome!!!!

Do you maintain your starter at RT always?  If so,  that is a PITA. 

Thanks for the details.   :chef:

Scot

Yes, it has always been at RT. 

Craig, here are the toppings:

Feb 10 (1st pic from bottom going clockwise)

1)  Caramelized onion, red onion with black chili oil, green onion
2)  Margherita
3)  Bacon, caramelized onion, mozz
4)  Parma cotto, pineapple, red onion, pickled jalapeno
5)  Speck, pineapple, red onion, pickled jalapeno
6)  Guanciale, red onion, chili, tomato

Last night (from bottom going up)

1)  Maitake mushrooms, provolone/pecorino mix, black pepper
2)  Guanciale, piennolo tomatoes, red onion, mozz, chili flakes
3)  Parma cotto, gruyere, caramelized onion
4)  Smoked pepperoni, coteghino, tomato, chili
5)  Nueske ham, gruyere, caramelized onion
6)  Margherita
7)  Bacon, Creme fraiche, sweet onion, chives

Marlon

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Those pies from last night sound incredible. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail???  :-D

I love everything Neuske makes.

Did you precook the coteghino?

What is black chili oil?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Thanks Craig!  You guys have an open invitation. We need help eating the pies.  :-D

I love Nueske's as well.  Probably one of my favorite ham.  I have yet to try Benton's ham since they have a 4-wk waiting period for their orders.  I have heard good things about them as well. 

After slicing them thin like the pepperoni, I fried the coteghino in bacon fat for a few mins to give it a headstart and get it crispy once it's baked in the oven. 

I just made the black chili oil using dried ancho, chipotle, and guajillo chiles.  I just charred them in the oven for a few mins until it was filled with steam inside and hard on the outside.  Pureed in the blender/food processor with garlic, lime, sugar, salt, and grapeseed oil.  I love using it with any meat, etc. 

Marlon

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
your pizzas look wonderful.when you use a/p flour do you find you have to over proof it to get it to cook at high temperatures?

your topping combinations are very inventive,going to make the black chili oil this week.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »
Thank you Larry!  I would not say that the AP flour dough was overproofed when I baked it last time.  It performed quite well, IMO.  I made it side by side with San Felice and used the exact same workflow and proofing times.  It felt very similar to the San Felice and was also very easy to open.  I am not sure how it will perform if I add an extra couple of hours with the proofing time.  I will try it next time.  I usually use the AP flour just for practice. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 02:05:19 AM »
for me there was less difference in the finished pizza if the a/p dough proofed an extra day.

Offline dimitrios

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Hello bakeshack, amazing looking pizzas, making me hungry looking at it. Very professional.
Also interesting about bulk and ball rising, how that can make a difference. I never really paid attention. I always made dough balls straight out of the mixer.

A question. I have the Ischia starter at room temperature. I almost feed it every day with flour and water. The yellowish water, do you throw that away each day? Or do you stir that back in?
Also when you feed with flour and water, do you stirr that all in as well or leave the culture do it's thing?
Thanks. I haven't used mine yet, that's why ask. I was actually looking for a recipe with a starter and found yours.
I am after the Da Michele pizza :-)

Thank you Larry!  I would not say that the AP flour dough was overproofed when I baked it last time.  It performed quite well, IMO.  I made it side by side with San Felice and used the exact same workflow and proofing times.  It felt very similar to the San Felice and was also very easy to open.  I am not sure how it will perform if I add an extra couple of hours with the proofing time.  I will try it next time.  I usually use the AP flour just for practice. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
Thanks dimitrios!  I appreciate it. 

Regarding the starter, how long have you had the starter active and how long have you been on this daily feeding schedule?  You should not have any water/liquid or hooch, as we call it, on top of the culture unless you have left it out without feeding for a couple of days.  You should just stir it back into the culture.  Also, during feeding, you should thoroughly mix the flour and water into the culture after discarding at least 50% (I usually discard 80% during feeding).  You're not developing any gluten but you don't want any dry bits of flour into the mixture. 

If you are leaving your starter at room temp, you should not leave it out without feeding for more than 24 hours.  I would suggest that you put it in the fridge if you think that you will not be able to feed it regularly.  For me, I have developed this routine into my daily schedule unless I am going on a long trip.   I just leave it in the fridge when I am away. 

Good luck and I hope to see some pictures of your work here in this forum. 

Marlon

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 05:12:01 AM »
Here are some pics. . . .

Amazing, thank you for the pictures!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:24 AM »
Some pics from tonight's bake:

100% Caputo
59% Water
4% Culture
2.5% Salt

2 hrs bulk + 28 hrs balled @ 68-72F

Baked for 60 secs @ 850F.  I am liking the direct method since it gives me the smaller leoparding that I am looking for without the large burnt bubbles although I will revisit the long bulk method next time.  Also, the dough is just super easy to open. 

From bottom going up:

1)  Margherita
2)  Margherita with roasted eggplant, red peppers, cipollini onions
3)  Bacon
4)  Smoked pepperoni
5)  Cremini, white, king oyster mushroom, aged cheddar, pecorino

Marlon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:31 AM »
Nice job Marlon.  I am curiously watching for your conclusion on short vs long bulk.  Crumb looks fantastic.  How did these pies eat in comparison to the previous batches? Any big differences?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Chau, thank you!  I am leaning towards the short bulk/direct method since I feel I get more consistency right now with my dough using that method.  The pies from both methods eat very similar though with regards to tenderness, etc.  You couldn't really tell the difference unless you look at them. I think I can also achieve the same results using the long bulk but you just have to manage it differently I guess.  During hot weather, the short bulk will definitely help since it slows down the yeast activity in the dough and gives you some control over it.

I will be doing a long bulk method next time I make pizza, which is probably in a few days.  :-D

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
Excellent Marlon - I love the gently leoparding. One of my goals this coming season is to get micro leoparding.

John
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:04:23 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
Thanks John!  Do you prefer the smaller leoparding around the cornicione?  I just noticed that a lot of the neapolitan pizzerias in the US have the extreme look of leoparding around sometimes even bordering on burnt even to my taste.  I still love it and I think it looks more stunning if you have the extreme leoparding all the way around but I just like the smaller leoparding and more even browning around the crust right now.

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
Do you prefer the smaller leoparding around the cornicione?

I think I just like the challenge of it. I think it is much easier to achieve the huge, overly charred spots, but the delicacy of gently leoparding takes great skill and attention to detail. Chau recently showed a YouTube video of a Da Michele clone that still lingers in my mind as one of the nicest examples. Omid has very nice examples as well.

John

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
Some pics from tonight's bake. . . .

Dear Marlon, you are making solemn pizzas here, that is, pizzas characterized by earnest effort and outburst of passion! Thank you for the pictures. Good night!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »
Dear Marlon, you are making solemn pizzas here, that is, pizzas characterized by earnest effort and outburst of passion! Thank you for the pictures. Good night!

Omid, thank you very much for the kind words!  I appreciate it. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
I agree. You are baking exemplary pies. They should be an inspiration for all of us.

I am a bit concerned however. Are you baking 5 pies at a time (if so, then I'm REALLY impressed)? If not, I'm concerned that your family and or guests are not getting your brautiful pies at the peak of their quality.   :'(

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »
Craig, thank you very much! You and Omid have been my inspirations actually from the start!  I learned a lot from everyone here during the past few months.

I have been baking 3 pies at a time trying to practice my technique so the first batch gets eaten right away by my family.  I usually take the pictures of the last batches of pies when everyone has already eaten although these also get eaten anyway after the pictorial.  :-D  I usually make 12 dough balls so I get enough to somehow work on my technique and experiment with toppings. 

I agree with you 100% on the pizza being eaten right out of the oven while at its peak is really sublime.  The balance of textures and flavor is very addicting and I keep thinking about it everyday.  It's crazy.  :-D

Marlon