Author Topic: Finally some NP pies  (Read 16941 times)

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
Re: Finally some NP pies
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 04:20:59 AM »
Tonight's Bake. . . .

Nice pizzas and photography . . . thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 06:43:01 AM »
They look like everything a Neapolitan pie should possess. I love the airiness. I can't believe you were able to fend off people to get a multi pie shot!

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »
Very nice Marlon!  Congrats!

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »
The dough was very easy to work with.  The flavor was spot on, overall texture was very tender even when cold, the crust was very light and airy, not chewy.

1) Margherita
2) Guanciale, red onion, chili flakes
3) Guanciale, brussel sprouts
4) Wild boar bacon, red onion
5) Guanciale, black truffle cream, mushroom, basil

Hi Bakeshack,

You pies look great! I have a few questions, and would really appreciate a reply from you:

1. Do the Brussels Sprouts taste bitter with the char? Are the leaves moistened with water or coated with oil before you dress the pizza?
2. Would you care to share your recipe for black truffle cream?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »
Outstanding Marlon! Wow, those really look awesome and delicious.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
1. Do the Brussels Sprouts taste bitter with the char? Are the leaves moistened with water or coated with oil before you dress the pizza?

Barry,

Brussels sprouts are awesome on a pie. I've been using them for some time at home and love them. You don't need to moisten them. Just core them out and peel off the outer leaves. Place them on the pie whole, or if they are really big, maybe tear them in half. I usually put a swirl of evoo on the pie before baking. The char on the sprouts is a critical part of the pie. It's not "bitter" at all in the bad sense (assuming you burn them to a crisp anyway). Rather there is a little bitterness that in a very good way balances out the richness of the cheese. There is no tomato sauce, so there is really no acid on the pie to do this. Cooked perfectly, like Marlon's are, they also add a subtle smokiness that is just awesome.

I've been doing the pie with applewood smoked bacon, but the Brussels sprout pie I had at Motorino this week with pancetta was incredible. Next time I'm suing pancetta for sure, though I bet guanciale is great too.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
Marlon

How many pies do you cook at once?  I'm with John on the multi pie shots, I don't know how you keep from eating a bite before you start the next pie ;D

Scot

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
Thank you everyone for the kind words!  I get inspired by you guys all the time.

I baked 2 pies at a time so I was able to finish the 5 pies in about 8-10 mins. It was crazy because it was just me, my wife and my brother.  My 4-yr old, actually, ate the 1st pie so it was not in the picture.  It was a ham & cheese pie (smoked ham, gruyere, mozzarella). 

Barry, the black truffle cream was made with canned black truffles, truffle oil, black truffle juice (from the can) pulsed in a food processor.  You can also buy the cream bottled already.  I just made mine with some leftovers from the can. 

I totally agree with Craig on the Brussels sprouts.  I did not dress them with oil.  It imparts a certain smokiness as well.

Marlon

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 03:12:52 AM »
Hi Marlon and CL.

Thank you for your replies to my questions - much appreciated!

I am going to attempt the Brussels Sprout & Pancetta pie this week end. I am also attempting a pie with a "truffle" spread with mushrooms and prosciutto.The "truffle" spread will be made of chick peas blended with truffle oil, truffle salt and cream. Hope it works!

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »
So with all the talk about the home oven NP pies, I decided to give it a try last night once again.  Dough was mixed as follows:

San Felice STG 100%
Water 61%
Culture 2%
Salt 2.8%

Flour, water, and culture mixed, autolyse for 25 mins, added the salt after autolyse.  S&F (about 3 full turns), rest for 10 mins, 2 more S & F session with 10 mins rest in between.  Bulk ferment 24 hrs, balled, final rise 24 hrs. 

I made a 2nd batch (while 1st batch was on autolyse), same method, bulk ferment for 2 hrs, balled, final rise 48 hrs and will be baked tonight. 

The 1st batch fermented much faster compared to the 2nd batch as shown in the pics below (1st batch on top of the picture).

The oven was preheated for 1 hr at max temp, stone was 6 inches away from broiler and at 560F during this time.  I inserted the probe blanket and ran the broiler for 25 mins.  The stone came up to temp of 790F before I started baking.  Bake time was about 70-80 secs with the broiler running the whole time.  I did 2-3 turns before I pulled out the pie.  I was quite happy with the texture and color, very similar to my pies baked in the WFO. 

1)  Clam pie - Fresh manila clams, preserved meyer lemon, reduced juice from the clam, white wine, butter, creme fraiche, parsley, chili oil for drizzling
2)  VT smoked pepperoni, black olives.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »
Two outstanding pies - I love the toppings. Pretty amazing that they came from a home oven. I am also surprised to see that much of a difference in fermentation volume just from reducing the bulk time.

John

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
Beautiful pies! I love the great leoparding, especially considering they baked in your home oven.  Thanks for posting your formula and workflow.

A few questions if you don't mind: What type of material is your probe blanket made out of?  Is your broiler an electric element? What thickness factor did you use?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:27:20 PM by johnamus »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
Beautiful. I'd love to try that clam pie - well, both actually, but especially the clam pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline salvatoregianpaolo

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
Marlon,

I'd love to see a picture of your setup.  That's pretty incredible to get that high a temperature from the broiler, especially from a distance of 6".  I've always known my broiler to be weak, but holy cow, that thing you have is a beast!  What make is your oven, and what type of stone are you using?

Grazie,
Salvatore

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
Nice Job Marlon.  Let us know which pies and from which batch of dough you preferred and why.   I predict batch A made the better pies. 

Thanks,
Chau

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words!  The clam pie is a new favorite.  I love it.  I have to admit that the oven got really hot (scary hot ???) so I'm not sure if I want to do that again.   ;D  I usually get it up to 700F only on the stone.  I tried to heat longer and I got 790F on the stone. 

I have an electric Thermador double oven but I used the bottom oven for easier access.  The stone is a 1/2 inch 14x16 stone from Williams Sonoma.  It's not the best but works for me especially with breads. 

I was also quite surprised with the elevated fermentation on the 1st batch.  I'm thinking the 2nd batch method would work very well during hot weather.  I remember I had quite a few problems with my dough last summer.

Here is a pic of the broiler and the stone as well as the homemade probe.  I got the idea on the probe from previous thread as well.  However, I could not locate the thread where I saw this done by one of the members.

I will provide some updates on the difference in quality as soon as I bake the 2nd batch later tonight.

Marlon

Offline salvatoregianpaolo

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
I knew electric broilers were more powerful than gas, but the difference is remarkable!  My broiler can't even come close to that, and I've had the stone stituated less than 2" from the element.  Fantastic.

Sognando di un nuovo forno,
Salvatore

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
That's a serious broiler, 10 pass 3500 watts :o?  <jealous>

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 03:53:32 AM »
So with all the talk about the home oven NP pies, I decided to give it a try last night once again.  Dough was mixed as follows. . . .

Great results, thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 02:25:15 AM »
So, tonight I wanted to test my skills by trying to bake 3 pies at a time.  I preheated the oven for 4 hrs and got the temp up to 925F on the oven floor.  I removed as much coals as I could to create more room and kept the fire going so the flames were covering at least 2/3 of the dome. 

I did a 64% HD dough, 2% culture, 2.8% salt using San Felice STG - 19 hrs bulk / 8 hrs balled at 65F.  I figured the higher hydration would give me some time inside the oven just in case I encounter some issues during the bake and loading.  Bake times were between 50-60 secs max.  I was able to finish the 6 pies in less than 15 mins.  I got a little sloppy on the opening of the dough and it was quite stressful loading the pies and wondering if the 1st pie was burning already but, somehow, I managed not to burn them.    :-D

The 64% dough turned out to be not as tender as my 60% (just like what Craig found out last week or so).  There was a little bit of chew to the cornicione unlike my previous pies at 60%, which were completely tender with a very slight crisp on the outside.  With the shorter bake times, I assumed that the dough will be much tender/softer but that was not the case tonight.  The outer shell on the cornicione which normally has a very slight crisp on my 60% right out of the oven, turned out a little bit on the tough side (not leathery tough).  I'm not sure why but I'm thinking the shorter bake time, higher hydration, and also the shorter bulk fermentation led to this.  Next time, I will try to do this with my 60% dough and see if I get a different result.

Here are some pics from tonight. 

Marlon