Author Topic: Oil  (Read 1271 times)

Offline tdub154420

Oil
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:15:57 AM »
So from what I have read I understand that oil is essential in dough for allowing the flour's gluten to stretch, but that's about all that I know.  I understand that A LOT of pizza dough recipes include Olive Oil, which cooks at low temperature with a lot of rich taste.  From the pizzas that I've made i've used Extra Virgin Olive Oil and cooked NY style pizzas.  The pizzas have gained compliments with everyone saying they taste "Authentically Italian."  I think this opinion is mostly due to the fact that I'm using EV Olive Oil in the dough and as a quick coat on the crust.   I like the taste, but I'm not in love with it and I want to stray from its "Italian" flavor.  I've searched a lot of recipes and seen almost all call for Olive Oil, so I was wondering, why not other oil?  The Deep Dish pizzas on here call for butter or vegetable oil....but what about the more exotic oils?  And how would butter or vegetable oil work in a NY Pizza?  Olive Oil I think is the only one that cooks as fast as it does, but at 550 F on a Pizza Stone does the cooking temp of an Oil matter? 
- Trevor

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »
ive always liked using peanut or refined coconut oil (pricey though), but i've used dirt cheap cheapo veggie oil with a noticeably softer crumb.  guess soybean does that for ya
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:31:22 AM »
So does the peanut and coconut oil yield a pretty different taste?  What does it do for the texture?
- Trevor

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
That's a good question.I think maybe it is for the flavor more than anything.I prefer the Italian style flavor I get with it,it matches the pizza better.

Since you want to stray from that,go ahead and try some other oils.I have used veg oil in the dough a while back and have not noticed anything much different from using OO. I only used it because I had run out of OO and had veg oil on hand so I just used that.
 8)

-Bill

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »
Italians don't use oil in dough, that is what's authentic Italian!  :D
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."

Offline Crider

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:16:08 PM »
Agree. I never use oil in the dough, and it isn't essential at all. I simply treat olive oil as a liquid food topping and drizzle a little bit on the pizza before I slidit into the oven.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:50 AM »
Agree. I never use oil in the dough, and it isn't essential at all. I simply treat olive oil as a liquid food topping and drizzle a little bit on the pizza before I slidit into the oven.

Italians don't use oil in dough, that is what's authentic Italian!  :D

While I agree,there is not much need for oil in pizza dough,you folks are not helping the OP questions by simply saying you don't use it,or its not Italian to do so.Pizza making is not dogmatic,where only one way of making dough is correct.

I make doughs with or without oil.Depends on the pie I want to make.That said,a Pizza Shop in NY,that I grew up with,used oil,sugar, in their doughs,and it was owned/run by Italians.

That same NY Pizza shop,also sold Spicy Jamaican Beef patties,to please their customer base,yet no one working there was Jamaican.

-Bill

pizzapan