Author Topic: Best pizza stone?  (Read 5076 times)

Online scott123

Re: Best pizza stone?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
Don, are the two plates relatively flat?  A while back I was brainstorming the idea of a food safe/temperature stable thermal compound to put between two steel plates and graphite came to mind.  Something like the softest pencil lead.

buceriasdon

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Scott, Gene has spoken about how shearing plate can leave a sharp edge, which is true, as well leaving the upper surface near all the edges curved down or for lack of a better word, compressed. Holding the two plates I have together all around the circumference one can see a gap of 1/16 of an inch depending on which way the plates are held together. If I hold together what would have be the bottom surface there is very little if any gap. Other cutting methods don't create this edge compression and leave the plate more flat. I have wondered about graphite in a form like this:     http://www.graphitestore.com/itemDetails.asp/promo/tpc/item_id/584/cat_id/22/prd_id/14
Don

Don, are the two plates relatively flat?  A while back I was brainstorming the idea of a food safe/temperature stable thermal compound to put between two steel plates and graphite came to mind.  Something like the softest pencil lead.

Offline JordyLordy

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
If your second pizza isn't as crisp as the first, you are either not getting your pizza stone hot enough or it's just not a good stone.  I have a set of something called the Dough-Joe that cooks pizza as well as any pizzeria, but the downside is it comes in four small pieces instead of one.  The company said it helps to avoid broken stones which I guess makes sense and it doesn't really slide around much on my oven shelf.  I preheat it to 550 and let it sit for 30 minutes after the oven reaches temp.  Wow do I get great crust.  They're 3/4 inch x 6 x 9 stones and have raked bottoms.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Scott, Gene has spoken about how shearing plate can leave a sharp edge...
Don

If I have two 1/4" plates that are warped and I want to put them together, I would drill a hole in the center of one of the plates.  Put the two cupped sides together ( ), smash it in a vise || and weld them together.  I realize that this may not apply to everyone, but that is how I'd do it.   ;)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online scott123

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
Gene, nice use of punctuation marks  ;D

buceriasdon

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
lol scott  :D

pizzapan