Author Topic: A Tale of Two Cracker-Style Pizzas  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Mad_Ernie

A Tale of Two Cracker-Style Pizzas
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »
I have been working on developing a new cracker-style recipe lately and I think I have reached an end point.  My goal was to create a kind of generic dough that would be reminiscent of a Midwestern or Chicago thin-style crust. 

Recently I made two pizzas using the same recipe, but with one pizza I used King Arthur all-purpose flour and the second pizza I used Gold Medal Better for Bread flour.  Other than the flours, the only other difference was the toppings.  For the first pizza (KAAP), I used local Italian sausage (Scimeca’s) and fresh mushrooms.  For the second pizza, I made a Hawaiian with ham and pineapple chucks, but since I had plenty of mushrooms left over, I added the remainder to this pizza, as well.

The dough recipe for this pizza makes 1 – 14” pizza, 0.075” thickness, 4% bowel residue and is as follows:

Flour (100%):    218.77 g  |  7.72 oz | 0.48 lbs
Water (44%):    96.26 g  |  3.4 oz | 0.21 lbs
IDY (1.5%):    3.28 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.09 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
Salt (1.5%):       3.28 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.68 tsp | 0.23 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (1.8%):  3.94 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
Sugar (1.4%):    3.06 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.77 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
Baker's Non-Fat Dry Milk (2.5%):  5.47 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.4 tsp | 0.47 tbsp
Dough Relaxer (1.8%):    3.94 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.76 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
Dough Conditioner (1.1%):  2.41 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.02 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Total (155.6%):   340.4 g | 12.01 oz | 0.75 lbs | TF = 0.078

The dough ingredients were mixed in a Cuisinart food processor.  The balls were then stored in former commericial bread loaf plastic bags in the fridge.  Some folks may say that 44% hydration is border-line at best for a true cracker-style crust.  I won’t argue the point, but given where I was headed with this pizza, I thought it belonged more to the cracker-style than the American style forum.

For the sauce, I mixed equal parts of Hunt’s tomato sauce (unsalted), Prego regular pasta sauce, and Bonta Pizza Sauce (with basil).  I then added a couple teaspoons of Penzy’s pizza seasoning to the tomato mixture.  Mixed and done.

For cheese, I use a blend of skim-milk mozzarella, sharp cheddar cheese, and provolone in a 80:10:10 mixture.

I allowed the dough balls to sit in the refrigerator for approximately 5 days before I took them out and allowed them to come to room temperature.  I then rolled them out on a pastry board using a rolling pin, then cut them to the 14” size, placed them on a wooden peel, and docked them.  Next came the sauce, cheese blend, and toppings.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: A Tale of Two Cracker-Style Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
For cooking the pies, I used my 2stone grill device.  The cook time varies, depending on the amount of time you allow to heat the 2stone, but I would say these pizzas each took 6-8 minutes on this particular evening.

The results you can see for yourself.

I didn’t really notice a difference between the two flours in terms of how the crusts came out.  I was pleased with the final product in both cases.  In fact, overall, this was a winner-winner pizza dinner for my family and me.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
Mad Ernie, they look spendid. Thanks for the bakers percents and workflow, I love cracker crust. :chef:

Were you able to source the dough conditioner and the dough relaxer locally?  Do they make a huge difference in your opinion? 

Do you have any idea about what temperature they were cooked at ?

Thanks in advance ME.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »
Mad Ernie, they look spendid. Thanks for the bakers percents and workflow, I love cracker crust. :chef:

Were you able to source the dough conditioner and the dough relaxer locally?  Do they make a huge difference in your opinion? 

Do you have any idea about what temperature they were cooked at ?

Thanks in advance ME.

Jet:

Thanks for your comments and compliment.   :)

The dough relaxer and conditioner came from The Prepared Pantry.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/dough-enhancer-conditioner-relaxer.aspx

http://www.preparedpantry.com/premium-dough-conditioner.aspx

I don't think they make a huge difference, but they do make some difference.  I think especially for these doughs that have a lower hydration, they make the doughs a little easier to work with for the process of hand rolling them.  If you had a true sheeter, I don't know that those extra ingredients would make any noticeable difference.  But, chain pizzerias (and even some independents) use them, and so if you want to re-create that experience ...

Based on temperature readings I have taken in the past, I would say the bottom stone (Fibrament) was probably around 675-700 degrees F.  One thing I have noticed with the 2stone is the bottom stone does tend to cook the crust quicker than the top of the pizza, so as you might tell from my pictures, there was a little more carbonization on the outer rim than I would prefer, but it was necessary in order to make sure the toppings were well cooked and the cheese was melted to my liking.  If I tried to go for more cooking of the cheese, it would have burned the pizza.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »

Mad_Ernie,

Your cracker-style pizza look great!   :)  I still haven't mastered a cracker-style pizza.

Kudos to you!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:08 PM »
Mad_Ernie,

Your cracker-style pizza look great!   :)  I still haven't mastered a cracker-style pizza.

Kudos to you!  :chef:

Norma

Thanks, Norma  :D

Wait until you see my next Round Table Pizza clone.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
....  One thing I have noticed with the 2stone is the bottom stone does tend to cook the crust quicker than the top of the pizza, so as you might tell from my pictures, there was a little more carbonization on the outer rim than I would prefer,....  -ME

I did notice the artisan browning of the outer rim, which is missing from todays cracker crust pizzas available to the mass public. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends