Author Topic: Anyone ever try ADM flours?  (Read 3604 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Anyone ever try ADM flours?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
FeChef, from what I can tell, you're making NY pizza.  I'm not sure where you got your recipe from, but the fermentation is not a NY style approach. NY style is single rise, never punch downed/reballed.  Coming from a bread background, I started off pretty punch down happy myself, but I eventually learned that punch downs aren't really bringing anything to the table for pizza.  Some forum members who like to go with wetter doughs will toss in a stretch and fold or two along the way, your dough is not very wet.

Combined with the gluten forming autolyse, 10 minutes of 2-3 speed kneading is too much.  Since you're going with a very short ferment, you can knead until the dough is fairly smooth, but I think, with an autolyse, you should be seeing smooth dough as early as the 5 minute mark.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
FeChef, from what I can tell, you're making NY pizza.  I'm not sure where you got your recipe from, but the fermentation is not a NY style approach. NY style is single rise, never punch downed/reballed.  Coming from a bread background, I started off pretty punch down happy myself, but I eventually learned that punch downs aren't really bringing anything to the table for pizza.  Some forum members who like to go with wetter doughs will toss in a stretch and fold or two along the way, your dough is not very wet.

Combined with the gluten forming autolyse, 10 minutes of 2-3 speed kneading is too much.  Since you're going with a very short ferment, you can knead until the dough is fairly smooth, but I think, with an autolyse, you should be seeing smooth dough as early as the 5 minute mark.

I realize i said i punch down but i dont. What i do is remove from container and fold it twice then form the ball again. Only reason i do this is because it rises pretty fast and i want a longer rise especially if i cold ferment the preferment. Sometimes i do a overnight preferment and somes just a room temp 4 hour preferment. About the kneading, I started off with 5 minute autolyse and 5 minute knead, but it was tearing even then, so i kneaded for another 5 minutes for a total of 10 minutes and it was still tearing so i left it go and just figured it was because it felt too dry.

I know my method isnt standard approach to a NY style pizza but I have very bad luck with long cold ferments because my fridge is too cold and i dont get much rise. But if i room temp preferment, or cold preferment and let set out for 4 hours to bring up to room temp then make the dough and let rise for another 3 -4 hours i get good rise and good flavor. I just dont know any other way around this with such bad results with your basic long cold rise dough.

Offline Chet

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 01:13:27 AM »
HI FreChef

Pies look good, what temps are you baking at, are you using a preheated stone, they look like they were baked at a lower temp and possibly too long. I am curious.

Chet

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
HI FreChef

Pies look good, what temps are you baking at, are you using a preheated stone, they look like they were baked at a lower temp and possibly too long. I am curious.

Chet

Yes im using a 16" cordierite pizza stone preheated to 650-700F for roughly an hour or till stone reached 650F on IR thermometer. Pie then baked for 3 minutes.

Offline Chet

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »
  HI FeChef

That ought to do, good temps

Chet

PS did you post your recipe for the NY Style dough

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
  HI FeChef

That ought to do, good temps

Chet

PS did you post your recipe for the NY Style dough

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (1.35%):
Salt (1.5%):
Honey (5%):
Total (170.85%):
333.63 g  |  11.77 oz | 0.74 lbs
210.19 g  |  7.41 oz | 0.46 lbs
4.5 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
5 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.9 tsp | 0.3 tbsp
16.68 g | 0.59 oz | 0.04 lbs | 2.39 tsp | 0.8 tbsp
570.01 g | 20.11 oz | 1.26 lbs | TF = 0.1

I take all of the water, half the yeast, and half the flour and make a poolish that sits overnight in the fridge then set out in room temp for 4 hours, or just 4 hours same day.Then mix poolish and rest of ingredients in mixer and autolyse for 5 minutes then knead on 2-3 speed for 5 minutes and form a ball and let rise for 2-3 hours. stretch skin out, top it and bake.

But as ive said this was for 63% hydration, but with this commander flour it felt like 56-58% and was hard to work with.

Offline pizzburghr

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »

What about using the ADM Dominator compared to the Commander flour? I am looking at making my
first major flour purpose. We have ADM,KA,and A.T. as choices. Anybody have a choice in mind, and why?
         I will be doing American,N.Y., and thick crust pies as well as cals and stroms.   Dave

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 03:39:52 AM »
   What about using the ADM Dominator compared to the Commander flour? I am looking at making my
first major flour purpose. We have ADM,KA,and A.T. as choices. Anybody have a choice in mind, and why?
         I will be doing American,N.Y., and thick crust pies as well as cals and stroms.   Dave

I read only good things about All Trumps so personally i would go with that, but All Trumps isnt available to me locally so i went with commander. Im still trying to find the sweet spot hydration % , but im getting closer. Seems 330g flour to 214g water works well, but i think i should drop the water down to 212g.

Offline Chet

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »

Today was the first time I made pizza using ADM Commander, made 3 pies using 65% Commander was in the fridge for 2 days, baked on a soap stone at 550 deg. crust was excellent and it stretches wonderful, I though I was that Tony G guy, I use 437gr dough balls. I normally make a 16" pie with the Commander and at the same weight, If I kept stretching I could have went to easily 18" my next batch I am going to make for Christmas I am going to drop the hydration to 64%, when I was weighting and balling the dough to put in the fridge, the was way the dough was balling was good, very smooth. soft. so for the Commander flour , my thoughts are so far so good.

Chet
PS I probably used 7-8 lbs to make bread last week, I made one of my best breads for toast with my coffee.

pizzapan