Author Topic: Need advice on brands of wine  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Need advice on brands of wine
« on: July 13, 2005, 03:57:03 PM »
I'm getting ready to try out the pizza sauce recipe I posted a while back with red wine in it and was wondering if anyone on here can suggest a good wine to use in it?  I was going to try using the same stuff that the pizza place my cousin works at uses (and still may) but according to their website they have something else that they claim would be better (it's Carlo Rossi Burgundy).  The stuff my cousin uses says this on the website "Carlo used to enjoy this wine with Greek Saladóromaine lettuce sprinkled with salty Mediterranean olives, feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. You may also want to try pairing it with a nice antipasto of salami, mortadella, sliced provolone, and melon wraped with prosciutto di Parma."  The burgundy says "Because of its hearty, robust character, Carlo Rossi Burgundy pairs well with a variety of dishes, especially grilled or oven roasted meats. Spicy dishes from South of the Border or rich, red pasta sauces."  ???

As you can tell I know basically nothing when it comes to wine.  I bought a bottle of Inglenook Burgundy and it's nasty.   :-X  Definitely nothing I would drink or use to cook with.  Maybe it would be better in the sauce but they always say to cook with something you'd drink so.......  ???

Anyone have any advice for me?  Thanks a lot.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: Need advice on brands of wine
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 04:06:49 PM »
I forgot to mention that I'm only mentioning that brand because I know I can get it.  I searched on Google for wines that are good with tomato sauce and pizza but most of what came up I don't know if I can get locally. 

And, I just looked at that site again and noticed that their Chianti is supposedly good with pizza.   :-\

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 05:20:15 PM »
Nathan,

I personally wouldn't put any wine that I won't drink into a sauce (pasta or pizza). Except for the expensive wines that I may own, I put just about any red wine into a sauce, including chianti, cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel (red) and merlot. It doesn't really matter. Whatever red wine I am drinking goes into the sauce. I wouldn't spend over $10 a bottle just for the sauce. I would rather buy a bottle I will drink and share it with the sauce, not the other way around. You won't need much in any event.

There are many brands that should suit your purpose. I don't know if you are near a good wine shop, but what I would do in your case if you don't know much about wines is to go to a good wine shop and ask for help in making a selection. Tell them that you are looking for a good-quality red wine that you can drink and enjoy but also use in cooking a tomato-based sauce. And give a price figure that you don't want to exceed. That will help them narrow the field. There should be many possibilities under $10. I would stay away from the "jug" wines (the ones that come in gallon jugs and in smaller sizes) as much as possible since for a few dollars more you can usually get a better drinking wine. I would definitely avoid cooking wines that are sold in supermarkets. I usually don't use burgundies in sauces because the best of them (French) are very expensive. That often means that a cheap bottle will be expensive also for what you get. Even good domestic burgundies are expensive compared with other domestic red wines.

You can't really go wrong with brands like Mondavi, Rosemount (Australian), Ravenswood (cabernet sauvignon or zinfandel). Santa Rita 120 (Spanish), and Kendall Jackson. I drink all of these, plus many more, on a regular basis and wouldn't hesitate to use any of them in sauces. If you mention some of these names to the wine person, that should get you into the ballpark in terms of possible candidates for your sauce. Some of the best values are in Australian wines, Spanish wines, Chilean wines, and French rhones (ask for the cheap ones since there are also some expensive ones). If you are not a serious wine drinker, I would then ask the wine person for a good wine that you want to use primarily for cooking purposes--one that will work well in your sauce but not cost much.

Peter

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 08:31:46 PM »
Hey thanks for the help.  I'm gonna go see if I can find any of the brands you mentioned.  I might get lucky.  There's really no good places around here to buy wine (at least not that I know of).  There used to be but unfortunately they closed.  I'll let you know what I find.

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
If you are lover of good wine, then you might do what we do around here (in "wine country"), and that is save leftover quality wine (which most connoisseurs would toss) for cooking.  Personally, I like a dry white wine better in sauce than reds.  The reds seem to throw off the color of the sauce and be a bit heavy.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 11:06:35 PM »
Well I was able to find Mondavi, Rosemount and some Kendall Jackson.  I really wasn't sure what to buy but since you mentioned cabernet sauvignon I bought some Mondavi cabernet sauvignon.  It's 2001 Private Selection and I paid $11 for it.  I haven't tasted it yet.  Have you had this particular stuff Peter?  If so what do you think of it?

Les, I really don't drink (or too much care for) wine.  I'm a beer drinker.  But the limited stuff I have tried with wine in it I liked (http://tinyurl.com/73moo)  I may try some white next time.  This is turning to a somewhat expensive experiment.   :o

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:34:42 PM »
Nathan,

I don't recall having tried that particular Mondavi, but Mondavi is a good, consistent producer, so it should work out fine for your purposes--cooking and drinking. If you aren't fond of wine you might not find it practical or economical next time to buy a good bottle just to use in one of your sauces.

Peter

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 11:52:45 PM »
Peter,  I just didn't want to use something nasty in it is all.  I don't mind spending the money on the stuff if it's good in the sauce.  I was mainly referring to having to buy a case of Bonta 1.09 puree (#10 cans) to try it out, on top of wasting my money on the first bottle of wine I bought and then another one.  If it's good then great (the sauce).  If not I'll be looking to off a few cans of this (http://tinyurl.com/bjgoa)  As a matter of fact if anyone wants a can let me know.  I paid $5 a can so I'd sell it for that plus the shipping.