Author Topic: portable wood oven project  (Read 3669 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
portable wood oven project
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
 before you all make fun of me ,this is not my project. the mason that built my kettle oven wants to try and produce these little ovens. he took the dimensions that we used and built one using solid flue and a foam mold. he is not done but this is impressive . the only thing i did was have somone build the base 26 inches by four inches with handles. do you think there is a market?

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: portable wood oven project
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
Depending on the cost, I would be interested in buying one.  The only hiccup I can think of is the cost of shipping.  Yes I do think there is a huge market for a less expensive and smaller wfo.

Chau

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
Larry,

That little oven looks very impressive to me!  :) I would think there would be a market for smaller WFO's.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
he is testing it to see if the refractory material that he uses can hold the heat. if not he will insulate it. he is going to dry it out this week. the middle of next week we will cook pizza to see how it works. at this time it weighs about 125 pounds. he feel it will get lighted as it cures. this picture is with a 12 inch peel for size recognition.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »
norma, chau, i would think so to. how many times did you want a couple of pies and didn't feel like using a lot of wood and heat up time to do so. his is basicaly the size if the primevera 60 with a lower dome.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:20:44 AM »
Small as it is, I would think you could just as easily bank some readily available charcoal and heat it up in half the time.  What's the ceiling height?
Why are there 2 postings?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
The Forno Bravo P 60 is like $2000 right? That oven is well insulated and cooks wonderfully. But no way it can be lifted with handles think if close to 800lbs. ? whats this little baby weigh in at 125 right? so whats the final inside hearth dimension if your base is 26" . The price would be key here. If  go on ebay, you can see your competition for lower priced smaller WFO's But at a mere 125 lbs. I can see this tailgating at giants stadium or a campground or even at the beach ??
John
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:35:25 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tman1

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
How can you NOT insulate it? It's still going to take time to warm it up, and the heat will transfer to whatever is colder. I would think those metal handles will get too hot to touch.  I would agree that there probably is a market for a portable, tail-gate type of a (more) mass produced unit.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
The solid flue refractory is an insulator.  The better question is how is he getting away with no mass but that didn't seem to be an issue in his other oven built with it.  I would eliminate the top vent though.
-Jeff

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
thanks for the feedback. the material that he used is supposed to hold heat and is used as a chimney repair system. he thinks it will hold the heat. the handles are below the 2 inch insulating material so they may stay cool.the idea is that two people can carry this oven to any location easily.
 the floor is 26 inches and the dome sits on the outside of the floor.you have 26 usable inches of cooking space minus the area needed for the wood.a 12 inch pizza will fit with ease. the wall is 7 inches high and inside dome 11inches. these dimensions are one inch less than my oven that is in the below thread.sorry they should have been combined.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
 i do not know the makeup of the solid flue material i know there are lots of homemade ovens that use a mixture of concrete and a insulating material to do the same thing he is doing. in the little webber oven the heat did not stay in that well, the exterior gets pretty hot,but that material was under 3/4 inch including the metal lath material. it maintained high enough internal temperature to do a 90 second pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
Small as it is, I would think you could just as easily bank some readily available charcoal and heat it up in half the time.  What's the ceiling height?
Why are there 2 postings?

I have tried the (lump)charcoal thing and was not impressed. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12521.msg134403.html#msg134403

Member Shuboyje pointed out the difference between a live wood fire and a (lump) charcoal fire.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12521.msg134415.html#msg134415

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:19:10 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
Ah!  I suppose I was trying to cut a fat hog in the ass.  Since you don't need to charge or load the mass with a long continuous fire, I figured you could get to the coal pile faster this way.  Being that small (think easy bake oven), an 11 inch ceiling should mitigate the heat throw over the pie area.
This doesn't translate very well in my big 5 footer with a 17 inch ceiling.  So there is a need for an active flame.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »
The mass and the insulation of the big ovens are necessary to bake multiple pies at once with very little recharge time and can bake hundreds of pies back to back all night.  This oven can't do that and isn't built for that either.  It looks like there is just enough mass and radiative heat to bake a few pies for a small party.  You may have to wait a few minutes with a live fire for it to recharge to bake subsequent pies.  A continuous live fire would be a must in this oven.  And it would eat up wood at a proportionately quicker rate but with the faster heat up times, and baking 10 pies or so, overall it would be a time and money saver.

You may consider doing a bake with and without the chimney.  With this size, it may be more beneficial to lose the chimney and let the smoke exit the front.

Larry, it's a perfect little wfo for the home pizza maker.  Put me at the top of the list for one of the first ones when you're done working out the kinks.  If you need someone else to "test" an oven for you, I'll be happy to volunteer.

Chau
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:52:43 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
The door looks very wide. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
18 inches by four inches. might cut it to 16 next build

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 08:31:40 AM »
 the oven is ready for drying and testing. do not like the angle of the flue. it looks like a horn. he built a plug for it if it draws away to much heat.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 08:52:01 AM »
the oven is ready for drying and testing. do not like the angle of the flue. it looks like a horn. he built a plug for it if it draws away to much heat.

Larry do you think the builder would consider making the more traditional type exhaust, where the exhaust dumps out the top front of the oven and is routed back over the dome to the center ?

I am betting that a good portion of the exhaust on this oven is going to exit the top front of the oven anyway, given that the exhaust (horn) is so small.  It should have been in the 5" to 8" range to accomplish what he wanted.

Everything else looks pretty cool.  Can't wait to see it fired up!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
the inside dimension was to be 4 inches. he basically used the exact dimensions of the webber dome to to scale this. he has a cap for the horn. maybe it will give the smoke somewhere to go during initial heat up then it can be capped.i don't know how involved he want to make this thing. the idea is to sell this at a reasonable price. i am a pizza maker,any engineering help is appreciated .thanks, larry

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
The smoke will come out the front regardless of direction of pipe. Anyone that has a p-60 will comment that 4" really can't handle smoke. Same thing with the small barrel oven I use. It has a 4" pipe andSmoke comes out the front during heat up.
I do like this little guy for  portability and still think there Is a market would not invest much in chimney and cap just let er go out the front that's the path of least resistance for the smoke.
Looking good!
John

I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan