Author Topic: Cutting kiln shelves  (Read 1577 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Cutting kiln shelves
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
I went to the local clay shop and picked up a 20" round, 3/4" thick untreated cordierite kiln shelf.

Wondering what may be the best way to cut it.....anyone done this successfully without cracking it?

Going to use a diamond tipped blade and a circular saw unless someone has a better recommendation. Thanks! -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Bob123

Re: Cutting kiln shelves
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
I used a diamond blade tile saw for mine, the sort that has a water bath attached.
It went trough it like a hot knife through butter, with no cracks or chips, just a perfect clean edge.
RB

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
I used a multidisc http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Disc-Cuts-Grinds-Sands-/270658784787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f04854e13#ht_5021wt_831  in a grinder -  produces a lot of dust so be sure to cut ti outside, and use some dust protection.    It took a few minutes.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

The "wet" tile saw costs $44 to rent for 4 hours at home depot...a little extravagent for what is likely a 2 minute job. Probably the best way to cut with minimal chipping though.

I may just pour some water on the kiln shelf and go at it with a diamond tipped blade on a circular saw. Damn blades are like $30!

--K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
It is a masonry blade, not a diamond tipped wood blade, right?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JordyLordy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
The diamond blade is a great idea.  If you get chips and even some rough corners or edges, you can take them out with an 4" 80-grit Pearl Sanding disc available from Contractors Direct.  Put them on an angle grinder.  You can get other sanding discs from the Home Depots of the world but nothing except a diamond grinder will outperform the Pearl.  Since diamond discs are over $40 and Pearls are about $10 it's a no brainer.  I got great results on my baking stone set.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:01:28 PM »
Jet Deck,  I don't think they make diamond tipped saws to cut wood.  There are diamond tipped saws for metal and others for stone, concrete, masonry, fiber cement products, etc.    You will want one for masonry, stone, cement, etc - usually they are either segmented or continuous, but they don't have teeth like a circular saw blade for wood. 

pizzapan