Author Topic: gas vs. electric  (Read 3340 times)

burner

gas vs. electric
« on: December 10, 2003, 08:31:03 PM »
what's the difference betweenmaking commercial pizza in a gas oven or an electric oven? like why does someone choose a bakers pride gas countertop oven over there electric counter top one?

thanks.

fattire

Re:gas vs. electric
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 10:32:43 PM »
Great question! I'm wondering the same.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 09:07:29 AM »
The heating element in an electric oven is either "on" or "off". When the thermostat senses that the oven temperature is too low, it turns on the heating element and re-heats the oven. Electric ovens typically have a temperature swing to them due to this cycling on and off and don't maintain a constant temperature.

Commercial gas ovens have a "by-pass" feature that allows the flame to be set to low thus providing precise temperature control. No temperature swing with gas.

Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 02:52:44 PM »
Very good description Steve. A gas oven holds a much more precisely constant temperature. That's why almost every professional cook uses a gas fired oven.

Electric ovens just don't have the temperature control needed. Electrical oventop flames also continue to give off heat when turned off. When you turn off an oventop flame fired by gas, it's off.....No chance of burning your pots or pans or their contents.

The time I lived in New York (Till 1982) I remember that almost all Pizza Bakers also used gas fired Pizza ovens.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 09:37:38 AM »
The only plus to electric is that it does not have to be vented the way gas does. Most pizzarias use gas for consistent temp and results.