Author Topic: FLOUR DIFFERENCES OR Which Flour to use???  (Read 1550 times)

Offline BIG Daddy

• Supporting Member
  • Grandpa is THE Pizza Man
FLOUR DIFFERENCES OR Which Flour to use???
« on: July 14, 2005, 07:33:33 PM »
Hello All;
If three pizzas were made with EXACTLY the same formula and cooked EXACTLY under the same conditions; with the ONLY EXCEPTION being the flour used, one pizza formula using ALL PURPOSE FLOUR, another using BREAD FLOUR, and the last one using KASL FLOUR - What DIFFERENCES could we expect between the three pizzas ??? ???
BIG Daddy
BIG Daddy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: FLOUR DIFFERENCES OR Which Flour to use???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:15:35 PM »
BIGDaddy,

That's a good question, but as a practical matter you couldn't do what you propose with a single recipe. That is because the three different flours have different characteristics, including protein content, gluten formation, and absorption rates (hydration). Consequently, one of the formulations would be in balance, but the others wouldn't. For example, one would have the correct hydration, but one would be underhydrated and the third one would be overhydrated. Because of these differences, the three doughs wouldn't behave exactly the same during mixing/kneading and would be different coming off the hook and out of the refrigerator if retarded. As a result they would bake up differently. The only way to properly compare results and minimize differences would be to have three different recipes that are in proper balance with each using one of three flours. In each case, the appropriate kneading, storage and baking parameters would have to be tailored to the flour used.

Nonetheless, I think I understand what you are getting at. Generally speaking, a high-gluten flour will produce a dough that is stronger than doughs made with the other flours. It will have a tougher gluten structure but will be the best of the three flours from a handling/tossing standpoint and be the least prone to tearing or soft spots forming. However, it will also be more prone to snapback because of its relatively greater elasticity. The dough will even feel a bit tougher and stiffer than doughs made with the other flours because of the more developed gluten structure.

When a high-gluten dough is baked, it will produce a crispier finished crust and will be chewier and tougher than crusts made from the other flours. The crust made with the all-purpose flour will be the softest and most tender. The high-gluten crust will also be darker in color than crusts made from the other flours because of the higher protein content and the greater Maillard reactions. It will also have more taste than the other crusts because of the higher protein content and slightly greater amounts of grain components like bran and germ (it will also have a slightly higher ash content). Generally speaking, a higher hydration dough should produce a more open and airy crumb structure than a lower hydration dough, all other things being equal. 

Peter

Offline BIG Daddy

• Supporting Member
  • Grandpa is THE Pizza Man
Re: FLOUR DIFFERENCES OR Which Flour to use???
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 10:43:17 PM »
Pete-zza;
Thanks for clarifying this for me; It has been a mystery to me for a while.  On another note, I received my KASL order this afternoon and hope to give it a try this upcoming weekend.  Wish me luck.......voids r us.....
BIG Daddy
BIG Daddy