Author Topic: Moby Culture  (Read 2131 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Re: Moby Culture
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
Any idea when another Moby lottery might occur? I'd love to give my recipe a shot with this culture  :chef:
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline texmex

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
Cape Fear and sprouted wheat berry bread.  First attempt is edible-just barely!  :-D.
I forgot the salt (nothing a little salted butter and a shake of pink sea salt can't fix)
The loaf is quite dense and just the slightest bit gummy, but that flavor of wheat and sourdough! 

First off, I had never sprouted a wheat berry in my life, and I used no yeast, with just enough bench flour to keep the ultra-sticky dough tamed. The only other flour was what was in the sourdough after I fed it a few times.  When making dough I normally start with a smidge of the cold and sleepy cape fear mother, give it a modest feeding of 25 grams water and 25 g flour, wait for it to bubble then feed it another 25/25 and let that rise then I will feed and rise with another 50/50 and use all of that amount (about 200 grams total) in my bread dough.  I ran my sprouted wheat berries through my masticating juicer and got a really dense blob of pure, sweet, sticky dough and then I forced that mess through the juicer again. It weighed in at 900 grams.  I added the 200g of sourdough, threw in some salt shakes (not enough) added a couple squeezes of honey and dribbled in some olive oil and about a half cup of water with some powdered milk.   Just think of how well this bread could have been if I had done some precision baking instead of not expecting much.   LOL  Oh well...  anyway, I developed the gluten a bit with stretch and folds every couple hours, refrigerated overnight, then started the process again at room temp, it was rising beautifully!  baked this monstrosity at  400 for at least an hour - wanted that internal temp to hit 110 but I got to 104 before I had to turn the oven off because I was running late and needed to leave my house.   :-D

This is something I will be trying again.  The flavor of that wheat is just extraordinary!  None of the online recipes I could find use sourdough exclusively.  Most all of them used other flours with partial sprouted wheat content, plus yeast.  I felt the cape fear sourdough would be up to the task, and I still feel that, but I did not honor the dough with precision. 
I also should not be baking a 1000+ grams  loaf in such a small loaf pan!  I was deceived by the rising of the dough over the top edge of the pan, when it was already 3/4 full once I put the dough in. I baked it when it really had not re-risen enough after I put it in the loaf pan.  I should not bake bread when rushed, but the berries and the cultures are on their own time as we all know, and timing is everything.   

After a getting the full-bodied flavor of this inferior loaf (cough-brick) of bread, I am determined to experiment and make this recipe a success.  All I need is some more wheat berries.  I'll try to post a few pics.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:53:00 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
Cape Fear and sprouted wheat berry bread.  First attempt is edible-just barely!  :-D.
I forgot the salt (nothing a little salted butter and a shake of pink sea salt can't fix)

You made Tuscan style bread!  Salted butter it is. 

Offline texmex

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »
You made Tuscan style bread!  Salted butter it is.

Wish I knew that before I posted my diatribe! :-D
Reesa

pizzapan