Author Topic: holy salty cheese balls batman  (Read 855 times)

Offline FeCheF

holy salty cheese balls batman
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »
So in preperation of tonights pizza i decided to slice a fresh ball of mozzarella and soak it in a dry bath of kosher salt....Bad Idea. lol

After about 15 minutes i thought i would do a taste test. So.. the kosher salt didnt rub off well and i knew it was gonna need a good cold water rinse...

After about 30 minutes of rinsing and about 2 rolls of paper towels...lol, it finally taste like really good fresh mozzarella with a nice salty flavor.

Point of this story...I was really surprised at how quickly the mozzarella absorbed the salt. I originally thought of soaking the ball in a salt water brine overnight but thought slicing and dry salt would be more mellow. Next time I buy a fresh mozzarella ball, I might try an overnight salt water brine.

Anyone else ever try doing this, or was i the guinea pig?

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: holy salty cheese balls batman
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
I have done the same thing.  Some brands of mozz are notoriously bland, requiring a bit of salt added to the water.  But a bit is all, as I have also over salted mozz doing this.  I have also soaked the cheese in salt and heavy cream to try and boost the level of creaminess.  Haven't done either in awhile though.

Chau

Offline FeCheF

Re: holy salty cheese balls batman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
I have done the same thing.  Some brands of mozz are notoriously bland, requiring a bit of salt added to the water.  But a bit is all, as I have also over salted mozz doing this.  I have also soaked the cheese in salt and heavy cream to try and boost the level of creaminess.  Haven't done either in awhile though.

Chau

"requiring a bit of salt added to the water. But a bit is all"
Yeah umm.. I used about 1/2 of a 5lb box of kosher salt..lol