Author Topic: Is this cheese still good?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline matermark

Is this cheese still good?
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »
I bought some BelGoioso fresh mozzarella (1lb chub) and forgot about it in the fridge. I think it's past the BEST BY Date by at least a few weeks and the cheese seems to have air bubble holes in it, similar to Lorraine Swiss! I sliced about half the chub into 1/4-1/2" thick slices and some fell apart. I don't think it smells bad at all, but the package was filling up with gases over time, so it has been sealed until I opened it just now, in a fridge around 34F. It does seem a little sticky to the touch, similar to the way hi-hydration dough clings to you, just not as bad. There are no signs of any mold or bacteria. (I do have a UV sterilizing wand if someone thinks there is a chance of any bad bacteria, e-coli, etc)

Is this cheese okay to use? Is anything wrong with it? Is it separating? I'm almost ready to assemble a pizza.

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Is this cheese still good?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
My vote is don't use it.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
Yah skip it unless it's been too long since you've gotten a good bout of diarrhea and vomiting.  Not worth the risk IMO.

Offline matermark

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:07:48 PM »
Thanks guys... but I couldn't wait and made it and ate most of the pizza... no sickness, no stomach aches, no diarhrea, no vomiting.

So I guess we should ask the general question, how good is cheese past it's date? I also have a 1lb brick of Sorrento Whole Milk Mozzarella I found in the crisper drawer that was dated Sept 30th, 2011. When I refer to a date it's whatever the MFR uses, Sell By, Best By, etc.

I remember reading somewhere that cheese never goes bad, you just cut off the mold! And I remember reading somewhere that cheese is better with more aging. Now I don't know if this applies to mozzarella too, and where does "older" fit in with "fresh" mozzarella? Also, what are optimal temps? I know my fridge is set really close to freezing, maybe this would help extend the date recommendations.

Maybe Scott or someone can chime in too...

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
I've used old cheese before... but there was a significant degradation of the taste... not as sweet and creamy as it should have been... with a slight note of ammonia to it... but, like you, I survived the ordeal... and I vowed to use fresh cheese ever since.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:36:43 AM »
Matermark, the cutting off the mold recommendation only applies to hard cheese.  Same for aging. Critters like water and hate salt, so, as the salt content increases and the water content decreases (as in parm), the shelf life is extended. Fresh mozz is high water, lowish salt, so bacteria has a field day. This is why fresh mozz has such a short shelf life.  Brick mozz (Sorrento), has less water, but it still isn't going to last forever. Here are my thoughts on the longevity of brick:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg154278.html#msg154278

If your post expiration Sorrento isn't blemished and/or bulging, I'd be very surprised.  Even if it isn't, I'm certain that it'll be soft and gooey and won't keep together on a pizza.