Author Topic: Brier Hill  (Read 3253 times)

Offline gretto

Brier Hill
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
Any Brier hill recipes out there?

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Brier Hill
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
Any Brier hill recipes out there?

Here you go

I was at the cigar shop today and asked a friend for his Brier Hill pizza sauce recipe - he is 100% Italian and grew up in Briar Hill Youngstown, Ohio - this is how he still makes it.

It's a some of this some of that recipe (palm of hand measurements). I took the palm of hand to be slightly less than 1 TSP.

Redpack Tomatoes (whole) hand smashed (28 oz can) - he claims this is a must

Oregano, basil, garlic salt and parsley. Parsley is about a full cupped handful all other
spices are dried at about 1 TSP or less.

Bend the spices - cut one green bell pepper into chunks and cover with this sauce cooking separately for about an hour on low while the other sauce sits. When the peppers are soft pour the sauce the peppers have been cooking in into the other sauce and mix it in - (he does heat the other sauce when this is done but for less than 10-15 minutes).

Use the Y-town emergency dough recipe on this site and put a good layer of the above sauce on the skin. Place the soft peppers all over the pie - sprinkle basil and oregano on the pie (just through the finger of each) and cook according to the Y-town dough recipe.

Bring the pizza out of the oven and sprinkle liberally with good Romano cheese (I use Grande Romano) but that is typically trade only - so use the best Romano you can find - if you are the general Youngstown area go to Rulli Bros or Jimmy’s on Belmont.

This is a taste and tune sauce recipe - good luck

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Brier Hill
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
Here you go

I was at the cigar shop today and asked a friend for his Brier Hill pizza sauce recipe - he is 100% Italian and grew up in Briar Hill Youngstown, Ohio - this is how he still makes it.

It's a some of this some of that recipe (palm of hand measurements). I took the palm of hand to be slightly less than 1 TSP.

Redpack Tomatoes (whole) hand smashed (28 oz can) - he claims this is a must

Oregano, basil, garlic salt and parsley. Parsley is about a full cupped handful all other
spices are dried at about 1 TSP or less.

Bend the spices - cut one green bell pepper into chunks and cover with this sauce cooking separately for about an hour on low while the other sauce sits. When the peppers are soft pour the sauce the peppers have been cooking in into the other sauce and mix it in - (he does heat the other sauce when this is done but for less than 10-15 minutes).

Use the Y-town emergency dough recipe on this site and put a good layer of the above sauce on the skin. Place the soft peppers all over the pie - sprinkle basil and oregano on the pie (just through the finger of each) and cook according to the Y-town dough recipe.

Bring the pizza out of the oven and sprinkle liberally with good Romano cheese (I use Grande Romano) but that is typically trade only - so use the best Romano you can find - if you are the general Youngstown area go to Rulli Bros or Jimmy’s on Belmont.

This is a taste and tune sauce recipe - good luck

Here is a finished Briar Hill pizza from the Youngstown Ohio area - it was very good.

When I did this one I used the spices as above (easy on the dried spices). I picked the peppers out of the 2nd pan and combined the sauce the peppers cooked in with the other pan of sauce the peppers did not cook in. I guess the reason for this is you get some green pepper taste in the sauce but it is not as overwhelming as if you cooked the pepper in all the sauce initially - I added some pepperoni and Grande Ramona cheese - this pizza would be received well from any bar in the area. This recipe is a definite keeper if you want original Briar Hill pizza like they used to serve in the general Youngstown, Ohio area.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:49:28 PM by Y-TOWN »

pizzapan