Author Topic: Hydration and Digestibility  (Read 598 times)

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
Hydration and Digestibility
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
Usually I make a pizza of 80% or so hydration. These past few weeks I've dropped the hydration down to 67%. The type and amount of flour, yeast, salt, and oil, the kneading regimen and rise time, and the amount of toppings remain the same. Oven spring is also the same, but the new pies have a slighly shorter bake time (18 as opposed to 21 min. @ 450) and are somewhat crispier-crunchier.

I notice that the new, low-hydration pies are dramatically less filling and more digestible than the old ones. I thought this might just be me, but I've also noticed that regular dinner guests are eating about 50% more than they usually would.

It couldn't just be down to weight: 1.375 oz. water isn't enough to account for the difference by itself. Must be some kind of chemical thing. Anybody care to hazard an explanation of any kind ?

JLP

[Addendum: The new doughs are stronger than the old, with considerable springback during the shaping process]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:27:38 AM by Jose L. Piedra »
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Hydration and Digestibility
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
I thought this might just be me, but I've also noticed that regular dinner guests are eating about 50% more than they usually would.

Maybe they like your new formulation better?
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan