Author Topic: Corn meal on stone  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Dan Mozell

Corn meal on stone
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »
So far, I've always put corn meal on my stone just prior to putting my pizza on it. The cornmeal always burns instantly. Is the cornmeal on the stone (not the peal) really necessary? Thanks.

Offline moose13

Re: Corn meal on stone
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
I have yet to cornmeal the stone itself. Just the peel. Some will end up on the stone after transfer.
I just dust it off between pizzas.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »
I never use corn meal. Just a very light dusting of flour and the pizza slides right off... there's a trick to it... before putting the pizza in the oven, shake the peel until the pizza becomes loose... once it's loose and slides around on the peel, *then* transfer it to the oven.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Lespaul20

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
before putting the pizza in the oven, shake the peel until the pizza becomes loose... once it's loose and slides around on the peel, *then* transfer it to the oven.

I've found that doing this is not only very important to do right before but also between steps of topping.

I also don't use corn meal because of the burnt left over. I use a mix of semolina and flour and keep it to a minimum using the above technique.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
Dan,  you should not ever have to "dress your stone"  All you need to do is get the pizza on the stone intact.  It should not stick,  ever really.   As mentioned, flour and or semolina are MUCH beter alternatives.  -marc

Offline Dan Mozell

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
Dan,  you should not ever have to "dress your stone"  All you need to do is get the pizza on the stone intact.  It should not stick,  ever really.   As mentioned, flour and or semolina are MUCH beter alternatives.  -marc
Thanks to everyone. With my next pizza, I won't put anything on the stone.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
Whoops, I misunderstood the question... I thought we were talking about corn meal on the peel. Yes, Marc is correct, you should not have to put anything on the stone itself... just a slight dusting of the peel, shake things a bit to make sure the pizza slides around on the peel, then transfer it to a hot oven/stone.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
Since we're on the topic of peel dust, while a lot of people think it is just a matter of preference as to what is used as a peel dust, it is actually a lot more than that. A soft dough, one that has a high dough absorption, when placed onto a peel with just flour will tend to hydrate that flour quite fast, thus losing the slip characteristics provided by the flour. In this case something that won't hydrate as fast is needed, this is where semolina flour comes into play (it hydrates very slowly). If the dough is really wet, as some are, corn meal will help to actually hold the dough off of the peel surface, thus facilitating slip. In actual application, we seldom ever use 100% of any of these products, but instead, use a blend of them to make our peel dust, which is all based on the properties of the dough that is on the peel at the moment. My own personal favorite blend is made from equal parts of regular flour, semolina flour, and fine grind corn meal, and I've yet to have a pizza stick to a wood peel when I did my part. By the way, you are absolutely correct, shaking the dressed dough skin on the peel occasionally before taking it to the oven is vitally important to ensuring a release every time regardless of what you're using as a peel dust.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:09:53 PM »
Great tip, Tom... I never thought to use a blend for my peel dust.  :chef:

Offline Mdvpc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »
I use organic rice flour on my peel.

Offline moose13

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »
Good posts, i personally don't like to flour the peel.
From my limited experience the flour ends up on the bottom of the crust and has that floury taste and texture.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 01:01:54 AM »
Good posts, i personally don't like to flour the peel.
From my limited experience the flour ends up on the bottom of the crust and has that floury taste and texture.

I have been using the super peel to place my pies onto the stone.What I love about it,I never have any excess flour stuck to the bottom.I never have to add corn meal,flour or anything else to shake the pie off onto the stone.

Often,I will shape the dough and place it right on top of the super peel,add sauce,cheese,toppings etc,then use this peel to place it onto the stone.

I do have 2 size super peels,one is 14 inch and the other is a 20 inch peel.

If you have not heard of,or seen these,here is a link.I am just a customer of them,and have had great results.

http://www.superpeel.com/videos.html
-Bill

Offline jdenning

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »
I use cornmeal on the peel. Not just so the dough doesn't stick, but I like the taste, and texture. And it generally slides so easily I almost lost one once:) Unless you do something stupid like I did just the other day. Built the pizza on the peel, it moved well. But then wasn't ready to put in the oven, wife got there first. So it sat, and when I went to place it, it didn't want to move.

-JD-

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
JD, Next time that happens try this. Pull a length of unwaxed dental floss between the peel and the bottom from one end to the other. It does the trick. I always have some floss at hand just for this purpose.
Don

I use cornmeal on the peel. Not just so the dough doesn't stick, but I like the taste, and texture. And it generally slides so easily I almost lost one once:) Unless you do something stupid like I did just the other day. Built the pizza on the peel, it moved well. But then wasn't ready to put in the oven, wife got there first. So it sat, and when I went to place it, it didn't want to move.

-JD-

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
JD, Next time that happens try this. Pull a length of unwaxed dental floss between the peel and the bottom from one end to the other. It does the trick. I always have some floss at hand just for this purpose.
Don

This is good advice. Once, I had a pie stick on a wood peel and I decided to blow under it to loosen. The whole thing levitated like a hovercraft and shot right off the peel onto the ground.  :'(

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline WaterDog

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »
+1 for the SuperPeel.

Great for high hydration dough.