Author Topic: Question about Active Dry Yeast please...  (Read 1472 times)

Offline moose13

Question about Active Dry Yeast please...
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
When using ADY do i need to mix with water and sugar for 10 minutes first or just add the dry yeast to the dry ingredients? I have tried both ways, does it matter?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:54:21 PM by moose13 »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Question about Active Dry Yeast please...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
Moose, read here.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16021.msg157061.html#msg157061

Then there is a great discussion here between Peter and the Good Dr. (read all of it)  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15155.msg149707.html#msg149707

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:03:13 AM »
While This doesn't answer your question about ADY,I use IDY instant yeast,mix it dry with the flour,with dry ingredients,like salt or sugar if called for,then dump it all into the water,then mix or knead.It works very well.I never have to proof it or anything.

-Bill

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »
Moose;
ADY should be mixed with four to five times its weight of water (100 to 105F) and allowed to hydrate for about 10-minutes, stir again, and add to the mixing bowl. I like to add the hydrated yeast to the dough water to further disperse it when making pizza dough at home, you can also rinse out the container that you hydrated the ADY in with the dough water. With IDY you have the option of adding it directly to the flour if you will be mixing the dough by machine for 5-minutes or more. If you will be mixing by hand, or mixing for a very short time, you should hydrate the IDY in four to five times its weight of water (95F) and allow to hydrate for about 10-minutes, then stir once again and add to the dough. Again, I like to add the hydrated IDY to the dough water just as I do the ADY.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline PHXCobra

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
Moose;
ADY should be mixed with four to five times its weight of water (100 to 105F) and allowed to hydrate for about 10-minutes, stir again, and add to the mixing bowl. Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

This must have been what I've been doing wrong.  My dough really hasn't been rising all that much and I just could not figure out why.  Apparently, I've been doing this wrong.  Thanks!

parallei

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
Moose,

Order this SAF Instant Dry Yeast (IDY) from King Arthur Flours!  As Chickenparm pointed out, it is much easier to deal with and, in my experience, lasts forever in the fridge!

Gotta be SAF RED:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/saf-red-instant-yeast-16-oz

Best,

Paul (down here in Denver)

Offline moose13

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
Thanks Paul, i will try it.