Author Topic: What flour should we use?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline ju_jubean

What flour should we use?
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
We have been trying to replicate a double decker pizza from our favorite pizza place in Southern Illinois. We have everything mastered, except for the crust consistency and flavoring. The pizza has 2 thin layers of crispy crust, making it a double decker. We can't help but think that we aren't using the right flour. We have used the flours in the stores: Sir lancealot and Gold Medal, and none seem to produce the result we want. What flour produces the best thin, crispy crust? (The crust we are trying to replicate also has a strong yeasty flavor).

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: What flour should we use?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
Perhaps your post might be better titled "What baking process should I use?".   If you have everything mastered but the crust consistency, that's still a huge gap.

IMO, for two crispy layers, you should be par-baking the crusts, then assembling the pie to cook at a lower and slower time.  Thats the only way I can see to produce what you are describing.

That said, any additional information you can provide will help us to help you.  Such as oven type, stone type, dough recipe, times and temps.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline boydcrowder

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
The best bet for that style double decker is to make an average thickness bottom crust, let it sit in a well-oiled deep dish pan pull out at room temp.  Then stretch the dough from the middle to get it up the sides of the pan.  Put toppings and cheese in the middle, then roll out a 2 inch smaller crust, lay on top and really stretch to the edges.  Fold it and twist the two layers together and dimple with your finger all the way around the circle.  Slice 3-5 slits in the top and bake until light brown.  Put sauce on top and thin layer of cheese/ parm (and a few toppings to mark what's in the middle)  and bake in the oven until the edges are deep golden brown. Should take almost as long. If you are using a deck oven, give it a little push in to shorten the last cycle.  So to answer your question, stretching the normal sized top and bottom gives you the proper thinness.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:46:31 PM by boydcrowder »

Offline boydcrowder

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
I should say, use a chicago style pan crust for the base, and a chicago thin for the top layer, rolled out super thin.  The oil will make the bottom crispy, and the top is a cracker style crust.  The flour brand isn't as important as the proof time.  Let the bottom crust sit in that pan for at least overnight. 

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
Sounds like good tips to me.  Look forward to seeing more of your posts, boydcrowder.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.