Author Topic: My Pi  (Read 19353 times)

Offline buzz

My Pi
« on: July 15, 2005, 08:20:55 AM »
There used to be a place in the Chicago suburbs years ago (I think it was a chain) called My Pi--I recall that they made a great deep dish. Has anyone heard of this?

Offline beerisgoodfood

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Pi
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 09:27:11 PM »
There were 2 in Minnesota where i grew up and it was unreal. Looked very similar to DKM's Chicago Pizza.

I looked up My Pi for days on the net to see what ever happened or for recipes and didnt find anything.

Im glad im not the only person that heard of them and that was the best deep dish ive ever eaten.. Later  ;D

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:57:44 PM »
Sounds very familiar.

How long ago was this?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 12:28:15 AM »
found this along with some pretty positive reviews...

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 12:47:24 AM »
My Pi Pizzaria
2417 N. Clark St., Chicago
Tel: (773) 929-3380

I called and the guy there said this was the last 'My Pi' in existence. Theyve been there 28 years.

-burn

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 10:24:52 AM »
That's interesting! It's been so long that I've forgotten how it tastes, but I remember it being good, but not as good as Connie's at that time.

Offline mcgoof23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 05:51:33 PM »
My Pi is a great pizza, I haven't been up that way since last year but I usually try to get up there once a year.  It kind of has a strange storefront entrance that scared me off at first, but once I finally tried it I was impressed.  If you are visiting Chicago it's a great place to try if you are tired of the usual suspects (Giordano's, Gino's E., etc.).

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 07:46:24 PM »
Can someone give a description of this pizza?

-burn

Offline beerisgoodfood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:48:47 PM »
the one i went to was very dark lit with awesome garlic cheese bread to keep you busy.

AWESOME FOOD

Total Deep Dish style with the perfect mix of mozz and sauce on top. 

it was killer and thats why im on this forum

It was ten years ago and they charged 20 bucks min. so the ingredients werent cheap i bet..... hence.. out of business

all i can say is the deep dish is what made me go spend a bunch of cash at huber for an 18 deep dish pan and run around town for 6-1 etc.

im just a lurker but i appreciiate the passion here!

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 10:33:56 AM »
hey, beer--

Hope you use that pan and post your results!

Offline Pistol Pete

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
I miss My Pi.

I was fortunate to have helped build the My Pi in Tulsa in the early 70s and then later, one in OKC (there were only two of us). We used Malaysian mahogany 1" thick planks and solid cedar paneling. It was 220v time and carbide blades. I also did the stain glass window installation and trimming. The heavy maple front doors were 3" thick with a golden Pi symbol for handles.

The Bose sound system and reel-to-reel tape deck was great. The people who set up the configuration were professional installers. The Bose system was fairly new to the market and the location of the speakers were akin to primitive surround sound. The big central fireplace was also taken into account for the music. The ceiling was painted black so diners would get a feeling of being under an open night sky instead of in a restaurant. They also thought of putting tiny lights in the ceiling tiles to mimic stars, but that was canceled because the deadline for opening was coming up.

The owner, Larry, was from Chicago and returned there after the place was completed but would make surprise visits from time to time. He said he got the idea for the deep-dish pizza when he was a boy. He said he couldn't eat certain things but the "pie" worked. Larry was a good guy.

All of the ingredients of those pizzas and other offerings were not canned. The kitchen staff prepared everything from fresh. The hearts of lettuce were torn out and discarded, the mushrooms and tomatoes were in crates, and the sausage and pepperoni were cut by them. Larry didn't allow "store bought" items in the food. The pizzas were cooked at an exact temperature for an exact period of time. I guess that's what made the food so tasty.

A few years later, there was a great flood. We, along with the renters, had to clean tons of mud from the businesses. Anything below a few feet was toast. The My Pi doors were ruined. Whoever applied the varnish (we didn't build them) didn't bother with the bottom of the doors, so when the water hit they soaked, swelled and split and were never replaced and the pizzeria closed a few months after that.

As an aside note, my boss apparently had never seen a Pi symbol, or had forgotten it. He was from a little West Texas town that couldn't afford extra math symbols, or even grass. He was calling the soon-to-be-built place "My IT", until corrected by Larry.  :P

My Pi had the best pizza and pizza sandwiches anywhere in the world and we could have a discount lunch there each day if we wanted. I took several dates there and no one was ever disappointed and the place was always crowded. Too bad it's gone from Tulsa. Many people have commented that we haven't had a descent pizza since.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:48:01 PM by Pistol Pete »

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »
I miss My Pi.

I was fortunate to have helped build the My Pi in Tulsa in the early 70s and then later, one in OKC (there were only two of us). We used Malaysian mahogany 1" thick planks and solid cedar paneling. It was 220v time and carbide blades. I also did the stain glass window installation and trimming. The heavy maple front doors were 3" thick with a golden Pi symbol for handles.

The Bose sound system and reel-to-reel tape deck was great. The people who set up the configuration were professional installers. The Bose system was fairly new to the market and the location of the speakers were akin to primitive surround sound. The big central fireplace was also taken into account for the music. The ceiling was painted black so diners would get a feeling of being under an open night sky instead of in a restaurant. They also thought of putting tiny lights in the ceiling tiles to mimic stars, but that was canceled because the deadline for opening was coming up.

The owner, Larry, was from Chicago and returned there after the place was completed but would make surprise visits from time to time. He said he got the idea for the deep-dish pizza when he was a boy. He said he couldn't eat certain things but the "pie" worked. Larry was a good guy.

A few years later, there was a great flood. We, along with the renters, had to clean tons of mud from the businesses. Anything below a few feet was toast. The My Pi doors were ruined. Whoever applied the varnish (we didn't build them) didn't bother with the bottom of the doors, so when the water hit they soaked, swelled and split and were never replaced and the pizzeria closed a few months after that.

As an aside note, my boss apparently had never seen a Pi symbol, or had forgotten it. He was from a little West Texas town that couldn't afford extra math symbols, or even grass. He was calling the soon-to-be-built place "My IT", until corrected by Larry.  :P

My Pi had the best pizza and pizza sandwiches anywhere in the world and we could have a discount lunch there each day if we wanted. I took several dates there and no one was ever disappointed and the place was always crowded. Too bad it's gone from Tulsa. Many people have commented that we haven't had a descent pizza since.  :'(

Well..since you are an OSU fan I will like you!!!....I worked at the MyPi in Tulsa for a few months...fun
place to work and great food.

I was the guy who made the dough every morning...

You might remember me...I am 6'3" and I was the tallest guy in the joint ..!...LOL

I lived on riverside so it was an easy jog to work......

Too bad it MyPi went away in Oklahoma..

Offline Pistol Pete

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
Well..since you are an OSU fan I will like you!!!....I worked at the MyPi in Tulsa for a few months...fun
place to work and great food.

I was the guy who made the dough every morning...

You might remember me...I am 6'3" and I was the tallest guy in the joint ..!...LOL

I lived on riverside so it was an easy jog to work......

Too bad it MyPi went away in Oklahoma..

I'd have to stretch my brain to remember who all worked there. I remember management, but that's classified information. You'll have to contact the FBI. ;D Try tulsatvmemories.com. You'll find a lot of general Tulsa and My Pi posts in the Group Blog. It's good to hear from another Okie who enjoyed the place. We lament each time a Mazzio's is brought home.

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »
I'd have to stretch my brain to remember who all worked there. I remember management, but that's classified information. You'll have to contact the FBI. ;D Try tulsatvmemories.com. You'll find a lot of general Tulsa and My Pi posts in the Group Blog. It's good to hear from another Okie who enjoyed the place. We lament each time a Mazzio's is brought home.

Heck....I liked Ken's Pizza better than Mazzio's!......

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
Looks like they have two locations in Chicago and they have a website as well.  I found this doing a google search.  www.mypiepizza.com

Interesting thoughts on no overnight rise and having the dough in the oven for the third proofing.  They also prefer to season the tomatoes quite thoroughly given the pic on the front page and some of the text within.  Also noted different doughs, sauces, meats, and cheeses for the different types of pies they make.  Might be worth a visit, I know nothing more than what the website shows and what I learned when Al Roker stopped in for a piece on his Food Network "Roker on the Road" show.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline ralph

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 06:22:23 PM »
Have you guys tried Savastano in Bixby?  Pretty close to the stuff I ate growing up in IL and pretty close to the My Pi my wife raves about.

Offline ralph

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 06:36:24 PM »
This is Ralph's wife...I don't suppose there is a dough recipe for My Pi out there anywhere?

Offline Pistol Pete

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 08:03:37 PM »
Have you guys tried Savastano in Bixby?  Pretty close to the stuff I ate growing up in IL and pretty close to the My Pi my wife raves about.

I haven't noticed the place. Is it on Memorial? And tell your wife the recipe is at the bottom of Lake Michigan with a guy named Guido Goldberg.  :-\

Your wife is from here?

Offline ralph

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »
111th and Memorial.  Julie is a Sapulpa girl

Offline ahinds

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
Apparently in the waning days of the Tulsa franchise (the early 1980s), the corporate owners of My Pi were more interested in suing people over their recipes than extending and improving the franchise.