Author Topic: My Pi  (Read 18809 times)

Offline SonOfMyPi

Re: My Pi
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words.  If you're looking for info about My Pi goto mypiepizza.com.
On the website in a few months it will be posting when My Pi begins shipping its pizza nationally.

Son of the Founder of My Pi,

Rich

Offline Mare

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
Hi, Rich,

Is that the same My Pi that was on Sheridan Road, across from Loyola U and the Granada theater?  Gosh that brings back memories!

Mare
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:03:14 PM by Mare »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »
Mare,
Have you had a chance to try this or other recipes down there is So. Jersey?
Just curious how you are progressing, and when you  are strating work on the Wood fired oven
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Mare

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »

Well, John, I've been busy scraping cold pizza off hubby's pillow. ::)  No WFO in my future, it seems.

Mainly I've been reading as much as I can from this site.  It's all kind of a muddle to me now, but I hope to put it all in perspective soon.  So rest up for the onslaught of questions to come!

Mare

Offline SonOfMyPi

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
Mare,

Yes, it is the same My Pi.  The location you are referring to that was on Sheridan Road across from Loyola University was the very first My Pi, which was opened on August 24, 1971.

Rich

Offline bdiamonddmc

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »
I grew up in Minnesota too and also LOVED My PII Pizza, certainly the best pizza that EVER was!! And the CHEESEBREAD was to DIE for!! They had melted cheese and butter in the best bread you've ever tasted!! Certainly worth a trip to Chicago, I would fly there in a minute...it doesn't even matter where you live, I live in Florida now, and would still think it is worth the trip have one of their pizzas.  I have NEVER found anything even close to their pizza. I found this site while I was searching for for their restaurant, because even after all these years I still want to go back and have one of their pizzas. Maybe I will have to start one of my own!!

Offline levy22higgins

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 12:26:18 AM »
Best deep dish ever had...Love this anytime anywhere!!!

Offline Davydd

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »
My Pi expanded to Minnesota very early on because I worked just down the road from one on US Highway 12 in Golden Valley and that was in the mid 70s. We lunched there often and did take out for the office. My how time flies.
Davydd

Offline Micky993

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
We had a My Pi pizza in Hicksville, NY also. It's was very successful and when it left, a small part of my heart and taste buds went with it. I have tried to find like-minded people and until now, I thought I was alone! Are there any original restaurants left anywhere in America? I would plan my next vacation to visit one. I'd love to have it and duplicate it here at home...anyone help me there?

Offline iswearbuyit

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
My Pi expanded to Minnesota very early on because I worked just down the road from one on US Highway 12 in Golden Valley and that was in the mid 70s. We lunched there often and did take out for the office. My how time flies.

My Pi did exist in MN.  I worked for one in Edina, MN for several years, until they closed down.  I won't go into specifics as to why they closed down publicly, but let's say it wasn't good.  The two I knew of, one mentioned above in Golden Valley, and one in Edina were owned by Webb Enterprises.

I agree as to the quality of the pizza.  I too wish one would open back up here.  I still make the cheese bread at home to this day.  It's very simple to do.  I wish I had the sauce recipe.  The spices all came in a packet, so that portion of the recipe was never disclosed in detail, however, we used canned whole peeled tomatoes and whatnot in conjunction.

Any fellow My Pi fans or employees want to get a hold of me, please do!

Offline ljfalco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »
I see no one has posted on this thread for a while but this is what I was looking for.  There is nothing better than My Pi Pizza and their garlic bread.  I have looked for the recipe for years and of course came up with nothing.  This place (both Edina and Golden Valley) was always my first choice for going out to eat.  Even when given a choice between fine dining and My Pi, I always chose My Pi.  I think I spent every birthday dinner there for most of my life until they discontinued the pizza service.  I miss this and cannot find anything else in MN that comes close.  I don't know why the brothers closed but I heard it was a legal thing...very sad.  I'd love to know where they got their sausage, great flavor!  As the other member said before, the garlic bread was cheesy and buttery garlic... and I always wondered how they got the cheese in it, I believe it was fresh mozzarella.  I've often wondered if the Chicago restaurants have the same recipes?   

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »
My Pi had some of the best pizza in Tulsa. Sure miss the place. I have not been to Savastano's yet, but have heard some good reviews from friends, may have to south and give it a try. Andolini's on Cherry street is very good. Mondo's is back open on Brookside. Went there on my B'day and had a pie, It was very good.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
There's some interesting tidbits in this youtube video that went up last month:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlxj-0cc4aE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlxj-0cc4aE</a>

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
There's some interesting tidbits in this youtube video that went up last month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlxj-0cc4aE

Sauce must be killer because dough looks pretty basic.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:06:24 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
That's what I was thinking too while watching the video. I've never had this pizza before so I have no idea. The sauce might be fairly difficult to recreate with that many spices.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »
Which dough are ya'll critiquing from the vid, the DD or the thin? And please tell how you came to your conclusions....thanks!  :chef:

Also, if that guy don't know his dads "secret blend" I will eat my sombrero....its all tele-vision boys.  :o

Bob
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:01:15 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
I've tried My Pi pizza years ago when they had a location on Clark Street. Great deep dish!  :chef:
I could probably figure out what's in the spice pack if I ever get over to the Damen location for a slice to refresh my memory.

I agree with Bob, that he likely knows what is in the spice blend, but is pulling a "Colonel Sanders" on us for TV.

If I had to guess, here's what I would try:
He for sure adds oil to his sauce (we saw that in the video and it says to add oil on the spice packet label).
The label says: Sugar, Salt, Spices.
If I were guessing the "Spices", I'd say that there are likely red pepper flakes (or some kind of cayenne), black pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano.

Other ingredients I have experimented with (mainly for Chicago thin crust sauce):
Parsley, Marjoram, Summer Savory, Grated Parmesan, Grated Romano, Accent (aka MSG).
Of course, the cheeses and Accent likely don't qualify as "Spices" on an ingredient label, so it's doubtful that he's using those.

-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 11:14:33 PM »
I've tried My Pi pizza years ago when they had a location on Clark Street. Great deep dish!  :chef:
I could probably figure out what's in the spice pack if I ever get over to the Damen location for a slice to refresh my memory.

I agree with Bob, that he likely knows what is in the spice blend, but is pulling a "Colonel Sanders" on us for TV.

If I had to guess, here's what I would try:
He for sure adds oil to his sauce (we saw that in the video and it says to add oil on the spice packet label).
The label says: Sugar, Salt, Spices.
If I were guessing the "Spices", I'd say that there are likely red pepper flakes (or some kind of cayenne), black pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano.

Other ingredients I have experimented with (mainly for Chicago thin crust sauce):
Parsley, Marjoram, Summer Savory, Grated Parmesan, Grated Romano, Accent (aka MSG).
Of course, the cheeses and Accent likely don't qualify as "Spices" on an ingredient label, so it's doubtful that he's using those.
Next time you are there ask for an extra small cup of the sauce to use for dipping....take it home and figure out what is in it....taste it...have your wife taste it, have your friends taste it, have your kids taste it, have your dog taste it....listen to what they say.  :chef:

btw, woof- woof means oregano in dog lingo.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:16:20 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"