Author Topic: after shaping and adding toppings, do you proof befor baking?  (Read 696 times)

Offline sallam

after shaping and adding toppings, do you proof befor baking?
« on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:01 AM »
Greetings

I wonder how many of us proof pizzas after shaping, adding sauce, cheese and toppings before baking, and how many bake them straight without waiting for shaped proofing..
Each method results different texture, I noticed. Non shaped-proofing results in a thinner crust, while proofing results in higher rise, airy crust.

I'd love to hear the best technique from pizza experts. Many thanks.
I'm a home baker.

Offline patdakat345

Re: after shaping and adding toppings, do you proof befor baking?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:53:53 AM »
I have; allowing anywhere from a half hour to an hour. Because I use a rolling pin to shape the dough, I feel that it needs time for the yeast to start working again.
Lately, I have been letting it rise and then putting the toppings on at the last minute so that there is minimal absorption from the toppings.
Results have varied. Will have to keep a log in the future so I can have consistent results in the future.

pat

Offline osloslosher

Re: after shaping and adding toppings, do you proof befor baking?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 02:26:10 AM »
At the pizza place I worked at we had a guy rolling out skins and stacking them on the line.  Some would wait for up to 45 minutes before being topped.  They would also be stretched a little more before topping but it was minimal.  I thought the ones that hadn't sat long had a denser chewier crust than the ones that sat longer.  I personally prefered a the ones that raised for more time.

pizzapan