Author Topic: Tried Reinhart's recipe! Outstanding! (pic)  (Read 1039 times)

Offline moose13

Tried Reinhart's recipe! Outstanding! (pic)
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
I have been happy with the dough recipe i have been using, a bread flour mix that works well.
After reading about Reinhart's neapolitan dough i had to give it a try. Man, i was not disappointed.
By far better than the one i have been using. Thin and soft with a dynamite flavor. Usually there are some crust ends left over, this time there were none. The crumb was a bit crunchy and soft in the middle with a breadstick flavor.

One question, i used King Arthurs all purpose flour. Had never tried this flour before.
I understand the bread flour i am used to has more gluten in it and is stretchier, easy to handle, even toss in the air no problem.
This dough i made last night i could barely make it from the counter to the peel, no handling at all, no way it could be tossed.
Basically shaped the dough by pressing, thought about trying the over the knuckles hand stretch, but i don't think it would have held.
Is this normal for this dough? Is it a combination of the flour i used? What would be the difference using bread flour with same recipe?

Either way i will make it again, the best yet.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:17:59 PM by moose13 »

Offline moose13

Re: Tried Reinhart's recipe! Outstanding! (pic)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »
Anyone? Anyone?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
Hey Moose
Don't know which one of Reinhart's recipes that you used...but some of them create a  very highly hydrated dough and they also contain a fair amount of oil.  It's the amount of water most likely that won't let you handle the dough the way you want to.  Although changing flours will change your dough a bit, if you like the flavor, just accept the dough for what it is and see what you can get out of it

John

Offline moose13

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Here is the recipe.
4 1/2 cups (20.25 ounces) unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour, chilled
1 3/4 (.44 ounce) teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
1/4 cup (2 ounces) olive oil (optional)
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) water, ice cold (40F)
Semolina flour OR cornmeal for dusting

I did think the oil was a bit much, but used it anyways. Possibly bread flour and a bit less oil?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
Moose
While you go on your journey to experiment...take a look at the various threads in the New York style section, and also in the general section dedicated to a few of Reinhart's recipes.  you will find some of the results we obtained, what we liked and didn't like, and some of the changes we made to make the crust more like what we personally liked...you'll find the various flours used etc

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
Moose,

I also experimented with different Reinhart doughs and really like the results.  Hope you continue on your journey.  Nice looking results.   :) Will look for more posts from you.  If you need the different links to different Reinhart formulas and flours used from other members, I can provide the links for you. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan