Author Topic: How to substitute levain for yeast?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline mnjesse

How to substitute levain for yeast?
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »
I have my starter going from the procedure outlined in Tartine Bread. I am wondering how to use this starter as a substitute for IDY and ADY so that I can still use a lot of the recipes on this site. Let me know if my logic is wrong with this procedure.

For example, if I make a batch of levain with 200g flour and 200g water and add 30 g of starter which consists of half water and half flour, this would result in 430 g of levain to be added to my dough. I'm assuming that I would subtract 215 g of flour from the total flour used and 215 g of water from the total water used. I'm also assuming that I wouldn't have to account for the weight of the yeast since it is probably negligible. Are there any other changes that I need to make or anything else I need to consider (evaporation)?

Is this correct?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: How to substitute levain for yeast?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
Some feel that once flour, water and natural yeast have combined and fermented, they are no longer used to calculate total water and flour in the final dough, as the fermentation process has consumed and transformed the individual ingredients.

If you post your original (IDY) formula and workflow that you would like to adapt (including fermentation temp), I might be able to give you some suggestions for an alternative way to approach the substitution.

John

pizzapan