Author Topic: Reinhartís Neo-Neapolitan made in a pan (great!)  (Read 5117 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Reinhartís Neo-Neapolitan made in a pan (great!)
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
Steve brought a regular Lehmann dough he had made a week ago, and had it in a steel pan before he came to market yesterday.  He left the dough proof almost the whole time he was market in the steel pan.  The Lehmann dough baked in a steel pan that had been fermented for a week, then put into a steel pan, also produced really good results.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 07:14:01 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
I am making another attempt with Reinhartís dough made in a pan this week.  I used 70% hydration in the formula, and changed the flours this time to 50/50 Durum (Semolina flour) and Caputo Rinforzato Flour.  For this attempt there only will be a two cold ferment.  I also am going to change the steel pan I am gong to use, since I received the steel pan I had posted about at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16473.msg160865.html#msg160865

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
This was my next attempt at making a Reinhartís Neo-Neapolitan dough in a pan.  I upped the TF.  If anyone is interested in the formula I can post it.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Stud

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2011, 12:17:21 AM »
I tried to make this the other day with rather grim results.  I am trying to blow it up to work in my 16" pan.  I ended up with a 21oz. ball and cooked it at 500* for around 15mins.  I think it was just a matter of not making a big enough dough ball.  Everything looked right after the in-pan rise.  However, when topping I could see it was deflating pretty bad and it basically deflated during the cooking process.  It ended up being something similar to a New York style, but even mushier and soggy in the middle.  The outside rim was ok, but still did not measure up to the pictures you posted.  Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions?  Any ideas as to what size dough ball I may need or even a thickness factor to shoot for?

Thanks for all the help and great info already posted!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 07:01:18 AM »
I tried to make this the other day with rather grim results.  I am trying to blow it up to work in my 16" pan.  I ended up with a 21oz. ball and cooked it at 500* for around 15mins.  I think it was just a matter of not making a big enough dough ball.  Everything looked right after the in-pan rise.  However, when topping I could see it was deflating pretty bad and it basically deflated during the cooking process.  It ended up being something similar to a New York style, but even mushier and soggy in the middle.  The outside rim was ok, but still did not measure up to the pictures you posted.  Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions?  Any ideas as to what size dough ball I may need or even a thickness factor to shoot for?

Thanks for all the help and great info already posted!

Chicago Stud,

I think I used a TF of 0.1154 for the first pizza I made in this thread and 0.1350 TF for the second pie I made in this thread.  If want me to link you to those pies let me know.  I also used two kinds of steel pans for these pizzas I made and Steve used another type of pan that wasnít steel.

If you want to use a 16Ē pan you can put the TF in at the Expanded Dough Calculation tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html  and also put in what size pan you are using in the entry (what shape you want).  If you need me to do the calculations, let me know how much yeast you plan to use, salt amounts, etc.  If you want me to use the amounts I used that is okay too.  I also used two different kinds or blends of flours in formulations.  As you can see my second attempt didnít get the same crumb structure.

Sorry, your results werenít good.  Making this pizza in a pan you need to be careful in adding the toppings because it is something like a Pizzarium pie where the bubbles are delicate.  The bubbles after proofing need to be kept intact for the dough to rise when baking. You might want to look at the Greek thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.0.html  The Greek pies are also made in a pan, but it isnít important there about the bubbles as much, because those doughs are lower in hydration.

Did you ever work with higher hydration doughs before?  If you need any other help, let me know.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
Keeping in the same lines as a pizza that is supposed to be baked the regular way, Steve made a Lehmann pizza in a pan again. This was a regular Lehmann dough that Steve had made and cold fermented for a week.  He had placed the skin for a 16Ē pizza in a 14Ē pan and left it proof all day.  This pizza sure turned out different and was very good from the long cold ferment time and also from baking in the pan.  Steve didnít have his camera at market yesterday, so I took the pictures.  If anyone wants to know more about Steveís Lehmann dough made in a pan, Steve can answer the questions.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
Norma,
I love the work you do and pies you make.Picture after picture,my tummy growls.I need to try many of your experiments.Thank you for posting your newest pies,I believe you can do anything pizza that is challenging to you.
 :chef:
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
Norma,
I love the work you do and pies you make.Picture after picture,my tummy growls.I need to try many of your experiments.Thank you for posting your newest pies,I believe you can do anything pizza that is challenging to you.
 :chef:

Bill,

Thanks for your kind words!  If you have any pans, there are always experiments to try.  Before I actually purchase a pizza stone for use at home, I had experimented with different pan pizzas.  Who would have thought I never even had a pizza stone at home.   :o

If you or anyone else is interested, these were my first pan pizzas at Reply http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg81047.html#msg81047 and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9880.msg85799.html#msg85799  and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9633.msg85835.html#msg85835  plus the link below.  In my opinion, there are a lot of goods posts from other members on the same thread below if someone wants to make a pan pizza. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.0.html  If you look at the pan pizza I made in the first link you can see I didnít know anything about making pan pizzas at that time.

I didnít actually buy a digital scales for use at home in this thread at Reply 4 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9909.msg86148.html#msg86148 and didnít buy a pizza stone for home use until Reply 21 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9909.msg86531.html#msg86531

After reading though my past posts, I really had a good chuckle about some of the dumb posts I made in the past.  I could tell I was a real newbie in all the questions I asked.  You can see from these few links I posted that I didnít know much about making pizza a few years ago.  :-D

So many members and moderators on this forum have helped me along in learning how to make different kinds of pizza.  Of course, having a friend like Steve also helps with him also experimenting with pans.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me!  :)

Norma

pizzapan