Author Topic: 8 oz = 1cup right ?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
8 oz = 1cup right ?
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:35:12 PM »
http://www.pastryitems.com/book_of_yields.htm

I just read the  little caesars thread and he mentioned 3 cups =1 ounce.

Is this a mistake ? different flour ? I don't use a digital scale.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 8 oz = 1cup right ?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 02:23:48 PM »
eric22,

I couldn't find what you were referring to in the Little Caesar's Dough Recipe thread. I saw Randy's recipe calling for 3 cups of flour weighing 16 ounces, but not one ounce.

One cup of water is 8 fluid ounces, but weighs 8.3 (avoirdupois) ounces. A cup of flour will vary in weight depending on the type of flour and whether it is lightly or tightly packed.

Peter

Offline tjacks88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 07:16:07 PM »
I had a question about the weights available on my digital scale.

I can selct ounces or fluid ounces. Since we are weighing liquid and solid ingredients in the recipes on this site, do I choose ounces for solids and switch to fluid ounces for liquids? Does it matter? Do the Lehmann recipes account for this?

When weighing the flour, does amount of humidity in the flour (due to my high altitude in Colorado) matter if I use the measurements for Lehmann? Would I need to adjust the weights due to the moisture content in my flour (not sure I would determine this anyway)

Thanks

Tom

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 07:59:09 PM »
Tom,

Since baker's percents work with weights only, all the Lehmann recipes that are based on baker's percents are recited by weights. That includes liquid ingredients also, like water and oil. Because most cooks are more used to volumes instead of weights and are unaccustomed to using scales to weigh things, I try as much as possible to convert the weights of all the ingredients in the Lehmann recipes to volumes.

For liquids that can be measured in a measuring cup it would be possible to use, say, 4 fluid ounces instead of 1/2 cup in a recipe, but the word "ounce" in that context might confuse some. Using fractions of a cup are less likely to do that.

You asked whether it makes a difference whether weights or volumes are used and the answer is yes. If you look at the document for which eric22 provided a link above you will see that 8 fluid ounces of water weighs 8.3 ounces but 8 ounces of honey weighs 12 ounces.

As far as how to cope with high altitudes situations, I don't know that there is a way of compensating for altitude in recipes, as by modifying the amounts of certain ingredients. As you know, in high altitude situations the usual advice is to decrease the amount of flour in a recipe, or to increase the amounts of liquids, or use less yeast. I suspect that this is something one must learn to do from experience.

Peter

Offline tjacks88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 08:10:06 PM »
I know this is a stupid question, but when I select "fluid ounce" on my scale, aren't I measuring the weight and not volume. Is there a conversion factor in the scale that turns fluid ounce vloumes into a weight measurement, then labels that conversion fluid ounce on the scale selection? Maybe that is what is confusing me.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 08:35:13 PM »
Tom,

I don't have that feature on my scale so I am not sure how it works. I have heard of scales that convert from fluid ounces to milliliters but not to weight. To do this, the scale would have to know what you are weighing since, as previously indicated, weights and volumes are rarely the same. My scale only weighs, whether the container on the scale contains a dry ingredient or a liquid ingredient.

Peter

Offline tjacks88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 09:28:45 PM »
Well, what I have been doing is selecting the "ounces" rather than "fluid ounces" on my scale and measuring all ingredients based on weight in ounces, so I guess I am ok. My mishap with the Lehmann dough being too hydrated has cause me to review all of my procedured again.
I like the spreadsheet recently povided on the board - I may try swiching to grams when weighing for large batches like was mentioned to remove any error I may make since my scale shows pounds and ounces when you exceed one pound.
Thanks!

Offline tjacks88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 09:30:22 PM »
Boy - I should have proofread my last post - it was terrible  ::)

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 02:20:43 AM »
I obviously don't weight stuff  if you can tell.

Glad to get that out of the way.