Author Topic: Kitchenaid mixers which one?  (Read 6138 times)

Offline wuzguna

• I Love Pizza!
Kitchenaid mixers which one?
« on: July 15, 2005, 06:57:16 PM »
I've been looking at mixers online and was wondering which ones you guys recommend.

What are your thoughts on the Kitchenaid commercial 5 KM25GOXWH

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=STAND%20MIXERS&categoryId=310&productId=562
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 07:42:29 PM by wuzguna »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Kitchenaid mixers which one?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:48:39 PM »
I'm not a subscriber to Cook's Illustrated, but I receive emails from them with cooking and other food related tips. Today I received such an email including this item about tests that Cook's Illustrated conducted on mixers (I'm sure that KitchenAid will be one or more of the machines tested):

Equipment Corner: Standing Mixers
We've just finished a marathon evaluation of standing mixers that included 18 models (one cost $1,500!) tested on everything from whipping cream to making cookie dough. The toughest test? Our rustic Italian bread, which requires 15 minutes of kneading: Six mixers failed to complete the task, and shaking, sputtering, and smoking (from the overworked motors) abounded. Even more surprising was the poor performance of some of the 7-quart models, equipped with monster-size whisk attachments that left the two egg whites we tried to whip completely undisturbed. Our advice: A 5- or 6-quart mixer is plenty big--but still small enough to beat a few egg whites or whip a small amount of cream. For full details on our tests, look for the November/December issue of Cook's Illustrated.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 04:29:49 PM »
It is slightly more expensive than a Kitchen Aid, but I can highly recommend the Electrolux magic mill dlx2000 mixer.  It has a much larger capacity than a Kitchen Aid, and the footprint is not that much bigger. It has tons of power to spare even with big heavy batches of pizza dough. I have blown out the motor in my Kitchen Aid Ultra Power (after the warranty ran out), and I seriously doubt you could blow out the Electrolux. In hindsight, blowing up my KA was a blessing in disguise.   I have been performing comparative tests on doughs made in the Electrolux, and my mother in law's kitchen aid.  As far as I can tell the dough comes out more tender in the Electrolux. It also seems to handle better.  It is also easier to manage during mixing as there is no longer the problem of the dough crawling up the dough hook all the time.

One thing I should mention is that the machine does seem to prefer higher hydration doughs, something like 65% is about what I usually get with high gluten flour, 63% with Caputo blue.  This is not really a problem for pizza dough, as this seems to be about the optimum hydration range as far as I can tell. If you really need to make a dough with a lower hydration you can, but you just need to use a different attachment (the dough hook) which also comes with the machine. The dough hook is not as gentile with the dough as the roller attachment, and makes a pie more similar to a Kitchen Aid.

Another possible disadvantage is that a recipe for one dough ball would be too small for the machine.  If you don't mind making doughs for two or more large pizzas at a time you are all set.  After having this machine for a good while now, I can wholeheartedly reccomend it to anyone serious about pizza.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 08:28:50 PM »
Hi Scott,

thanks for posting that info, with each read, I'm getting closer to buying one.

I wish there was a website with some real video of the dough moving or something like that, I'd really
like to see this thing in action.

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 09:21:53 PM »
There might be some footage on Jeff Varasano's website???

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
Hi Scott,

I saw one where he's showing it in motion, but with nothing in it, I couldn't find any other video than that
though.  Hmm, I guess I'll do another search on his site for it.

Mark

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »
I currently use the Epicurean 6qt. Kitchen Aid model. I have challenged it with some of the dry cracker crust recipes. It complained and strained, but its still performing like new.

Another recipe I have calls for 8 minutes of kneading. Motor gets pretty warm and I get a bit nevous.

I'm looking into the newer KA 1600 or something like that. so any news is appreciated. Thankx
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 10:02:29 PM »
Hi Lydia,

you should head over to the bread making group that one of the members suggested... the
DLX 2000 can do what you are talking about and not even work up a sweat.

The group for bread makers is mostly ladies with a few men on it also.  I am mostly silent
on the bread making Yahoo group, but over the months I realize the DLX is THE machine to buy,
this thing can make enormous amounts of dough and it goes like there's nothing in the mixer.

I have grown to be a believer.

I did a search on our site here for "dlx" and spend a good hour just reading posts on it, and every
post I read about it says it's amazing.  I'm about to take the plunge very soon.

here's some info on it that I posted some time ago... it was a quote from the breadmaking forum
from one of the members:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,811.0.html

Here is one of our great pizza makers talking about his DLX:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,795.msg7232.html#msg7232

One video that you can watch is one from a member here:
http://www.think2020.com/jv/Dough/dlx2000.wmv

Anyway with so many different sources talking about how the DLX 2000 eats thru huge amounts
of dough with so much ease, I figure this is the mixer for me.  I've asked about buying the most
expensive KA, and still people say to buy the DLX.  I was going to go at one time with the very expenisve
KA but now I can't do that .

Mark

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 10:25:32 PM »
It appears you are in luck.  Someone is selling a DLX on EBAY.  #4431178170.  I wish I saw it before I spent the big bucks.  Good Luck.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 11:47:23 AM »
Hi PP,

I checked into this, but then realized it's used.  The vendor isn't making this too visable either, I almost missed it was
a used one.  I also found another one, but it's over $400.

Anyway I may order one today if a vendor gets back to me. ( hopefully )

Mark

It appears you are in luck.  Someone is selling a DLX on EBAY.  #4431178170.  I wish I saw it before I spent the big bucks.  Good Luck.

Offline Hi Gluten

• Supporting Member
  • This is how you make Swiss Cheese, not Mozz!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:47:25 PM »
Hi canadianbacon,

Did you ever get the DLX? Like Lydia, I too have the Epicurean 6qt. Kitchen Aid model. Although I like the unit, it really can't handle heavy duty pizza dough. I felt bad for my poor Kitchen Aid (not to mention not wanting to burn it out), so I got the DLX. I have nothing but good things to say about the DLX.

If you are serious about pizza/bread doughs, then the DLX is a good choice. I'm looking forward to many years of use...  ;D

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 11:06:34 PM »
Hi there HiGluten,

Well funny you should ask that, - I ordered it about a week -1/2 ago, and it looks like it will arrive
tomorrow or Tuesday ( according to the UPS website )

I can't wait  ;D

I do realized now, that when I am making dough for pizza or bread, there really is NOT a lot of kneading going on.

Anyway now that I'm making a LOT of  bread vs a few months ago, I am glad I'm getting the DLX.  I have never
really taxed my Kitchen Aid as I have been doing in the past few weeks, so it will be nice to let it do more gentle
work and let the DLX do the heavy stuff.

I'll make sure to take a lot of images, including the box it comes in etc, I'm a photo nut, so I take too many
pictures of everything  :D

Hmm, did you buy one recently ? or have you been using one now for sevreal years ?

Hi canadianbacon,

Did you ever get the DLX? Like Lydia, I too have the Epicurean 6qt. Kitchen Aid model. Although I like the unit, it really can't handle heavy duty pizza dough. I felt bad for my poor Kitchen Aid (not to mention not wanting to burn it out), so I got the DLX. I have nothing but good things to say about the DLX.

If you are serious about pizza/bread doughs, then the DLX is a good choice. I'm looking forward to many years of use...  ;D

Offline wuzguna

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »
I bought the Kitchenaid mixer on ebay and I'm not very happy with It. It can only knead one pizza at a time 3.5 - 4 cups at a time. Is that what Professional Heavy Duty means?. I will definately go with a different brand in the future.

Offline hungry one

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 12:48:05 AM »
dont buy a KA now they are crap

Offline weaverpizza

• I enjoy hosting people in for my pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:57 PM »
This is a question for Hi Gluten, canadian bacon, and scott r...

I am an avid fan of the DLX and have had one for 6 months.  I also have a Bosch Universal and Kitchen Aid Artisan.  I need to sell something ;)

What I find is that the DLX does not do well with hydrations below about 70% in particular when I use 60% fresh ground whole wheat and only want dough for 1 or 2 pizzas.  The KA does so much better that I am considering selling my current KA and buying one of the ones that has a spiral dough hook.  Many people rave about that spiral hook.

The DLX makes great bread and in quantity too (I'm on the mixers board at yahoo as well) but it is not that great with pizza dough.

Can any of you comment on your experience with this machine specifically on pizza dough?  Does it thunk thunk around your roller or slowly go around your dough hook (tire iron) and take 15-20 minutes to knead up?

I am struggling.  I like the DLX but it does not to pizza dough well.  I now understand why pizza places use an Anvil, Globe, Hobart or other large plenary mixer because it is efficient and fast for 40-60% hydration doughs.

Any help appreciated.

Mike in VA

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 12:06:16 AM »
You are right,   I have posted numerous times on this forum about how the dlx does not do well with lower hydration doughs in hopes of warning potential buyers.  Having said this, you can make absolutely top notch pizza dough with these mixers if you are someone like me that tends to prefer higher hydration doughs.  I have no problem getting a 65 percent hydration dough out of my Dlx.  I have compared the final results to 65 percent hydration doughs with a kitchen aid mixer, and I do prefer the crust made with the Dlx.

Two things I can recommend to you would be to try a slow mix gradually adding the flour to the dlx as you go, and to try using one or two rest (autolyse) periods during the early mixing stages.  Fellow member Jeff Varasano has an excellent web site outlining this technique.  Using his technique the majority of the gluten development is done before the dough ball forms.  Once the ball has formed and is just spinning around in the bowl the mixing process is done.  The combination of this gradual adding of the flour and the autolyse periods will allow you to get a lower hydration dough out of your dlx. I usually make doughs without an early stage autolyse, so I end up doing some hand kneading at the end of my mix.  I prefer this anyhow because it allows me to fine tune my hydration to exactly where I like it.

I doubt I would ever sell my dlx as I do feel like it makes the best crust I have ever tried.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »
Weaver

I tried the KA Costco model but decided on KA pro 600. (I used to have the Epicurean with the C-hook). The spiral is much, much better, I haven't found a need to knead on the counter top at all. I only turn the dough in on itself a couple of times after finishing the dough ball in the mixer. I've only had it a week now, and I've only made somewhere around 8 pizza's but they were higher hydration than I normally make.

I have not tried lower hydrations dough yet, and am a bit nervous to try them. I have read comments on the KA forum  that the safety feature can kick on when trying to use any mixing level above 2, especially with larger batches or lower hydration doughs. This would mean that your mixer will shut-off and be unusable for 40 minutes. I believe this saftey feature is on all the new spiral mixer, but you may want to double check. I want to say that the s"pecial cost model" dose not, and has a higher wattage than the other 5 qts (475 wtt. I think) and I think it's the best deal for the value. I personally wouldn't recommend anything with lower wattage if your making lower hydration doughs with any regularity.

Now with that in mind. Since the spiral hook kneads more effiently, doughs require less mixing time and also may not need to mix at higher speeds.

Also keep in mind that the 6 qt mixers, aren't meant for smaller batches. I have found that I have to initially mix with the paddle, and finished with the dough hook, with or without the autolysis step.

Browse around the kitchaid forum, if you do decide to go with the KA. I'd wait until they are running their specials for a free attachment. You just missed the mother's day special.

I'll be trying a double batch of Randy's Thin-crust for the KA soon. I'll post as soon as I do.

Hope this helps.

Lydia

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline weaverpizza

• I enjoy hosting people in for my pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 10:57:18 PM »
Lydia and Scott r,

Thank you for the comments.

Scott do you have a KA and a DLX.  I would be interested in hearing from someone who has owned both.

I am leaning toward buying a KA 600 for my pizza dough even though I use the DLX for my bread doughs.

Also Lydia, I was not clear on which one you thought the best value; the 475? watt.  which one is that for the KAs?

I usually make between 1 and 3 pizza crusts at one time.

Most of my hydration is between 56% and 70% depending on the % of high gluten to fresh ground whole wheat.  I find 60% fresh ground whole wheat to still be very very pleasing.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks Mike Weaver

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 01:52:23 AM »
Mike,

I got my DLX when my kitchen aid died, but I have done comparisons with my mother in law's KA artesian and my DLX.  My observations are probably not worth much any more because things changed recently when KA came out with the new hook.  I would assume that the ka600 outfitted with the new dough hook would be an excellent mixer.  Hopefully someone I know will get one so I can put it up against the DLX.  I have a feeling that with the right technique you could come up with a high quality dough in both machines.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:08:40 AM by scott r »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »
Mike

I was recommending that the Pro HD was a good value for the money and it's probably the only 5 qt I'd recommend due to the new "commercial engine protection feature".

If you decide on KA and can get the pro 600, not the pro6 (they are different mixers) do it. Especially since your making more than a double batch and using heavier flours.

It sounds like a new bowl with a smaller capacity is being released soon. This bowl will fit the Pro 600 and will be helpful for mixing smaller single batches.