Author Topic: Buratto flour  (Read 2716 times)

Offline JimmyG

Buratto flour
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
I wanted to see if anyone on the forum knew what type of wheat flour Mulino Marinoís Buratto flour was made from, e.g. spring or wheat, red or white, hard or soft.  I have check several places online already and have yielded little information other than itís Type 1 flour. My intention is to try to copycat the flour as closely as possible. I have access to some ultra-fine wire mesh which I will use to bolt (sift) some whole wheat flour, attempting to replicate the Buratto flour as closely as possible.  I picked up a 2lb bag of flour of Buratto over at William Sonoma a few weeks ago.  While I do like the flour and it works like a dream for making pizza, the idea of paying $15 for 2lbs of flour makes me cringe a little.  Itís good flour but not $7.50 per lb good. Attached below are some photos of the flour I purchased.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:41:07 PM by JimmyG »
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline JimmyG

Re: Buratto flour
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
One more of the package.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
Jimmy - I do not know the flour type, but European flours are much different from American ones in terms of protein quality. I would suggest finding a spring wheat to approximate, but not equal this flour.

I was wondering what part if the county your are in? I would live to pick up some of this flour, but I have never seen it at my WS.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
John there is a place in Cambridge that sells this flour. They sell couple different MM flours but I think the one that they used in the Bosco class is this one http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=412. When they are done with my kitchen I was going to go see if I could buy a full 55lb bag from them so I can put these pans I got to some good use. They also sell the Ravida sea salt.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:14:54 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
John,
   I picked this up at the Williams Sonoma in Kansas City. I asked the lady at the counter if she could get a hold of it and the next time I went in, they had it stocked so you may have to ask.   
On the side of the box it said that per 30g of flour there is 4g of protein = 13.3g+/- so you're probably right, shoot for a whole wheat in that ball park or maybe a little higher to compensate for the removal of the bran.   
If anyone is interested, here  is a photo of a pie I made with the Buratto flour.  While the flour is speckled (see above), it does not really show up in the crumb. The flavor is sightly wheaty without being too in your face like normal whole wheat.
Jimmy

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »
Jimmy - Thanks for the info, and that is a great looking pizza. It looks like the crumb is open too.

David - Yes, I have ordered from them in the past for Enkir. I have always wanted to try the Buratto for the Pizzarium thread, but they never carry it.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 10:19:21 AM »
David - Yes, I have ordered from them in the past for Enkir. I have always wanted to try the Buratto for the Pizzarium thread, but they never carry it.

Whats the one I linked called? They have the Enkir http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2379 and the other one doesn't have a name just says "Mulino Marino Wheat Flour Tipo "00" Extra Fine" http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=412. Is it the Setaccio flour they make?

Offline whygee

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if anybody was able to find that kind of flour in Canada.

We do have Williams-Sonoma but I haven't had the chance to check it out.

Thanks.

pizzapan