Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 171898 times)

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #780 on: July 07, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
Thanks I actually try'd a recipe I had found on here. It was very good but i'd like to tweek it a lil. I think I may use buttered flavored oil and mess with some of the levels of ingredients or maybe let the dough rise in some oil itself  like in focaccia . this one does not seem to have that same oil'y quality I look for in my CSDP ( new acronym to dispute) or my focaccia bread. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #781 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
Thanks I actually try'd a recipe I had found on here. It was very good but i'd like to tweek it a lil. I think I may use buttered flavored oil and mess with some of the levels of ingredients or maybe let the dough rise in some oil itself  like in focaccia . this one does not seem to have that same oil'y quality I look for in my CSDP ( new acronym to dispute) or my focaccia bread.
I think corn oil is THE way to go and use butter flavored Crisco for your pan. Once you have a solid recipe the only thing to really mess with, to me, would be semolina amounts.

And for a solid, authentic recipe I don`t think you can do any better than to go with member pythonic, Nate, most recent CSDP recipe. He is on his game d.   :chef:

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #782 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Ill have to give it a try I can only eat so much though. I love this site, but it makes things so easy. >:D

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #783 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
Shouldn't that be CSDDP ?  :pizza:  :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #784 on: July 07, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
Shouldn't that be CSDDP ?  :pizza:  :chef:
:-D    you are sharp Ed.

Sorry, I should have recommended your excellent site also, to Miss d,  as a great base for starting out on this style pizza.

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #785 on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
Ya, just checked it out looks awesome. cant wait until my pizza game picks up a little and I can contribute back to the site, there's def alot of helpful info on this site.

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #786 on: February 19, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
Hey, all! It's been quite some time since I dropped in, but I'm still making pizzas and I figured I'd share one of my latest pies and pick the brains of the knowledgeable pizza-makers here :)

I recently moved, which came with a couple setbacks to my recent pizza-making. For one, I lost my pizza stone in the move, which isn't the end of the world since I can just get a new one (recommendations?) I am also struggling with a foreign oven (who would've thought I'd miss old satan's furnace?).

The crusts of my recent pies have been coming out fairly pale and flexible. I've tried increasing the temp, but that leads to over-cooking of the top. I've tried decreasing the temp & increasing the cook time (low and slow?) but after 45 minutes for a 9-inch, there's still no color. I've tried using different types of pan lubricant (butter for it's lower smoke point, oil in an attempt to "fry" the crust). I've tried to vary the recipe to create a crispier crust (notably higher and higher amounts of rice flour). No matter what I try, the crust comes out... floppy and pale. (Note pics below, pic 1 is uncooked, pic 2 is cooked. Virtually no difference in color.)

My ideal pie has a golden, crisp and slightly flaky crust -- I realize that this is probably EVERYONE'S ideal deep dish, but so that it's clear that these are my pizza goals, I figured I'd make the obvious known. :)

The pies always taste great, but the texture is off. (Hats off to BTB and all the contributors to this fantastic recipe!)

Thanks for your feedback!

-Clive
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:10:18 PM by Clive At Five »

Online Brewman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #787 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »
What brand of yeast is used for the dough? ADY or IDY?

pizzapan